If I say 'Scouts' what do you think of?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Bit of an off the wall question I admit but here goes! (and i'll explain the reason behind it in a mo)

When you think of Scouts (and by Scouts I mean anything from Beavers to Leaders) what do you first think of regarding activities?

I'm after a complete cross section of opinions so even if you are not involved in Scouting please give your view (in fact I think it is more relavant than those of us involved!!)

- the reason for the question is thati'm tring to work out what the 'general public' perceive as Scouting for a promotional stand (where I hope to have 'things to do')

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Woggles!! :eek:

Edit: Ooh, sorry, activities!! Didn't see that! I would have to agree with Leon and say camping and tasks to gain badges. Do they still do the axe usier badge?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Graham,

I'm answering this in the spirit you asked it mate - as an ex scout of 30 odd years ago

Hmm adjectives

Politically correct
Middle Class
"Outdoorsy"
Old Fashioned
Fun
"Lashings of Ginger Beer"
Knots
"Patrol Leaders"
Merit Badges
Camping
Sailing
Canoes (it was sea scouts)
Weird SLs (two were committed in my troop in three years - 19th Exeter)
Stupid Uniform (it was sea scouts)
Good camps
No-one who knew chuff all about firelighting
Wide Games
Capsize drill (it was...oh you know that :D)
Not something you admitted to going to

Err some good memories ...some bad...called it as I remember it!

Red

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Bob a job (or is that the cubs),
Oh and the field gun thing, where they have to carry a cannon over an assualt course and then re-assemble it.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Decades of failing to engage with the Children of the Working Class.

Cavalier attitudes towards the Safety of Young People involved in Outdoor Activities.

An "Old Boys Network" covering up malpractice and abuse.

(I'm sorry, but this is my experience of Scouting).

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Hello,
Scouts instantly brings to mind some very good memories of when I was a scout. When we HAD to have a knife on our belt! (along with the relevant badge). After leaving the scouts and growing up , finding girls and getting married and having children of my own I was asked to help out at the guides by my sister who was a guider. I found this to be very interesting with the girls always taking a genuine interest in whatever activity we were doing. Be that making something or taking part in some sort of challenge (using the skills they had learned ).
And then I was asked to help out at a scout meeting! Brilliant thinks me the scouts! Loads of memories come flooding back of camping and canoeing etc ……I went along for about 8 weeks but all I could get out of the lads (sadly) was “can we play football now?”. No interest in anything that I would consider interesting to do at a scout meeting! Just could not get them to show any interest in anything but football. Sorry I am waffling now and going off thread!
Chris

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Walking ten miles in freezing wet weather only to get my bovril cube nicked by Bosun/Uncle Bob?(Scout Leader) when we reached our destination at Toyes Hill.

Rediculous standard-bearing quasi-fascist neuremburg rally-esqe church parades culminating in agonisingly boring hymn singing and mutual begging-not-to-be-cast-into-the-pit of eternal damnation for the crime of being a child.

Standing to attention in a straight line whilst having our kit inspected in a methodist church hall which smelled of urine and floor laquer.

Being there for the short time that I was because the only other alternatives were raking the streets or dog poo laden alleyways round where I lived, the boys brigade which was realy realy weird (What the @##> is that all about???? :eek: ) or the army cadets or the sea cadets or some other military organisation recruiting children. In fact there wasn't a club which didn't include being bossed or beasted by military-esq leaders around my way.

I know that my experience of scouting was not everyones, and I have met people since my childhood who have reported scouting as being amongst their fondest memories.

You did ask.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
thanks for the comments guys! (the good and the bad) they all help!

keep em comming! :)

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
Free association……Woggles…helicopter

Activities….camping in more or ,more often, less adventurous places.

Other comments….Adults with a dubious interest in children. (You asked so I posted. This view will hopefully be outdated by modern police checks right? No offence meant!)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think we may need to steer clear of the "Adults with a dubious interest in children" bit as I seem to remember it causing quite a bit of grief last time it was mentioned! :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I absolutely agree BF, I just seem to remember there being some upset and angry people last time and I wouldn't want to see this thread get closed down.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, its amazing what my Scout leader friend has been accused of.

Penknives for once thing...

Drill
Woggles
As a guide, trying to avoid both
A realy inexperienced leader
me being my antisocial best
forget about the outdoors

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Yes, it was me that got a grilling last time the subject was broached, although I was more trying to make a point about control and positions of power over children rather than just sexual interference, which is only one expression of exploiting a position of power.

I did apologise if I offended anyone (and I know I did offend) and afterwards I realised that my comments caused anger unneccasseraly, as the first people to be angered by any such activity would obviously be the vast majority of scout leaders who work hard to provide youngsters with something to do other than nick cars or rake the streets in intimidating numbers. The thread got locked-down and has since dissappeared into thread soup.

Although things have changed since the old days, and there are safeguards in place to make sure that the unspeakable incidents do not re-occur, total protection cannot be guaranteed, but they can't be guaranteed in any social group, so I don't see any reason to single-out the scouting movement for criticism in this area.

The problem is, as I see it, that the stigma has stuck to a degree, the raisng of the point at post #13 of this thread just goes to show that this is a genuine residual image within the populace regarding scouting, and although g4ghb hasn't disclosed his reason for the thread as yet, there is a possibility that it has something to do with percieved image. So the question is: how can the stigma be removed?

Not only this, but why does scouting need military connotations either in this day and age?

My humble opinion would be to completely re-brand the Scouting movement, re-name it, and bring it completely out of the nineteenth and twentieth century and into the 21st. Take a complete look at the infrastructure and see what can be retained and ditch the rest. Lose the term 'scouting' all togeather, it doesn't have anything to do with the activites of the movement anymore anyway.

I see the survivalist/bushcraft/ecological angle as being the way to possibly move it forward. I know that there are many scout leaders which belong to this very forum, into bushcraft and survial skills etc. and who are probably more interested in the bushcraft movement than scouting. What more do children need to know other than the skills themselves. Why do they have to line-up to attention? Why do they need to wear uniforms? Why do they need to be associated with the establishment?

It is a difficult thing to change probably. The international movement must be expensive to administer and the fundraising activity is probably linked to a long standing framework within the establishement which has sentimental attachment to the movement's history. Or am I wrong and is it completely subs-funded?

Whatever the obstacles, children of the twentyfirst centuary need an alternative to scouting.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
In my perception it is one of too many old fashioned organisations. 8 years ago I was an Army Cadet and we outnumbered the scout group about 2 to 1. There were 8 of us.

I spend all week teaching teenagers and they seem to have frighteningly few interests, I think only 2 students of about 100 have mentioned any hobbies. One was a guide leader and the other plays handball at a high level. How do you go about appealing to people who don't like to admit to belonging to any organised group?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You and I normally connect drstrange, and I think we do on this one. IMHO children of the the 21st century need the chance to be children, under the safe guidance of well meaning experienced adults. I personally don't give a tiny rats a*** if thats through scouts, Boys brigade, cadets, rainbow folk or the pixies that live at the bottom of my garden. What I do know is that people like Graham, Kevin (Fenlander) and Stovie are far, far better men than I am.

I am embarrassed to be seen in the company of such men who give so much to bring on the next generation of Bushcrafters and am saddened to realise I will never be such a man

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE