Day Out Afternoon in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Finally got out into the woods again to actually have a sit down, a brew and something to eat.

The recent winds have taken their toll on the woods around here, lots of fallen pine and birch. Saw a fair few widow makers around as well so was careful selecting my spot.

1706459962141.png

Squirrels are still busy, apparently. Lots of sign around, seems they've still got plenty to eat.

1706460054946.png

Some of the ground was quite soggy, so we moved to slightly higher ground and I made use of a fallen pine to have somewhere to perch.

1706460133985.png

Just a very quick tarp setup to keep the wind off and stop pinecones/twigs landing on me when the breeze picks up. No rain today, thankfully.

1706460223340.png

Water on the twig stove for a brew. I bought some of my own seasoned wood I'd battened down yesterday, just in case everything was too soggy as I don't want to go cutting up anything else in these woods. Tumble drier fluff, birch bark and a spark got it going in one strike.

1706460320822.png

Today's lunch, courtesy of the US Armed Forces. Cup of tea whilst it warms itself up. Sounds quite nice!

1706460376638.png
1706460575968.png

...looks like something scraped off of the road after the Running of the Bulls, only they fed the bulls vindaloo for the last 48 hours.

1706460597249.png

Oh well. It tasted OK, for American shelf stable food. And they have the audacity to attack our culinary offerings...

Need another brew after that Michelin starred offering..

1706460814934.png

Finn's got him self tied to a tree, so I untangled him and let him have a run around off lead for a while now my hands are not full of radioactive looking 'cheese' and 'beef patty'.

1706460881589.png

Took the poncho down and made good the ground I'd disturbed. Had the stove on a soggy bit of bark, but doused everything with water just to be sure. No scorched ground.

1706460952357.png

Took the long way back to the car so Finn could have a good snuffle (still hoping he'll train himself to find truffles...) and I could enjoy walking through some more mixed woodland on the way back to the car.

1706461049033.png

Was lovely to get out in the woods and brew up. Sat in the woods, smell of wood smoke and a nice hot brew, can't beat it.

Attachments

• 1706460596471.png
    1706460596471.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 1706460785113.png
    1706460785113.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Yep, Nice looking outing :)
I've never had any 'rations' since the old British issue in the early eighties - I intend to keep it that way :)

Last time I ate any in anger was in 2010, the British ones are way better in my opinion.

I don’t blame you, certainly with the US ones.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
nice write up great to get out .....I have had a couple trips to my small woodland to collect logs for home....was a couple of pines blown down.....unfortunately will not be going there much longer the council are putting a road through it......progress

• Sad
Reactions: Toddy and Chris
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Finally got out into the woods again to actually have a sit down, a brew and something to eat.

The recent winds have taken their toll on the woods around here, lots of fallen pine and birch. Saw a fair few widow makers around as well so was careful selecting my spot.

View attachment 85132

Squirrels are still busy, apparently. Lots of sign around, seems they've still got plenty to eat.

View attachment 85134

Some of the ground was quite soggy, so we moved to slightly higher ground and I made use of a fallen pine to have somewhere to perch.

View attachment 85135

Just a very quick tarp setup to keep the wind off and stop pinecones/twigs landing on me when the breeze picks up. No rain today, thankfully.

View attachment 85136

Water on the twig stove for a brew. I bought some of my own seasoned wood I'd battened down yesterday, just in case everything was too soggy as I don't want to go cutting up anything else in these woods. Tumble drier fluff, birch bark and a spark got it going in one strike.

View attachment 85137

Today's lunch, courtesy of the US Armed Forces. Cup of tea whilst it warms itself up. Sounds quite nice!

View attachment 85138
View attachment 85139

...looks like something scraped off of the road after the Running of the Bulls, only they fed the bulls vindaloo for the last 48 hours.

View attachment 85141

Oh well. It tasted OK, for American shelf stable food. And they have the audacity to attack our culinary offerings...

Need another brew after that Michelin starred offering..

View attachment 85143

Finn's got him self tied to a tree, so I untangled him and let him have a run around off lead for a while now my hands are not full of radioactive looking 'cheese' and 'beef patty'.

View attachment 85144

Took the poncho down and made good the ground I'd disturbed. Had the stove on a soggy bit of bark, but doused everything with water just to be sure. No scorched ground.

View attachment 85145

Took the long way back to the car so Finn could have a good snuffle (still hoping he'll train himself to find truffles...) and I could enjoy walking through some more mixed woodland on the way back to the car.

View attachment 85146

Was lovely to get out in the woods and brew up. Sat in the woods, smell of wood smoke and a nice hot brew, can't beat it.
A cup of tea in the woods is a hard thing to beat.

Nice write up.

Reactions: Chris and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE