Hi from Antarctica

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Now we even have a member in Antarctica - in winter - Outstanding - Welcome Matt, can't wait to see these pic's, how's the weather down there? Gonna check out the BAS website - have found Antarctica fascinating since reading Shackleton's book.

Jun 29, 2010
Antarctica/Norfolk
Hi every one just been looking the stove is a primus 45 using a roarer burner not the seilient type.The BAS web site is very intresting i wrote the last diary for Halley if any one is intrested.
As for were i am im on the Brunt ice shelf which is S75 34.8 W026 44.9 ,The base is called Halley 5, BAS is in the procese of building Halley 6 at the moment.
As for the place it is pretty flat and white during the summer time and the warmest it got was -5. We have around 105 days of darkness during winter and the temp can reach -50 so fare i have seen -46. You dont go outside for long at that tempreture.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
welcome...on another note i nearly signed up for a job out there ended up giving the application form to a french girl i was working with she applied for a chemist post in cambridge and got it still regret not having a go for the field ecologist role but it was about 12-15 years ago her name was genevieve i often wonder if she is still there

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi every one just been looking the stove is a primus 45 using a roarer burner not the seilient type.The BAS web site is very intresting i wrote the last diary for Halley if any one is intrested.
As for were i am im on the Brunt ice shelf which is S75 34.8 W026 44.9 ,The base is called Halley 5, BAS is in the procese of building Halley 6 at the moment.
As for the place it is pretty flat and white during the summer time and the warmest it got was -5. We have around 105 days of darkness during winter and the temp can reach -50 so fare i have seen -46. You dont go outside for long at that tempreture.

hi there, are you still using standard aluminium pots with the Optimus/Primus stoves these days? The Australian lads and lasses down there still use 'Choofa' stoves the Optimus 111 roarer, again a simple, powerful stove. They posted pictures on 'Optimus Day' (a day collectors picked at random and all around the world we lit various Optimus stoves); so, any chance of one of your 45's in use for the stove site? You have a private message.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thank you mate :)

IMG_0189640x480.jpg

IMG_0187640x480.jpg

Very impressed with the article on the Halley BAS page :- "Deep Down into the Antarctic Ice" detailing a decent into the guts of a gigantic crevasse..awsome stuff..looks like the old ice climbing gear is in regular use down there....especially notewothy is the pic where : Colin slides under a pillar of ice....looks very committing...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE