I was walking in the woods and found this...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Whilst I was at school many moons ago (perhaps 600!) three of my mates enlarged a cave into a chalk bank some eight feet.

The roof collapsed, two dead.

It is easy for kids to misjudge but we learn by taking risks. How else did you learn that fire hurts and knives cut?

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
I'm still young, and consequently, I still like to play!
Here's a current work in progress.
176_zpsd4738494.jpg

178_zpse551cd0b.jpg

179_zps70844f42.jpg

DaveBoon

Nov 23, 2012
Cheltenham
If this is kids, then fair play to them - would much rather see things like this in the woods, as opposed to nothing - as it implies kids are outside having fun with bushcrafting, rather than inside killing things on their XBox.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
IMG-20131116-WA0006.jpgIMG-20131116-WA0008.jpg
I had a play around today and partially re did it. My first attempt at a lean to.

Any constructive criticism especially welcome!

Please excuse the messy picture upload. I wanted to delete the original two but I'm not sure how...

Attachments

• IMG-20131116-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20131116-WA0006.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-20131116-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20131116-WA0008.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Looks quite poorly constructed, so I'd be very wary of using it or adding to it.

Personally, I would have collapsed it and snipped that blue synthetic cordage off the live tree.

I've found fires still smouldering and similar half-finished debris shelters in woodland and it has obviously been left by someone emulating what they have seen on TV without actually knowing what they are doing.

bit harsh maybe? some friends and i built a decent arctic lean-to lasted 3 years before somebody came along an decided they didnt like our workmanship, totally ruined it and set fire to the remnants and nearly burnt the copse down.

if you dont like how they did it, go back and fix it, be sure to tell them about why you fixed it and direct them to the forum. no need to destroy something other people have built, just help, teach and educate.

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
Looking good so far MertzMan. Just one thing, if you the the cross beam on the other side if the two trees then the weight is on the trees instead of the rope. It puts less strain on the rope which would increase the chances of it breaking an collapsing.
Make sure to keep us posted in how you get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have no idea. I do know that "Leave no trace" is one of the tenets though, especially in our overpopulated island home.

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ray Mears leaves his shelters standing, I don't see a problem with that. Nobody here has any right to knock down something others have worked hard on.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
He does advise to tear them down in country tracks so it's safe for children and wildlife.
I think he left the one in the boreal forest standing because it was in such a remote region of the rockies.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i agree, however, there are two places near me that we routinely go to and as a result have built strong shelters there that stay permanently(or did). i always took the leave no trace rule as leave no trace of rubbish/abuse/anything that wasnt there already. if you take the wood and re arrange it, surely thats ok to leave?

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
i agree, however, there are two places near me that we routinely go to and as a result have built strong shelters there that stay permanently(or did). i always took the leave no trace rule as leave no trace of rubbish/abuse/anything that wasnt there already. if you take the wood and re arrange it, surely thats ok to leave?

That's what I'm aiming for. I took home a bin bag full of rubbish and stacked what I couldn't take in a pile to be collected next time I go.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
good man, i took took rubbish home that wasnt mine today, not much just a few randow pieces. i actually had an 'encounter' with a woman and her kids who turned up in their vw toureg(got stuck in the mud(more like a puddle:)) a little too. her daughter was eating a choc bar and threw the wrapper on the floor whilst they were gathering chestnuts, mum didnt like me teaching her kids to be respectful, someones got to do it. i was a little grumpy i have to admit

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you leave your fire scar too ? or do you clear that ?

Often having a 'focus' simply becomes the site of a houf where the drunken eejits decide to hang out.
Leave no trace, nothing here to hang around. Nothing to show you've ever been there. Just a nice bit of woodland :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE