Group Buy on a Nessmuk Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now the Hunters Axe I crayoned and Cegga did the skilled hard work on seems to be moderately popular. So, whilst there will be more of them as Cegga turns them out, I need your guidance.

There have been some hints that a Nessmuk double bit axe would be popular. The thing is, doubles are very expensive to do (more metal, two bevels to grind, hard to helve etc.). Effectively the effort doubles and materials become all custom (helves etc.).

The cost would be quite a bit more than the Reds Hunter and I want people to feel that they are getting real value when they get a group buy from us.

I'd love to do a real cruiser (Nessmuk) - 18" helve and 750g head with a differential grind and offer it here. Sadly I'm just not sure it would sell in the right amounts to make it worth Ceggas time. So, can I ask from some guidance? I'm happy to work up a design and prototype at my expense if this would be popular amongst you all (I insist that Cegga gets paid even for prototypes - he charges us little enough for production models).

Before I do this though, I need to know whether its worth it? Is there an interest in a double bit cruiser style axe? If so, what do you believe would be a fair price? I don't want to give any price hints so please tell us what it would be worth to you to have Cegga make one. If we can make it work financially, then I'll work up a design and prototype and we'll take it from there

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Duncan!

Sorry I forgot the normal qualifiers :D

I'm not taking orders. No pre-orders, no pre-payments, no waiting lists.

Just a question about "would you be interested and what is a reasonable price"?

I know the "no orders" thing is a point of contention. I may reconsider it for the double bit IF we ever make it. I'd have to find a way of making it work so Cegga wasn't waiting for payment and there was no pressure on him though. I'll think about it. I'm worried about the "admin" overhead..What happens if someone is on the list who can't be contacted? What if Cegga is too busy with comissions for a few months to make any? Right lets leave that for now.

So, to be clear

1) There are NO orders being taken at present
2) Posting on this thread will not give any preferential treatment if we do make one
3) If enough people are interested at a viable price, I will work on a design and prototype with Cegga
4) I'll think about a way of developing a list of interested people that doesn't put pressure on Cegga but gives a modicum of fairness but only after I've established if the idea is even viable ;)

So - would you like one and what would be a price that would be fair to you?

Red

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
British Red said:
Do you really want one? And how much would you like to "pay up" ?

:D

Double the price of the single bit??? I would say it's either this double bit or a GB British Trade axe.

singteck

PS: I would rather have the double bit!!!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Having looked at various custom tomahawk makers I'd say that £100 is still good value. I'm afraid I'd be too dangerous with a double bit though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wayland,

An inerpretation of the Nessmuk yes. Smilar in grind to the Reeves (so basically its the degree of convexing on the bit that determines the splitting or cutting blade).

Red

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm up for it then.

Timing would be a factor for me though.

Being self employed in a rather niche market it is almost impossible to guarrantee funds at any particular time in the future unless I can plan for it.

I would much rather put the money down when I definately have it and wait for delivery no matter how long it takes.

I understand your reasons for not wanting to do it that way but it makes it very difficult for the likes of myself.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Understood mate.

I'll think about refining the buying mechanism when I can establish if the design is viable for Cegga.

The big thing for me is always that I personally underwrite any group buy I put on here (following Magikelly's example)

I will not promote anything if I cannot personally cover everyones money if it goes the way of the pear for any reason. Cegga is a great bloke and absolutelty scrupulous in how he works so I have no doubts at all, but equally I have to cover him if they don't sell. That's just how it is with me, so I have to work a mechanism that means your money is safe, so is Cegga's and no one has a breakdown as a result (me included).

I'll work it out though

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Brian - the key question I guess though is what would such a tool be worth you ?

Red

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Weeeellll...

I know this'll cause me pain when I miss the first few runs but I'd be in for this.

Priced up to £100 sounds good. Now that I own a piece of Cegga's work I'd have to say that I'd go a bit higher than £100 if pushed.

Huon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the interest guys,

I'll leave this open for a few days - to be honest I'd need to be sure of selling at least 20 for it to be viable.

Strangely the helve is one of the real problems - no one makes a cruiser helve so we'll have to comission one and that will mean a reasonable number and it'll take a while

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That can be done mate - or at least supply it "unfitted"

I do like that fiddleback I must admit can't think where you saw it ;)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE