Is necklace/pendant bushcrafty make or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
charley beale said:
I really like the idea of making something personal along the lines of a pendant to be threaded on leather. Possibly wood carving?

I have trawled the threads and there is so little on this type of thing that i am thinking maybe it isn't bushcrafty enough, does anyone have any ideas/photos of things they have done?

Many of my friends have trade bead necklaces - kind of an historical touch. We ahve some old beads that have come down in the family, and I've found others at old encampment sites. I used to have a grizzley bear claw necklace, but I gave it away as just a bit too silly.

PG

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone was given an antler ring by a saami folk once....?

I thought it sounded good but never saw a photo.. I wouldn't mind tryin to make one.

Really like all the bits and bobs posted on this thread by the way, fenlander I love that little spoon, I think I'll give one of those a try, and what a great idea to have an ember pan round your neck!! :D

Dan

Daniel said:
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that someone was given an antler ring by a saami folk once....?

I thought it sounded good but never saw a photo.. I wouldn't mind tryin to make one.

Really like all the bits and bobs posted on this thread by the way, fenlander I love that little spoon, I think I'll give one of those a try, and what a great idea to have an ember pan round your neck!! :D

Dan

Why thank you sir!

I use Box wood for ember pans as it is such a hard wood, embers don't seem to burn it. The down side is, its quite difficult to carve. The spoons and fish are carved from Sycamore.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Well, inspired by all this talk of making stuff and Fenlenader’s fish I finally found time to drag my self into the garage last night and attacked a piece of antler I’ve had tucked way.

The end result was this:-

fish001.jpg

What do you recon?

Daniel said:
Daniel said:
I thought it sounded good but never saw a photo... I wouldn't mind tryin to make one.

Daniel it wasn't me but I remember the thread I've thought about making antler rings now I've got some blanks cut they’re not very round I’ll give them a try and let you know how I get on

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
jdlenton said:
Well, inspired by all this talk of making stuff and Fenlenader’s fish I finally found time to drag my self into the garage last night and attacked a piece of antler I’ve had tucked way.

fish001.jpg

What do you recon?

Daniel it wasn't me but I remember the thread I've thought about making antler rings now I've got some blanks cut they’re not very round I’ll give them a try and let you know how I get on

Think it is lovely. Want one!! :notworthy

jdlenton said:

What do you recon?

Veeerrryyy good :D

Mind you.....its soooooo much easier when you have a garage full of tools available :p

How about a competition at the Rutland meet using just a knife ;)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
jdlenton said:

I have a piece of antler waiting to be made into something. Would love to see how a ring turns out if you try it.

By the looks of the fish you made I think you'll do well making a simple ring. That fish is amazing :notworthy , what tools did you use to make it?

Dan

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Daniel said:
what tools did you use to make it?
I used a hacksaw to chop a big lump off the antler and a piercing saw (a jewellers coping saw) 2 files one very rough and one smooth 2 grades of sand paper some wire wool and the rest of the decoration was put in with the tip of a knife except the hole that i drilled with a pump drill.
Fenlander said:
Rutland meet using just a knife
Your on but can I have a couple of different sized knife one big one small and one teeny weenie please? Oh and by the way have you got any usable bits of box wood that i could have a go with wanted to use box for a while

thanks to all for you kind comments I can always find flaws in what I do so I never think it that great but you guys give the old confidence a boost thank you
:You_Rock_
James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
those look very well made but not my style at all and the prices look a bit steap but they are actualy about the going rate (well i'd have to charge that much to make it a worth while venture )there's a few hours work in those pieces

James

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Have been away, my .02c; I habitualy wear an ivory walrus carved tusk pendant that my father gave me on a trip o so many years ago. In turn I have given my son a carved whale tooth pendant. These pendants are a link to each other and our heritage and forefathers. I also make native necklaces (chokers) / pendants and bracelets. Manly yes, a right of passage. CG :yo:

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
Carcajou Garou said:
Have been away, my .02c; I habitualy wear an ivory walrus carved tusk pendant that my father gave me on a trip o so many years ago. In turn I have given my son a carved whale tooth pendant. These pendants are a link to each other and our heritage and forefathers. I also make native necklaces (chokers) / pendants and bracelets. Manly yes, a right of passage. CG :yo:

Hi CG

Have you got any pictures?

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo CB, I am not the very competent in the use of a computer let alone putting up picture but I will try to get my son to post some next time he comes home for a visit. I make chokers as well as bracelets, chest protectors, pendants etc... that I see in dreams. Sounds corny but I hav made "commercial" pieces that I knew to be not for that person and they broke within a few seconds even though my son cut himself to the bone in tightening that very piece, gave them a "dreamped" piece and still going today even after constant use.
Creator only knows. CG :yo:

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
On my "to do" list: One Maori or Hawaiian style ornamental fishhook in bone or antler.

I'm just finishing a couple of longbow nocks in larchwood, taking precedence over my first bone hook.

But I have this vision about a bone hook shaped like a broad triangle, like a widened "J".

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
Infragreen said:
On my "to do" list: One Maori or Hawaiian style ornamental fishhook in bone or antler.

I'm just finishing a couple of longbow nocks in larchwood, taking precedence over my first bone hook.

But I have this vision about a bone hook shaped like a broad triangle, like a widened "J".

Hi Infragreen - please will you post picture when you've done the hook! I am just finishing my first attempt at wood pendant and will post when it's done for (hopefully kind) comments.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have some antler I am wanting to carve but I am concerned about it damaging the knife blade. I am not that concerned about my straight knife as I can always sharpen it but the Carvin Jack blades would be a nightmare to re-do if they got a ding.

How much harder than wood is antler?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Its quite a bit harder than wood and behaves hum how can i put this rather like a hard fibrous wax if that makes sense I've never carved bone my self i usually use files and wet and dry then sort of scratch and scrape in the detail

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE