idea for on the go charging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
for any with electrical knowledge a good money making prospect

and

as utility price rise

i remember dynamos for cycle lights and-such

nowadays moving e-machines have to have separate chargers whereby some placed in parts of the country

e-vehicles have various rating for how much mileage they are likely to do on a full charge in optimised conditions

why not make a dynamo or similar for charging while on the go

petrol and diesel fuel vehicles have this function thus why not e-vehicles...??

or am i missing something here...??

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Many years ago in the early 1980s the centre for alternative energy in Wales had plans for making a windmill using a bicycle dynamo wheel as the basis for a windmill to charge a battery.
It would probably only be 6 volt, ( I'm not an electrician by any means so I could be wrong. ) Somewhere I have these plans, though God only knows where, I never managed to get the wheel, so I never made it.
I'll have to see if I can find them.
I know 6 volts isn't a lot, but I'm sure a clever person could work with this idea. Maybe using a car dynamo to provide 12 volts?
E bikes take household voltage and have a special charger to step it down to 12 volts. You can't just plug them into your household socket.
But its an idea to play with. I'm gonna try and find those plans . Just need a bike dynamo wheel!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
One interpretation sounds suspiciously like a perpetual motion machine, yes regenerative braking is used on some but apparently is not very common yet.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I'm not an expert so probably best to google it but my simplistic view of it is that the vehicle uses the motor as a generator when braking.
that seems daft to me to only generate power during breaking and could lead to potential issues that could cause accidents

i see so many problems could rise with this

as in liquid fuel vehicles [hydrogen not so much if at all] an alternator or dynamo is driven by a belt typically known as a fan or drive belt that works when the engine is running and the pulley's are spinning in the correct direction

a similar principle can be applied for e-vehicles yet at the moment they are designed to keep folk slaved to the grid where folk are struggling to heat and or cool their homes due to price fixing on the continuum rise

there are friction wheels like on the dynamos we used on push bikes that can also be used

for the basis of all reasonableness there is no reasonable excuse why vehicle manufacturers have a sheer neglect unless it is for making many businesses fiat-currency for those that force contracts for utilities via the grid, which needs to be looked into as i feel this could fall foul of fraud act 2006 and others

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You cannot generate more power from a motor driving a generator than the motor uses. Inefficiencies mean far less is generated and that is before you take into account the power being used to keep the vehicle moving. As TLM pointed out, that would classify as perpetual motion which is a practical impossibility.

Regenerative braking is safe; it's in addition to the more normal braking systems and is similar to engine braking on standard ICE cars.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You cannot generate more power from a motor driving a generator than the motor uses.
use the same principle as on liquid fuel vehicles whereby there are tried ant tested voltage regulators built in to the alternator or dynamo
Regenerative braking is safe;
as most things are classified as safe under optimal clinical tested conditions, does not mean it is not open to abuse by the nuts that should not be behind a wheel

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I know 6 volts isn't a lot, but I'm sure a clever person could work with this idea. Maybe using a car dynamo to provide 12 volts?
could use something like a resistor...?? or is it a capacitor...?? i forget right now to use for charging usb devices

then the output wattage would have to be regulated to suit

that said i believe it could be done

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm confuzzled, aren't you in essence suggesting adding an additional friction?

So "engine" turns wheels - wheels move vehicle - vehicle turns charging wheel which charges battery. Is that what you're suggesting?

The issue is that from the above, you're also saying that the first step (the engine) is actually turning the charging wheel that is charging the battery...which even if connected directly to the charging wheel the engine output would "cost" more than the charging wheel would charge...

The dynamos you mention for bicycle lights were powered by pedal power yes? But they add an additional resistance which theoretically is knocking some mileage off your legs"... same difference..

Edit: I think this is why regenerative braking is the closest possibility because its using "wasted" energy...

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Look, I'm sorry, I'm a European chartered engineer; you're way out of your depth if you believe that you can generate electricity from an electrically powered device (well, you can, but not as much as you consume). Increasing the voltage does not increase the power because it lowers the current that can be delivered (power = voltage x current). And, any conversion process (even just turning the dynamo or alternator) has losses so the conversions do not even give you the same power.

You are going to have to believe people that have qualifications in this subject matter and have worked with it for over 40 years when they tell you it can't be done!

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
confuzzled
now there is a word one [1] has not heard of before thus had to look it up and it relates to a name of a business https://confuzzled.org.uk/

yet the word sounds like con-fuzzled and comes across as it means swindling drunk as fuzzled is an idiom for drunk ;) ;)

aren't you in essence suggesting adding an additional friction?
well of course as all connected moving parts are friction based as they have to touch and move with each other preferably and be as smooth as possible to remove as much drag as viable

So "engine" turns wheels - wheels move vehicle - vehicle turns charging wheel which charges battery. Is that what you're suggesting?
basically yes as the parts that turn could be use to provide regulated energy for charging the batteries and for running lights etcetera

The issue is that from the above, you're also saying that the first step (the engine) is actually turning the charging wheel that is charging the battery...which even if connected directly to the charging wheel the engine output would "cost" more than the charging wheel would charge...
not really as all alternators on liquid fuel cars have voltage regulators there should be no issues

The dynamos you mention for bicycle lights were powered by pedal power yes? But they add an additional resistance which theoretically is knocking some mileage off your legs"... same difference..
as do belts or cog driven use some additional resistance

i used to experiment with the tension of the friction between the rim of the wheel for the dynamo and there was never any noticeable difference except if go too light on the tension equals dimmer bulb or no bulb illumination

i mentioned the dynamo as a principle that could be applied just as an alternator can be applied

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You are going to have to believe people that have qualifications in this subject matter and have worked with it for over 40 years when they tell you it can't be done!
that is what has been said by many many many things that have come to fruition

some may put it down to stubbornness to prove a point

some put it down to other kind of reasoning

name me as many things as you like that was told was not to be possible then viola they come to fruition

how many things not thought possible were invented and are now household staples

all it takes is positiveness and experimentation by suitable minds for which ever topic to come up with solutions

thrashing ideas and having a decent dialogue make for solutions to res-specific

no such word as "can't" take the apostrophe and the t off and the word is "can" thereby it can be done with proper thought and logic

it was often said aeroplanes would not get off the ground and man can not fly, now look in the sky we see planes everyday, just one [1] example

if the workings of a charger of an alternator charges the battery after the engine has started and keeps the vehicle battery charged when no lights or anything powered other than the dash clocks as well as when all power is on by its regulator then a similar principle can be applied to e-vehicles

or add a solar panel in the roof or bonnet or boot

there are many ways plausible and possible to find a solution for mobile charging e-vehicles

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm still confused as to how you can agree with almost all my points, yet still disagree overall.

If you take an engine, connect it directly to an alternator and fire it up, the energy used turning the engine is more than the energy you could create with the alternator...

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I'm still confused as to how you can agree with almost all my points, yet still disagree overall.
there be non overall disagreement by any stretch of the imagination
If you take an engine, connect it directly to an alternator and fire it up, the energy used turning the engine is more than the energy you could create with the alternator...

on the e-vehicle as the motor turns which is connected to the wheels by the mechanisms in-place an alternator or similar dynamo with a voltage regulator with appropriate electrics could be added in the same manner as a liquid fuel engine

or add a solar panel with a voltage regulator for charging the batteries

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Right...but by doing so you increase the resistance on that motor, therefore its less efficient than it was prior and you'll find yourself running out of juice.

I do get what you're saying but it's akin to saying 'I can deadlift more than my bodyweight, so if I stand on a rope I should be able to lift myself off the ground"...

Solar panels sure, no issue there.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Right...but by doing so you increase the resistance on that motor, therefore its less efficient than it was prior and you'll find yourself running out of juice.
very little resistance if the belt or even if it be a chain or cog driven

have you heard some cars screech whereby the belt has been tensioned wrong...??
I do get what you're saying but it's akin to saying 'I can deadlift more than my bodyweight, so if I stand on a rope I should be able to lift myself off the ground"...
there be very very little resistance on a motor to an alternator or dynamo that can move a 1/2 ton or greater weight vehicle up and down hills as well as on the flat

haulage companies use e-trucks whereby transport use e-busses and some have gone to hydrogen but that could be for discussion for another thread

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE