How old was your child for penknives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
My Grandson got one of these when he was three...

images-6_zpsa7caf4e3.jpeg

Does that count? ;)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
My lad has a Brusletto Balder - he's four, and only uses it under supervision.

I was given my first knife (shaped like a fish) when I was 8, and got an Opinel 8 when I was 10.

Never had a SAK until last year when i bought a Classic Sd with a Gooutdoors voucher.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
My 12yr old daughter has had a swiss army and a Mora for the last few years, she's in scouts and very sensible when she's using them though. Think its less about age and more about how mature/ responsible they are,

cheers

Joab

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My oldest Grandson was about 7 or 8 when his Cub scout pack gave him one. He's 11 now and I gave him his first locking blade (a Buck 110) a year ago. his younger brother is about 19 months old now and I expect he'll get his earlier.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
They have yet to have a knife, at one month and two and three quarters they are still a bit young, the eldest shows some interest in mine though. They will both get a small fixed blade to begin with, maybe something from one of the local makers.

Hey! Thats next Christmas sorted. :)

They can choose their own SAKs when they are earning.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A more relavent twist might be, How old were they when you first let them USE a knife? I was about 3 when daddy started teaching me how to throw his.

Last edited:

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I got a copy of a SAK classic at 4
Although it broke in not long, I got a puuko at about 6 :)

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
no kids of my own but I got my first knife aged 10 when I joined scouts. Used knives with my Grandad supervising when I was younger.

We did axe and knife safety sessions with scouts before we were allowed to carry or use them at camp.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I was 7. My eldest has a mora now (he is 7 also) I try and start my kids at 5 with an opinel trainer.

I also introduced my eldest to fish hooks (and will with all my kids) the same way I was showm by my grandad.

"Just pass me one of those hooks out of that tin son"......... ouch!.......... He can tie and bait his own line

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I was 4 when my grandad sold me a penknife for 5p. In his eyes, it was bad luck to give a blade away.
I never cut myself with it.
My dad gave me a chisel at 8 and I stuck it through my hand. Lesson learnt, still got the scar from it.

I have no kids, if I did I'd start them early. Cuts heal better when young.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My two boys have been using knifes in the kitchen to help chop stuff for a while now, both kind of started at the same time as the younger one was copying the older. So the younger was about 4 the older 5, my girl has not expressed any interest in knifes at all. She is 3 at the moment and sees knifes on the table and has no desire to play with them - the boys were very different, from a very early age if a knife was left on a side board or table they'd intentionally go get it [to the point of dragging furniture around to climb up on]- but I wanted to wait till they had a little more control over what they are doing.

None of them have their own knife, I'm going to wait to see if they want one and if they 'need' one before I give them one. I suppose at some point they'll just get one themselves when they are old enough.

I was never given my own knife, I bought my first one on holiday when I was around 8ish - a cheap swiss army knife copy that had loads of tools on but broke pretty quickly - gave up on having a knife, as a child I didn't really have much use for one - I still don't now to be honest.

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Had my first knife when I was 6 yrs old or there about, although there were always knives about so had respect for them, however I do remember giving myself some pretty nasty cuts that needed stitches a few times, but that's all part of the course, you learn to handle and use them properly afterwards. It's like they say, to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs first.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I was given my first knife (shaped like a fish)

Haha! That was my first knife too - the fish shaped knife.
It was my 6th birthday and I was given a £1 note in my birthday card.
I remember sneaking the money out of the house by hiding it in my pants and went and bought the penknife I'd been ogling for several weeks from the village shop for 30p!
I can't imagine anyone selling a penknife to a 6 year old nowadays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE