Industrial sewing in Manchester

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Good evening all.

If this is the wrong place, could someone please advise me as to where it SHOULD be, please ?
I bought 2 of these
and I'd like to enhance the velcro fastening between the ground sheet and the bottom of the bivvies.

I bought the velcros and when I took it to a machinist, she said her machine wasn't built for that heavy duty work.

So is there any one in the Manchester area that does do that work and has an available slot in their schedule ??

Any help would be appreciated here.

Oh and its 2.9 mtrs diameter, about 9.1 mtrs per run so about 37 mtrs total.

Cheers
Dave

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m not in the Manchester area but:

When I wanted to modify my tipi I was told the same.
I found a local truck curtain repair shop and sign maker. They were very helpful and got the job done at a fair price.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
You could buy a second hand sewing machine for probably less than what it will cost you for somebody else to do the work and then you can make any repairs/modifications you want yourself. Just a thought. I needed a few repairs made to an old French army tent so I looked on Facebook marketplace and found a Singer 9018 for £20.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I also have a little Singer.
It can do repairs to polycotton but it won’t handle two layers of heavy duty repair fabric.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
The only thing my little Singer has failed on so far is sewing through 2 layers of leather. It'll sew through 1 but not 2.

It sews through 4 layers of 16oz cotton canvas without too much of a struggle..

The machine in question..

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Where the straps are attached to the body of the backpack I made, in places there must be 4 layers of 16oz canvas, interfacing, a strip of leather inside the straps and 2 layers of webbing. It was touch and go on these sections, but it did it.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Thank you all for the top tips and whilst I like to 'have a go', I have no idea on what would be classed as a rugged enough set up for the task.
I'll be on the look out for a sailmaker / repairer in the area.
Loads of thanks for the help . No sarc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE