I was walking in the woods and found this...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
See a few near less remote areas, like of footpaths. Usually kids dens but sometimes people recreating things they've seen on the telly.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Ive always put it down to kids.... some of the ones Ive seen would only fit a kid... or a hobbit....

Remember making a few myself in my youth

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Looks quite poorly constructed, so I'd be very wary of using it or adding to it.

Personally, I would have collapsed it and snipped that blue synthetic cordage off the live tree.

I've found fires still smouldering and similar half-finished debris shelters in woodland and it has obviously been left by someone emulating what they have seen on TV without actually knowing what they are doing.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I usually dismantle them and make the place 'as new' if I have the time.

I stumbled across this one in Germany a while back, it had been there for a while.

P4120030.JPG

:)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I'm always happy to come across things like this. I always thought it was young scouts. Good on them I say. Practice makes improvement.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm always happy to come across things like this. I always thought it was young scouts. Good on them I say. Practice makes improvement.

Pretty much that^.
Hell, pretty much any interesting kid makes dens, and the uncool ones destroy them.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Problem is, you put 100+ kg of wet logs and woodland debris on that frame and then someone decides to sleep in it ...

Safety first, Fun last.

Stay safe kids ;)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Problem is, you put 100+ kg of wet logs and woodland debris on that frame and then someone decides to sleep in it ...

Safety first, Fun last.

Stay safe kids ;)

jeez, how old are you ? were you never young and played in the woods ? did you put H & S first when you were 10 ? if not, how come you're still here ? stop wrapping the kids in cotton wool !!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Bit uncalled for buddy, would you want your kids (any kids for that matter) coming to grief under 200kg of timber and wet debris?

I'll bow out of this discussion now if you intend to get all 'health and safety gone mad' on me, I'm just saying the frame looks unstable, thats all matey, thats all ;)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
jeez, how old are you ? were you never young and played in the woods ? did you put H & S first when you were 10 ? if not, how come you're still here ? stop wrapping the kids in cotton wool !!

To be honest I had the same thought, seems a tad unnecessary to collapse some kid's fun out in the woods. I understand your view but the majority of kids aren't subsequently going to sleep in those kinds of shelters so to collapse them is just kind of harsh IMO..

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bit uncalled for buddy, would you want your kids (any kids for that matter) coming to grief under 200kg of timber and wet debris?

I'll bow out of this discussion now if you intend to get all 'health and safety gone mad' on me, I'm just saying the frame looks unstable, thats all matey, thats all ;)

200 kilos spread out over that area isn't really all that dangerous TBH. Yes I'd let my grandkids play under it. Hell I had much heavier stuff than that lean-to fall on me as a kid and laughed it off.

I only start to worry when they dig into a sand or clay bank.

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I didn't mean to stir up the hive!

Yes, it's not build to the 'standard', but for a kids effort with probably clapped out tools I don't think it's such a bad effort. I'd still want to reinforce the main beam tho.

Kids will be kids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE