How to Make a Fire Fork!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Fire_Fork_11.jpg

A fire fork is used to hold things onto a stick, you can buy them but like most bushcrafters I prefer to make my own.
They are not as pretty as the ones you can buy but they do exactly the same job and are about 99% cheaper ;)

What you need:
18" of relatively stiff steel wire (you can snarf this from a broken fence.)
Wire Cutters
Strong Pliers (Square or round nose, it doesn't matter)
Something Cylindrical.

Fire_Fork_01.jpg

-----

Ok, get the wire and snip it to about 18", this is plenty long enough for this project.
Find out where the middle is and wrap it around a cylinder, this can be a stick, a board marker or in my case, a lipstick tube :)

Fire_Fork_02.jpg

Only wrap once, like shown above and then grab your pliers, I personally work better with round nose ones but what ever you have is good.

Try to make the bend as close to the loop as possible:

Fire_Fork_03.jpg

Fire_Fork_04.jpg

Do this on both sides:

Fire_Fork_05.jpg

Now about 2" down you will need to make another bend in the wire.
This is towards the middle like this:

Fire_Fork_06.jpg

Do it on both sides.

Now grab the wire about half way again and bend it into a 'U' shape:

Fire_Fork_07.jpg

Fire_Fork_08.jpg

Pull the two apart a bit and bend the ends in to make the prongs:

Fire_Fork_09.jpg

Fire_Fork_10.jpg

Finished!

To attach your fork to a stick all you need to do is thread the stick through the standing
loop and then squeeze the two U shaped bits so they overlap and pop the end through.

NB: You need to use pretty stiff wire to get the tension to hold the fork to the stick.

Happy Bending!

Fire_Fork_11.jpg

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Ah, I see, I was trying to work out what this was for but now I see it's for toasitng things over a fire?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Lol, you aren't missing anything John. I just saw them on a site once upon a time and thought I could make one of those!

The metal heats up and cooks meat from the inside so it's about 20% quicker. A forked stick works as well ;) although it dosen't really cook the food from the inside, and using one of these is quicker than stripping and sharpening.

Each to their own :)

You can also use these with any dead stick lying around - rather than everyone cutting live branches from trees.

I know that the use of green branches / wands can be done responsibly (by coppicing etc), but thats not always the case, and is not always allowed / sustainable in more heavily used places.

I've got one and think they're a good idea - although I also like to use a green stick (if the circumstances allow).

I hadn't thought about the cooking from the inside bit - I'll pay more attention in future.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great tutorial Cobweb,
Though I would advise caution if you were to "Snarf some wire from a broken fence!"
Most fencing wire that I've come across has been galvanised with zinc - which is known to give off toxic fumes when heated. I don't know if the heat of a standard cooking fire is high enough to produce the toxins but it might not be worth the risk. A length of stainless steel wire shouldn't be too difficult to source for this project and would be a longer lasting.

ATB

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm loving the negative responses to this and other threads tonight. Keep 'em coming folks, I'm sure the originators of the threads are delighted at being put down by superior people that go out with their toothbrush and Mora and nothing else.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Probably not, but it weighs next to nothing, cooks sausages (or fishes) without mucking up a pot, makes good toast without scorched fingers, and howks out boiled things with no fuss......and all the while it's fire hardening a diggin' stick :D

cheers,
Toddy

Ooops cross post with Spamel.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I like these for several reasons.

1) They're really good for kids, esp. small kids. Even some adults turn sharpening a stick into a dangerous activity.

2) They prevent the sausage from rotating on the stick.

3) They're very lighweight

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I'm loving the negative responses to this and other threads tonight. Keep 'em coming folks, I'm sure the originators of the threads are delighted at being put down by superior people that go out with their toothbrush and Mora and nothing else.
What will it be next a how to make a microwave:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE