How to Make a Fire Fork!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you are into wire work I recommend the book "Skills of the Australian Bushman" by Ron Edwards.
This has "how to" type descriptions of all sorts of things from kids toys to swags, buildings to boats, plaiting to telling a horses age from its teath!, leather work to making a didgeridoo mainly using scrap and using LOTS of fencing wire!

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Spamel,
I have absolutely no interest in being negative to any or all threads, my post was merely to indicate the possibility of a health issue that I want people to be aware of. I am more than willing to remove my post if someone can come up with definate information as to the heat causing toxic emmission issue.
I'm sure that if you were to look back at my posts, there would be a good number advising making something for yourself rather than buy blindly without trying.

Ogri the trog

Just to add to this, Zinc Oxide vapour forms at 750C (under normal conditions and Zinc itself will boil at 900C) which on inhalation can cause "Metal Fume Fever". (I only know this as it happened to me in a lab with a leaky fume cupboard) This is reversible and will alleviate itself over time (assuming you remove yourself from exposure!) with no long term damage being recorded for brief exposure.

Exposure limit for Zinc Oxide is 8 hour TWA 5mg/m3. Zinc fumes from a small piece of wire in a well ventilated area (outside) will be minimal if any (campfires can produce anything up to 500C - sometimes more and sometimes less) but there is always the chance of transfer from the metal itself to the food in contact with it.

I personally would be very cautious about using zinc coated anything in a fire but that's just me and my "non self poisoning policy"!! lol :lmao:

Just my 2 cents worth and personal experience from working in the chemical industry and producing COSHH reports on a daily basis.

Cheers

Dr O

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Just to add to this, Zinc Oxide vapour forms at 750C (under normal conditions and Zinc itself will boil at 900C) which on inhalation can cause "Metal Fume Fever". (I only know this as it happened to me in a lab with a leaky fume cupboard) This is reversible and will alleviate itself over time (assuming you remove yourself from exposure!) with no long term damage being recorded for brief exposure.

Exposure limit for Zinc Oxide is 8 hour TWA 5mg/m3. Zinc fumes from a small piece of wire in a well ventilated area (outside) will be minimal if any (campfires can produce anything up to 500C - sometimes more and sometimes less) but there is always the chance of transfer from the metal itself to the food in contact with it.

I personally would be very cautious about using zinc coated anything in a fire but that's just me and my "non self poisoning policy"!! lol :lmao:

Just my 2 cents worth and personal experience from working in the chemical industry and producing COSHH reports on a daily basis.

Cheers

Dr O

I know why don't we all start wearing safety boots,high vis jackets and hard hats oh and don't forget the safety glasses,when bushcrafting,come on everthing has a risk.

bernie

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Why don't we all start wearing safety boots,high vis jackets and hard hats oh and don't forget the safety glasses,when bushcrafting,come on everthing has a risk.

bernie

LOL! If you like but I'll stick to my usual, and continue to make decisions based on good advice and a hint of recklessness on my part ;)

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Sigh!!

That's not what I was advocating Bernie, not even slightly.

I'm not entering into a bun fight here in any way, the information I posted is from a purely chemical point of view as the question was asked and I provided an answer since I have worked with Zinc in the past.

I have had zinc poisoning before and it is not pleasant - like a really bad bout of the flu and it knocks you for absolute six. Not something I would assume any of us would like to experience when we have walked until we are miles from anywhere with no immediate access to proper medical care.

However, if you read my post again you will see that I mention that the likelihood of getting Zinc poisoning is fairly negligible considering the mass of metal we are talking about.

Everything does have risk but we can manage risk to a certain extent - and in this instance we can completely negate the risk by using a different metal which is easily obtained for a measley few pennies or free if you know your local ironmonger.

Again, just my 2 cents and information that I thought had been asked for earlier in the thread.

I don't post much on these forums and this thread is a prime example as to why!

Cheers

Dr O

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
i know what your saying and your most probably right. but are the chance's of poisoning your self with your toasting fork. greater than a log falling and breaking your toe,a stick poking you in the eye,your billy can tipping over and scolding your hands the list go's on,thats my point with out a doubt this country has gone health and safety mad and posts like these are making it more so,i also don't want a bun fight but what started of as an imformative thread in my opinon has been taken over by health and safety experts.

bernie

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Well, no - that's why I have stated twice now that the chances of actually getting Zinc poisoning from the mass of metal involved are minimal. :confused: :confused: :confused:

But then the chances of having a log fall on you are minimal unless you sleep under a beech tree by choice or cut down a branch while standing under it - something we don't do because we know what can happen if we do. Much like the chances of tipping a billy can and scalding your hands are minimised by either wearing gloves and gripping the billy tightly or setting a correct balance when tipping and keeping your hands out of the path of flowing water. Health and safety mad or just common sense and being well informed of the dangers?

Well, that's me done now - hopefully my information has answered the question that was originally asked by Ogri.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
bangdesk.gif

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
bangdesk.gif
[/QUOTEB

Bang your head on your keyboard by all means,but to me common sense prevails,the chances of being poisoned by a wire toasting fork are far greater than wining the lotto.so do we need all the health and safety side of things,thats all i'm trying to say,its common sense, if i saw black acrid smoke coming of my toasting fork i wouldn't use it.simple.

bernie

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
so you admit the chances are minimal,why all the bumth then?

bernie

Better to know than not Bernie, while I am and no doubt you are willing to take the chance that nothing much will happen, some might not like the risk ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

... the info also applies to other things such as Matt Weir's new firebox, which may well be Galvanised and subject to the same small risk. So, if we knows what the symptoms and risks are we can act if anything does happen.

Makes sense to me.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As per, I am going to be mocked and insulted for my take on this but, what the hay.
If you don’t know what the risks are, how can you assess them? Dr O’s bumf explains the risk, it’s up to you as to whether that ‘minimal risk’ is something you are willing to accept. Afterall if you don’t know there is a risk, and just what that risk is, how can you make an informed judgment?
Only the ignorant wish to remain ignorant.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Cheers

Dr O

My daughter ate half a tub of zinc oxide cream when she was six months old without any ill effects. I rang the hospital and they said it was very common for babies to eat this particular brand of cream and they had never known anyone to have ill effects except diarrhea.

Personally I prescribe to a deliberate self poisoning policy, as i find the best way discovering if something is poisonous for your good self to try it out. Everything is toxic it is just a matter of degree, if a substance is ingested to extent that mild poisoning is produced you know the effect level. BUT THEN ME AND DR ONION ARE IDOITS;)

Please note wood produces cancinogens when burnt so please can all of you start waring breathing equipment when using sharpened sticks instead of coat hangers to cook your toast. oh and don't burn your food as that gives you stomach cancer.

I hope that puts stuff into perspective. :D :joke:

good little device though, stuff falls off sticks. i weave up a little grill thing for certain types of food, but not everywhere has whities.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
oh and don't burn your food as that gives you stomach cancer.
Heaven forfend, that I post twice in one thread, but I’d be wary of making such claims, lest a person ‘claiming to be a doctor’ on this site take you to task for posting something that there is only statistical evidence for, I did it once and was roundly attacked, moreover as I could not lay my hands on the hard copy that proved my post I was roundly abused.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Better to know than not Bernie, while I am and no doubt you are willing to take the chance that nothing much will happen, some might not like the risk ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

... the info also applies to other things such as Matt Weir's new firebox, which may well be Galvanised and subject to the same small risk. So, if we knows what the symptoms and risks are we can act if anything does happen.

Makes sense to me.

Your right andy we should know the risks,but it was just a bit to health and safety for me personally, taking over a good little idea that a member came up with.after all we all have our own views,and after working on site for many years and seeing all the health and safety issues it got my back up slightly.enough said by me. let the thread get back on course.

bernie

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Heaven forfend, that I post twice in one thread, but I’d be wary of making such claims, lest a person ‘claiming to be a doctor’ on this site take you to task for posting something that there is only statistical evidence for, I did it once and was roundly attacked, moreover as I could not lay my hands on the hard copy that proved my post I was roundly abused.

Well, if anything similar happens this time, tell them to "get forked" - ba-doom-tssssh - I thank you! :lmao:

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
(First off, long time lurker here. This be one of the few places i visit daily to see if something new stirs in the world of bushcraft.)

I`ve got one of those fire-forks from lightmyfire, and i`ve got to say that the wire is pretty darn stiff. The blacksmith in me, thinks that it might be spring steel wire. (Piano wire, 1050-1080 steel or thereabouts. (Don`t really know what piano wire is made of.))
So, if the wire isn`t stiff enough to prod things onto without bending, maybe it`d be worth going with the piano wire? Or something? The wire thickness on mine is around 2mm. (Or 1/32" for those not using metric.)

Quite a useful little tool i tells ya. Add to the fact that it only takes up a tad larger space than a large bic lighter. You might do well without it, but if you`ve ever tried to toast small sausages and other suchlike on a fire, and everything just disintegrated because the prongs on the stick were too large, and in the end you had to eat ash-sausage or go without. Well.. I`m happy with my fire-fork.
If i`d known how exactly to make one of these before i bought one... Well, i`d`ve made one!

Great idea, and great pictures too! Dare i say, :You_Rock_

(And if people used half the amount of energy required to make negative posts, on overlooking the parts they wanted to make negative comments about, things`d be a whole lot better in this world.)

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Toddy!
My stone is actually a trad Welsh Cast Iron "girdle" designed for Welsh Cakes (dammio - what else cariad!), locals call it either a "girdle" or "Bake Stone " though it is neither lingerie or stone...it weighs a ton and is great for bannock and a darn sight more - inc susages, toast, baconfry, real bacon etc (just like the top of a woodburning stove) - I never carry it too far though, and too far is not very far at all! :D
Perhaps I should try out a bent wire fork - for light weight cooking.....:rolleyes:

Wow, great idea for the bakestone John, my wife has one which lives in the pantry most of the year, will it be ok if i say you told me to take it ?

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
What will it be next a how to make a microwave:lmao:

Actually... well why not? It doesn't need to be hi-tech or super high power, you could use a hand crank generator or a small turbine dunked in a stream or river to power it...
It would never be ultra light because of all the sheilding surrounding it, but once made it would be very carbon and everything-else neutral, you wouldn't need fuel...
For a longer term expedition it surely wouldn't be such a bad idea!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE