Had a go at carving a woodspirit today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have been lurking on here for a while now trying pick up some knowledge of various aspects of bushcraft.
After seeing some of the fantastic wood spirit carving tutorials I just had to have a try.
Got myself some cheap chisels from ebay and spent today doing the piece below.
I can't believe how addicitive it is - though I'll have to wait for the blisters to go before I do another one!

woodspirit.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work, looks very good, looks like a decent bit of Cherry too!.

All the best.

Thanks guys,

(Quick tip to stop blisters. Next time you do some carving, put some gaffa tape on your hands were the blisters were. No blisters ever with this little mod - glad someone told me
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to get by posting on here - I was wondering about cutting a little piece of leather to put in my palm, a bit like when you see people using leather when fashioning flint tools, but Gaffa tape is much easier!

Can't wait to start the next one!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You have a real eye for it - the textures and balance are great.

You said you had some chisels - I presume some are gouges, going by the tool marks.

You said you had some chisels - I presume some are gouges, going by the tool marks.
Yeah, unfortunately only just spotted that big groove in his nose once I'd posted the photo, can only see it in certain light! I guess I could smooth it off but I've already varnished the exposed wood so think I will leave it for now.

I don't know the official name but yeah I guess they are gouges, only cheap and good thing too as I've already nicked the blade on one of them, but good to use while I'm learning.

I'd like to learn how to carve the wood and not leave such obvious marks though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE