How to Make a Fire Fork!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somehow it seems you're not taking this seriously and just want to rip other peoples posts, thoughts and ideas. I've no idea what makes you think you are the all seeing all knowing expert on a hobby that has so many variations that nobody can even describe it without disagreement from other people.

If somebody wants to do something, let them crack on. Positive help in this instance could be helpful, but to ridicule a person because it doesn't fit in to the carry less know more ethos that some people seem to worship smacks of insecurity on your part. Is Ray Mears wrong because he carries a DC4 when he coud use a stone from a river? Are you gonna be the one to tell him he hasn't got a clue? Somehow, I doubt it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, Jason, since you find the idea so risible.
Go on, you post a tutorial on how to make something that will do all the firefork will, and we'll discuss just how useful or practical, or not, that it may be.

Tbh I don't see this as any different to one of those folding handles for billies :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

B

bushyboo

I dont see what the problem is bushcraft to me is all about improvising and making that from a bit of wire is improvising to me
good tutorial mate
keep experimenting

Gordon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Whoa!
When I asked if I was missing something the initial reply pointed out that - yes I was!
I had not thought of the cooking meat from the inside as well or that some may find sharpening sticks dangerous or non sustainable.
So yes the wire has it points :)D pun!) and making your own IS a lot more satisfying than buying the ready mades!
I was not trying to put anyone down - it was an honest enquiry into the reason for having one.
They obviously have their supporters, though I do not think I will be making one myself as I tend not to grill too much - I carry a bl**dy great bake stone for my bannock and fry stuff on it as well - but I can now see their bushy potential.
Good luck to all DIYers out there!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Spamel,
I have absolutely no interest in being negative to any or all threads, my post was merely to indicate the possibility of a health issue that I want people to be aware of. I am more than willing to remove my post if someone can come up with definate information as to the heat causing toxic emmission issue.
I'm sure that if you were to look back at my posts, there would be a good number advising making something for yourself rather than buy blindly without trying.

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No Ogri, I found that informative and could stop somebody killing themselves by inhaling the fumes. No probs with that, just some folk knocking someone for trying something seems a bit off to me. Maybe I'm just a bit irritable at the moment. I'll call it a night I think and pop back tomorrow.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Somehow it seems you're not taking this seriously and just want to rip other peoples posts, thoughts and ideas. I've no idea what makes you think you are the all seeing all knowing expert on a hobby that has so many variations that nobody can even describe it without disagreement from other people.

If somebody wants to do something, let them crack on. Positive help in this instance could be helpful, but to ridicule a person because it doesn't fit in to the carry less know more ethos that some people seem to worship smacks of insecurity on your part. Is Ray Mears wrong because he carries a DC4 when he coud use a stone from a river? Are you gonna be the one to tell him he hasn't got a clue? Somehow, I doubt it.
Sorry if I have up set you. but what is wrong whith a stick and as far as insecurity meet me and you will find thats not my problem .is it me or has this site gone down the pan it just seems that this site is kit kit and more kit

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Enough.
Silly posturing does no one any favours.

DIY kit is surely a good thing :rolleyes: especially something so simple. Two foot of wire and five minutes of time, or £5 to buy.....

This particular bit of the forum is "DIY and Traditional Crafts" so the thread is totally appropriate, and I know of forks being used to deal with food near fires for over two thousand years so it's hardly a new concept.

cheers,
Toddy

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
From memory, I think if it got to about 900C then the zinc boils off. At temps around there, it is pretty nasty, used to be a major hassle when casting things. I reckon if paranoid, you could heat it at 900C for a couple of hours to remove the zinc. However, lets be honest, you won't reach about 300C unless you shove it in the embers or don't have anything on it. The meat/bread would do an effective job of cooling it. A small amount of zinc might rub off on your food, but that would be pretty small.

I wasn't critising your idea, indeed I think it's clever the way you use springs to hold it open, it's just I use a stick. If I'm in an area that couldn't handle one green stick being cut, I'd not camp there as I'd see it as being unsuitable for bushcraft. I like something a bit more natural, and I don't have to carry it, but whatever. I don't personally think it constitutes true bushcraft, although I don't do true bushcraft but I do as close as I can, with a few luxuries like an axe, knife, and some food. I suppose this is just another luxury.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
John is your bakestone one of the Lakeland pizza baking stones?
I have one of those, and it's excellent, but I never thought of taking it out with me.
I do find a cast iron girdle a good thing though if camping where I can get the car close. I've baked on one since childhood, scones, bannocks, soda break, pancakes, oatcakes, tattie scones, ginger nuts :rolleyes: and even pastry works well on the girdle.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Toddy!
My stone is actually a trad Welsh Cast Iron "girdle" designed for Welsh Cakes (dammio - what else cariad!), locals call it either a "girdle" or "Bake Stone " though it is neither lingerie or stone...it weighs a ton and is great for bannock and a darn sight more - inc susages, toast, baconfry, real bacon etc (just like the top of a woodburning stove) - I never carry it too far though, and too far is not very far at all! :D
Perhaps I should try out a bent wire fork - for light weight cooking.....:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The one I use in the house actually has Girdle cast into the bottom of it :D
and here was me thinking only Scotswomen cooked on a girdle not wear it ;)

I flash fried venison in butter and ransomes on one up at the Crannog at one of the meet ups...seemed to go down well :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I had a go earlier with a bit of wire I had lying about, took 30 seconds to make - excellent post. Not really worried about the zinc problem, I reckon transfer to food would be very minimal and since I usually have my fires in a well ventilated place :D I'll take my chances.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice.

Made something like this a few years back. Was meant to toast bread on both sides without having to touch it. Made in two parts of coat hanger.

Long handle with a figure of eight on the end.

=====8

And then the bread cradle with two hooks that go in the eyes of the 8.
(S shaped from the side, and U shaped from the top, if you err, can decipher my poor description :) )

Means can toast one side, and with a sort of rotation of the hand , toast the other.

PS Dont forget the marshmallows. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE