Group Buy on a Nessmuk Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Wayland said:
Just to be clear on this.

Am I right in thinking this would be one side bevelled for splitting and the other for cutting.

If so I would be very interested and £100 sounds a good price to me.

Sounds like a goer to me, especially if the RHA that arrived Friday is to be taken as a benchmark, Timing is important though if we are looking at or close to three figures (so I would'nt mind a spot of advanced notice if possible, just to allow a bit of saving time)
Cheers Tim

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
As long as SWMBO doesn't find out I would be willing to go for £100 - I'll start squirreling my overtime away now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Eric_Methven said:
Yup, I'm up for that. I'd pay £100 just for the head. Incidentaly, you could get two straight helves from one hickory pick axe handle (B&Q £6).

Eric
No Eric,

YOU could get two helves. I, could get kindling :D

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me!!!!!!!!!

As you can see i am only a little interested :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mark,

The £100 is not my number - I'm just trying to gauge what people would perceive as a fair price - is there a price that would prise your waller open?

I'll put you down as a mayve then Shinken ;)

H

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
British Red said:
Mark,

The £100 is not my number - I'm just trying to gauge what people would perceive as a fair price - is there a price that would prise your waller open?

H
I know it wasn't your quote - I'm not blaming you don't worry.
I suppose I'd be willing to get into trouble for £70 maybe £80 at a push

Cheers

Mark

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Eric_Methven said:
I still say £100 is cheap for a nessie axe, when you know how much work goes into making one.

Eric
Add the cost of three days of boat travel, to say Sweden, three nights room and board in a hotel, a couple of days/hour/weeks making a model of that axe, three days lost pay waiting for that axe. All that in addition to the cost of actually making it.

I can see why “Nussmuk” was willing to spend thirteen dollars on a “$2” axe, an axe that was perfect for his needs.

I think that what every he charges, Cegga is still selling his axes way too cheaply. ;)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Red I think this is the right idea
Ive been looking for a 'Signature' axe with a double bit for ages but was never really moved by anything I saw (that I thought was affordable and that I wouldnt mind actually using)
£70-100 is about right for me, and Waylands combination head strikes a good note. Maybe an offering with and without a shaft would broaden the appeal - and lower Ceggas workload. Theres some that can haft an axe & some that cant.

Keep the ball rolling

Cheers
Nick

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Eric_Methven said:
I still say £100 is cheap for a nessie axe, when you know how much work goes into making one.

Eric
I tend to agree with Eric here. Would it actually be viable to produce it for that price? I imagine it is alot more complicated to produce a double bit than two single bit axes.
Also I'd not like to see Cegga undervaluing his work. I've only seen pictures of course but his workmanship looks to be the equal of Lee Reeves.
Quality and craftsmanship don't come cheap, nor should they.
I should say I'm not in the market for a nessie axe. Whilst I think they are lovely looking tools, for a small axe I think a poll is too useful a feature to sacrifice for an extra cutting edge. Of course I could be convinced otherwise if someone wants to loan me one ;) .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are all correct its a complicated piece of work to design and more so to construct. We did produce a rough prototype a while back just by adapting a double bit falling axe and it was not a flier - it needs "ground up" design.

I have no idea what it will cost yet. :eek:

What I was looking to gain from this thread is some idea as to whether we could sell one at all before I invest lots of design time and if so at what price.

It appears that if we can't get it to £100 or less, theres probably no point (which may well be why theres none about).

To date theres around 10 people interested which, although gratifying, is not enough to make it viable. I might do a few sketches and ask Cegga to do some preliminary costings if there are a few more interested people by the end of the weekend though

Red

British Red said:
To date theres around 10 people interested which, although gratifying, is not enough to make it viable. I might do a few sketches and ask Cegga to do some preliminary costings if there are a few more interested people by the end of the weekend though

Red

if these are hand made individually then Cegga has no real advantage in making big batchs other than more work.
you said the prototype is to be paid for which is fair enough i assume this is split over the batch

what is the reasonning for the 10 not enough but 20 maybe ??

Handles again may need a batch min
any UK BCUK Helvers here to do a smaller run ???

Cegga (from his web site) seems to be an experienced maker of double bits so must have a fair idea of costings/time to make one

Just being nosey :D

ATB

Duncan

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Duncan,

Theres no reason that anything can't be produced in a tiny amount but it does drive the unit price up. Its not a question of materials but man days in development. I don't mind donating my own time but Cegga is in business and I don't expect him to put a lot of work in developing something in which there is minimal interest that we are trying to produce at a budget price - its simply foolish. Don't think of "one prototype" but several attempts, each of which requires a whole process including HT etc. There is pent up demand on several forums for the hunters axe - he would be better off making these with no development needed.

People always undervalue a craftsmens time. What hourly rate do you pay your mechanic or plumber? Now multiply that by many many hours to develop a new design (and a cruiser is just that - its not a scaled down faller). Now try to recoup that - even at Ceggas low prices on just a few units.

I also want to supply a finished product (head or axe) - I'm not posting heads around the place for helving - its got to be in my control

As I always say, although I make no money on these things, I absolutely WILL protect both the maker and the buyer. If that means saying "not viable" then I will say it. I will not have yet another bankrupt craftsmen or out of pocket customer on my consicence.

Red

Fair enough i used to be a design engineer and Know about development time n costs etc
and Yes it needs to be Viable on development for the Production costs to be right
I dont pay Plumbers, mechanics etc i do that myself unfortunatly i cant make axes :( and a craftsman should make a fair price.

Guess ill have to wait
ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE