How to Make a Fire Fork!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
...Great idea, and great pictures too! Dare i say, :You_Rock_

(And if people used half the amount of energy required to make negative posts, on overlooking the parts they wanted to make negative comments about, things`d be a whole lot better in this world.)

Aarya,

First off, welcome to the forums, hopefully as you say you're a lurker, you'll not be thinking that all threads are this demoralising ?!*

Secondly, maybe as a result of this being your first post and are breathing 'fresh air', thank you for rising above the tittle-tattle that has overshadowed this post. Your closing words should be an inspiration to some of those who have posted above.

(I'm all for free speech, but unhelpful negative remarks are just pointless, nevermind not knowing when to pipe down as you've made your point. This comment is not aimed at every negative comment, many are properly made / inquisitive / useful, its just those that seem to be posting for 'sport'.)

As far as the forum being all about kit, perhaps you've overlooked the category you're reading / should find another site if this one is no longer to your liking. From the number of useful replies & views this thread has got I'd say it has been of interest to many.

I hope that Cobweb & Dr O aren't completely put off posting in future.

Rant over.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
just read this, good tutorial, thanks for putting it up and keep them coming :D

For those that actually got heated about it, err...why? It's an appropriate subject in the appropriate forum, if you don't like things that people make then don't come and look in this forum, stick to the ones that will not upset your puritan views on what you believe bushcraft is. As for the site going down the pan for allowing appropriate posts/threads in the appropriate places...I'm just confused...:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing some more articles :D

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
just read this, good tutorial, thanks for putting it up and keep them coming :D

For those that actually got heated about it, err...why? It's an appropriate subject in the appropriate forum, if you don't like things that people make then don't come and look in this forum, stick to the ones that will not upset your puritan views on what you believe bushcraft is. As for the site going down the pan for allowing appropriate posts/threads in the appropriate places...I'm just confused...:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to seeing some more articles :D

Very well said Tony.

bernie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
This has got to be the best thread I have read in a long time.....
I do not have a telly, but this thread is my Eastenders... It has it all ....
Toddy...Where you said "Enough" I nearly fell off my armchair laughing....
Excellent tutorial BTW....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D My only excuse is that it was a looooong night :rolleyes: and three times I fankled 3 x 25 metres of linen thread trying to make a fishing line :( while reading the forum threads last night :eek:

I don't watch tv but for maybe 5 or 10 minutes a week :eek: What you get on this forum is me as is, not as an imitation of a character from a soap opera.

Actually it's pretty good on BcUK; there are less than a handful of people, out of thousands of members on the forum, that I don't think I could be bothered to either work or walk or talk, with :cool:

Two foot of bendy wire....:rolleyes: :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Uhmmm sorry if I've stepped into the middle of an argument...

As I mentioned previously, love the tutorial - photos are technically great too - good job! Anyway, the fireforks I saw on leevalley.com are at http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=58249&cat=2,40725,45454 (hope you all can see them)... they're the ones I got for Christmas. As someone previously said on this posting, they keep the food from rotating and slipping down the stick - quite useful and of course small and won't weigh down your kit. Convenient, and doesn't need any upkeep. Hope to see more tutorials like yours on this site!

Good idea for those of us who camp out!

Cheers,

Mungo

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
My daughter ate half a tub of zinc oxide cream when she was six months old without any ill effects. I rang the hospital and they said it was very common for babies to eat this particular brand of cream and they had never known anyone to have ill effects except diarrhea.

Personally I prescribe to a deliberate self poisoning policy, as i find the best way discovering if something is poisonous for your good self to try it out. Everything is toxic it is just a matter of degree, if a substance is ingested to extent that mild poisoning is produced you know the effect level. BUT THEN ME AND DR ONION ARE IDOITS;)
Zinc oxide is non toxic, zinc oxide fumes are extremely harmful. Not to mention the fact zinc oxide cream is not pure zinc oxide.

I have to say self poisoning is stupid. Plenty of things will kill you in very small quantities.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oh dear,

What started out as a fine thread, which has inspired me to try out Cobwebs's innovation, has gone down hill fast.

Is there something in the air or water that is bringing on a fog of negativity in the UK generally not only in this thread?

Lets be kind and take the statements expressed in the best possible way.

Those who point out that there is zinc oxide on some wire are merely alerting you to a possible risk so you can make up your own mind. They are not the health police nor did it seem that they were out to denigrate the intelligence of others.

Similarly those who refer to "self poisoning" are simply pointing out that this is the basis of all dietary and medical discovery. Where would we be if our ancestor shamans, herbalists and "witches" did not self experiment with unknown plants and substances? The unknown becomes food (whether staple or spice) or medicine and enlarges our dietary range and betters our health

The shaman's self experiment is arguably morally superior to the modern scientist who poisons others during drug trials. It may even be methodologically sounder.

If I say something like "what would a BBQ be like without carcinogens" it should not be taken as a reckless abuse of my health or a wish to get cancer.

My daughter and I went for a bush walk and cook up this morning. Getting out is good for ones mental health. I urge members to get out as much as possible.

Everything seems better when you gaze into a fire, sit by a brook or look at the hills

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I have to say I like the idea of getting a bit of wire and bending it so it holds a stick in place while I cremate some food! In all likely hood I'm not likely to do it, but I don't care, as I like seeing other people play with ideas and make things.

There are many things that may or may not hurt / kill / tickle us and I've found a fair few of them in the damnedest places, up trees, 30 meters under water, in deep dark dank pits, and have survived all, with the merest of scratches! However I'd still rather know what the nasties were, just in case. Hmmm, if you burnt something on the wire and turned it to charcoal ( the food not the wire.. ) .. would that absorb any nasties?.. probably not, and not a serious question. No really it wasn't. Don't answer, please.

From playing with ideas comes development of new ideas. I love seeing picture tutorials of just about anything, no matter how simple or complex. So well done for sharing this. More I say! More!

Cheers, Nag.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A bin that we used for burning sensitive information in Iraq was zinc coated, and it melted off when we lit a large paper fire in in. Do be careful and don't assume that nothing can happen, although I doubt you would come to harm. Get some stainless kebab skewers to bend into shape, they are long and will do the job just as well.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
*Pokes head from under blanket*

Finished fighting yet? :p lol

That's a great idea spamel! The pointy end would be perfect and it would be easy to sharpen up the other one :D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just read this thread with disbelief quite honestly.

Firstly, nice article Cobweb, I like things like this, I wouldn't take it light weight camping, and yes you could carve them but what the hell I've got a set of fold up titanium chopsticks.... IMay get the DoE kids making some of these.

Don't stop posting Dr O, if the others don't want the info they don't have to read it, yes there is an risk in everything but it doesn't cost anything to be better informed, whether or not you act on it is personal choice, but don't give up because of others moaning.

There are some really negative comments on here that are in no way constructive, lets try and make this positive please, I'm off work for a fortnight now and not being able to move far I really don't want to sit here and read petty disagreements.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
So any solid conclusions on the best wire to use?

Would a wire coathanger do the job, or does it need to be a bit stiffer?

Would be great to see pics of any other efforts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE