Group Buy on a Nessmuk Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That head is just over 500g - the finished model will be a little heavier - but only 25% more at the most - we are aiming for an axe weighing abot 750g or thereabouts. Thats about half as heavy again as a Lee Reeves Cruiser - still a light axe, but thats what a Nessmuk is supposed to be.

Red

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Wow! That is light, I'd always imagined that a Nessmuk was like a camp axe, but it seems to more like a supercharged tomahawk. I live and learn.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He refers to it as a "pocket axe" in his book. This one will I suspect be a little larger than his from his drawings

Red

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
That is lovely, BR, you've beaten me to it again.
I've been designing a double header with one bit similar to the rosseli (for heavy chopping and splitting) and one like a gb(for carving) for about 2 months now but havn't been able to find anyone to make it.
Will have to gave one now.
:cool:
Baggins

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
dammit, this is so unfair, i would be screaming for one of these, especially prototype3 if i hadn't already asked someone to make one for me.

sc

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lee or Goran Steve?

If its Lee, this will be very different - trust me I have a place for one of Lee's and this ;). If its Goran, you are a lucky, lucky man!

Looks like we may be able to talk Singteck into doing the masks for this series too...hope thats okay with those who might be interested!

Red

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Red,

Red's Blog

Don't know if I'm posting in the right thread - I Ilinked from this thread (Mods - freel free to move it if you feel it is). I don't think it is out of place Red, just as it wouldn't be out of place to mention speaking to someone who left a lasting impression.

Are you totally sure he had a fever and wasn't fishing? :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I'm only going on what was reported ;) - I've a picture of some of the information somewhere. Apparently some of their wives were with them - a different culture entirely in those days huh?

Oh you can comment directly on the blog theres an "add comment" button somewhere in there

Thanks for the interest!

Red

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
hi red,

tis neither Lee or Goran(not sure who he is to be fair)

it is being made by our very own dave budd

steve

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Goran Enocksson - great axe smith.

Only ever seen pictures of Daves work so I'll look forward to a review and lots of pictures!

Red

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
hi red, don't worry, review will be posted once i get the axe. I decided that rather than go for a reeves or cegga or goran axe i'd keep some trade in the uk, also all dave's work looks good so i figured he would be the man to try.

mind you the 'mascus axe heads from cegga do look a bit tasty, just afraid that the first use they would see would be on me by the misses!!!!

sc

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Hi Ash, it will be a forged head with an ash helve. dave was a bit run down recently so he's had a break and hopefully up for some serious metal bashing!!!

sc

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Wow, id love to see it when its done Steve, if it cuts anywhere as well as his knives it will be a thing of beauty.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Red,

As you already know (PM) I'm very interested in the Nessmuk style axe, but only if it isn't going to be to heavy/big, your 20% increase in size over the prototype #3 sounds like the maximum for me as it would increase in size from 15 cm to 18 cm in width if my calculations are correct or is the 20% increase just weight wise from 500 grams to 60 grams ?

Anyhow those 2 different blades look oh so nice :)

Cheers,

Bagheera

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
I can do some thats bigger and some like the one I made already .But first I want to do them as the big chife want them :lmao: I think there will be some thats smaller and some thats bigger when I forge them this are made by free hand so it´s not easy to get all in same shape, hope that I can make what you all want :yikes:
Cegga

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE