How to Make a Fire Fork!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The good news for me is that most things I cook over a fire end up heavily carbonised anyway, hopefully that will help counteract any poisoning I may subject myself to :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm pretty sure a wire coat hanger would work really well.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
What you need:
18" of relatively stiff steel wire (you can snarf this from a broken fence.)
Wire Cutters
Strong Pliers (Square or round nose, it doesn't matter)
Something Cylindrical.

'Snarf' is the funiest word i've heard this year :) Great thread, Good Job.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
just read this, good tutorial, thanks for putting it up and keep them coming :D

For those that actually got heated about it, err...why? It's an appropriate subject in the appropriate forum, if you don't like things that people make then don't come and look in this forum, stick to the ones that will not upset your puritan views on what you believe bushcraft is. As for the site going down the pan for allowing appropriate posts/threads in the appropriate places...I'm just confused...:rolleyes:
:D

Hey 'Tony', if that is in fact your real name -which I doubt- you leave my mate Jason alone,,:cussing:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aaron, you are well out of line regardless of whether this was an attempt at humour, sarcasm or irritation.

"Hey 'Tony', if that is in fact your real name -which I doubt- you leave my mate Jason alone,, :cussing: "

Two Mods have stated quite clearly that the thread is fine, in the right place, and there is no reason for any dispute.
Tony not only runs the BcUK website, he allows folks like yourselves to have a voice on it.

There are very few rules, might I suggest you familiarise yourself with them *before* you post again in this manner.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45

Meanwhile you have been carded.

Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey 'Tony', if that is in fact your real name -which I doubt- you leave my mate Jason alone,,:cussing:

Ah, heck you caught me :puppy_dog Do you want to tell everyone that's known me for 30 odd years that Tony just isn't my name? I'm not sure how many would believe you but i'm sure that you've based your assumption on something?

As for your mate Jason, heck, I think he's ok and i've enjoyed spending time with him in the past, ask him about the nice big salmon of mine that he learned to ponass with. (Oh, by the way, he calls me 'Tony' as well ;) ) What your post does is prolong an issue that was dead and buried, we don't drag things out, a point was made and that was the end of it..not any more it seems because you wanted to make a point, do the tit for tat thing, which is fine, you obviously thought about it and posted because it was important to you.

For clarification though - I think this thread is fine and it's in the right place for the content posted, just like I think that puritan views (of which I admit to a few) are also appropriate when in the right place, or when discussing specific subjects where opinion is part of the conversation, now and then they don't combine well though and that's when we point out that it's not appropriate.

Hope that explains things ;)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I assure you Toddy and Tony it wasnt an attempt at anything or trying to drag anything out, I am just sticking up for a good mate of mine. Feel free to do what you feel you must (and have done). And as regards reading the forum rules, I'm afraid that I feel that it would lead to me spending two precious minutes of my life that I wouldnt get back.

And Tony - sorry about the identity mixup but I was told that you were in fact Lord Lukan, on the run these past years. Obviously the drunken man in the bus station this morning was mistaken!

Cheers, Aaron:)

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Ah, heck you caught me :puppy_dog Do you want to tell everyone that's known me for 30 odd years that Tony just isn't my name? I'm not sure how many would believe you but i'm sure that you've based your assumption on something?

As for your mate Jason, heck, I think he's ok and i've enjoyed spending time with him in the past, ask him about the nice big salmon of mine that he learned to ponass with. (Oh, by the way, he calls me 'Tony' as well ;) ) What your post does is prolong an issue that was dead and buried, we don't drag things out, a point was made and that was the end of it..not any more it seems because you wanted to make a point, do the tit for tat thing, which is fine, you obviously thought about it and posted because it was important to you.

For clarification though - I think this thread is fine and it's in the right place for the content posted, just like I think that puritan views (of which I admit to a few) are also appropriate when in the right place, or when discussing specific subjects where opinion is part of the conversation, now and then they don't combine well though and that's when we point out that it's not appropriate.

Hope that explains things ;)

Very well said Tony and Toddy,and my apologies for getting a bit irate in thread,i most probably will again sometime get irate, but am in total agreement with the way this forum is moderated.

Bernie

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Just baffles me how an informative thread by cobweb, on making a toasting fork out of a bit of scrap wire, galvanised coat hanger or whatever,can cause all this hassle and must admit i got myself roped in.

Bernie

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
:lurk: This thread had gone completely weird, I haven't a clue why this is gone this way...
I never thought that fire forks would be such a contentious issue...
:twak: :AR15firin :welcome:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
This may be a silly question, and goodness knows I'm actually slightly scared to ask it now, but now I've had a thunk about it, I don't get it. Not fire forks, they seem perfectly good, we had a mini trident type of one for our coal fire, and I dare say many of you also had / have something similar if you've got coal fires, but it was thinking about the trident style that made me ponder. Would it be easier to split a stick and insert a U shaped bit of wire in the split and bind it? I am I missing something in the design and usage here, quite likely really as I tend to miss the most obvious even if it's staring me in the face. I'm not saying the bendy thing isn't good, it looks cool as a cucumber I'm just curious. Or is it that once you've done all the bendyness you don't need to split and bind.. ahh see told you I was daft. Answered me own question. well well well.

Cheers Nag.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
The thing about splitting the stick is that you still need to split it, probably using a knife. Split too little and the cleft won't stop unwanted rotation. Too much and the split will wander to one side and break off.

The nice thing about these gadgets is that you don't need a knife at all. Just snap a stick off.

I made half a dozen after watching my 16 year old cousin and three of his mates stood in a line sharpening sticks with their SAKs. The follow through was treacherous. If they hadn't all be sharpening in unison they would've punchered each others lungs.

I used an old wire grill shelf from a oven. Ideal, apart from being a tad difficult to bend. Grips the stick well though, and perfect for after dinner entertainment by gripping it on a 16 year olds' little finger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE