Hi from Antarctica

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 29, 2010
Antarctica/Norfolk
Hi every one new to this site and still finding my way around.
At the moment im living and working in Antarctica for the British Antarctic Survey but normaly live on the Norfolk/ Suffolk border.

Matt

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello Snocat ( Matt ) , Just had a look at the BAS site , looks like interesting work. Look forward to seeing some nitty-gritty living condition phots.

TD

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hello snocat a warm welcome from wales lol as td said lets see some pictures regards dave ps be safe

Jun 29, 2010
Antarctica/Norfolk
Thanks for the replies il get some pictures up later today once i have worked it out.The part im in there is nothing but snow and ice.The only visitor is the emperor penguins during the summer.
As for bushcraft we do get to go and camp outside for a week at the begining of winter and at the end of winter but the temp is normaly -30 to -40 on the second trip.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thanks for the replies il get some pictures up later today once i have worked it out.The part im in there is nothing but snow and ice.The only visitor is the emperor penguins during the summer.
As for bushcraft we do get to go and camp outside for a week at the begining of winter and at the end of winter but the temp is normaly -30 to -40 on the second trip.

That sounds cool....
1959.gif

Jun 29, 2010
Antarctica/Norfolk
Hi twodogs we use very old primus stoves which run on parrafin.No light wheight equipent for us. The stoves are between 30 to 40 years old and still out perform the new stoves. BAS have tried to find a new stove to replace the primus but havent found one tough enough or oparate in extreme cold.

Do the Norfolk and Norwich group have a web page or number that i can speak to some one when i get back to the uk.Tried the link but said im not allowed in that area.
Cheers Matt

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi Matt, looking forward to hearing more about what you are up to and life in the freezer. Rather you than me mate, I love heat, not to keen on the cold.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

I'm more interested in seeing phots of your general living conditions and set-up, I have Jack Carpenters base from 'the Thing' running through my head.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi twodogs we use very old primus stoves which run on parrafin.No light wheight equipent for us. The stoves are between 30 to 40 years old and still out perform the new stoves. BAS have tried to find a new stove to replace the primus but havent found one tough enough or oparate in extreme cold.

Do the Norfolk and Norwich group have a web page or number that i can speak to some one when i get back to the uk.Tried the link but said im not allowed in that area.
Cheers Matt

Hi Matt and welcome

as a stove collector I made enquiries with BAS a couple of years ago about the stoves used on field trips and was told the Optimus model 45 paraffin stove was still used. As you said they perform well and are reliable and with few parts should a field service be needed. I have a couple of these types myself :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t92YgbhEGJQ. You are a lucky guy :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE