Fly Tipping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
what is almost as bad in my area is people camping in the local woods having a few beers and not bothering to take away their waste.
guaranteed any woods within about 10 miles of Norwich has been abused like this.
Travellers I have to say do just the same, though it seems on any spare piece of land, farmers in the local area have had to dig huge trenches around their field to stop them.

I have my own Gardening business and it is a small one just to put it in perspective:

Just to carry any waste(a bin bags worth to tons) you need to pay carriage fees around £100 per month.
you then have to transport the said waste to a commercial site, where you then pay that company to dispose of it/recycle it upwards of £10 per load in my case (if the job itself only pays £30 is it worth it?).
I can totally understand why people fly tip, but it's abhorrent in my view!

since discovering these extra hidden costs early on when starting my gardening business, I have never taken garden waste. I simply can't afford it.

90% of my customers understand and are fine with it. one of my customers is another public business and can't afford the same costs, they just put garden waste in their household waste bins.
I strongly advise composting bins!:approve:
stupid really, the councils should encourage use of "green" bins, and excepting company green waste would stop a lot of fly tipping.:confused:

I have to say if i ever catch anyone fly-tipping they will have their vehicle reg. straight to the boys in blue!:rant:

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Whereabouts is that dumped Ishmael? If it's reasonably local to me, I've got a Landy and a trailer - if we can sort permissions to drive in with the land owner and somewhere to dump it with the local council then count me in.

Hey if its near you might not be too far for me. If you want some help then PM me, if I'm free I'll gladly come along to join in a trash out and bushcraft party.

Ishmael

May 4, 2009
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
Whereabouts is that dumped Ishmael? If it's reasonably local to me, I've got a Landy and a trailer - if we can sort permissions to drive in with the land owner and somewhere to dump it with the local council then count me in.

Cheers,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm way down in Wessex.
This sign, at the beginning of the trail, suggests that the problem is a long-term one hereabouts.
100_2627.jpg

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I strongly advise composting bins!:approve:
stupid really, the councils should encourage use of "green" bins, and excepting company green waste would stop a lot of fly tipping.:confused:

The bamboozling thing for me is when I see compostable green waste fly tipped in black plastic bags.

You'd think that folk would at least take the plastic bags away.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hey if its near you might not be too far for me. If you want some help then PM me, if I'm free I'll gladly come along to join in a trash out and bushcraft party.

Looks like this one is a little further away than we'd hoped.

Still... no reason not to keep a weather eye out for any that's local - if you're out and about and find some post it up in here and we'll see what we can get done about it.

The main thing will be making sure we're known about - nothing would be worse than turning up to remove someone else's fly tipped junk and ending up getting prosecuted because we can't prove we didn't tip it.

Can't be a bad way to break the ice regarding permissions to camp etc. either - plenty of people will look more favourably on someone who has just done them a favour in removing the rubbish, I'm sure.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Fly tipping makes my blood boil. I suspect it will get worse round here as the local tips not only ban vans but trailers with twin axles..any twin axle trailer!
My brother in law and I cleared mums garden with his recycled trailer, its a discarded hospital bed and car transporter ( the type that holds the front wheels) combined. As it has a twin axle, though obviously not commercial, we were given a leaflet and told we were banned:eek:
If this is the treatment Joe Public gets then what hope is there for others?
As for the signs proclaiming hidden cameras! Where? Running on what? And where is the local cop/ enforcement officer in the wee hours when presumably these acts occurr?
Today I had to make a detour due to flooding and saw a heap of bedroom stuff dumped on a farmers field! There is no cover from trees etc, just open fields so when was this dumped?
It is so saddening.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I think this is definately a question of the embodied cost of an item and making people be responsible and think that answer is at the 'other end' of the problem.
If at purchase all non recyclable items (plastics, tvs, fridges etc) had an appropriate surcharge for dealing with em when the time comes then this could then be a free service, right down and especially for plastic bags!
It is the owners responsability so only fair that they should pay the fee, since people are not responsible make us all pay up front or we dont get the item.
Equally if its part of a business im afraid yes you should be charged, although have had the same problems with driving vans and being told that my waste was commercial (of course it wasnt).
I dont really blame the council - cs if one makes it free then they will have all the neighbouring areas coming in.
More prosecutions, greater policing would also go a long way.
Personally i would be happy to spend an additional 200% the cost of the disposal at purchase to help fund these things.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I have to have a permit for our local tip in Stoke to be able to go with a trailor and I'm not driving a van.
It has to be stamped and I get 10 visits per year.
When it comes to rubble waste I'm limited to 2 plastic rubble sacks per visit, and the attendents watch you like a hawk to make sure you don't dump more.

I don't for a moment condone fly tipping but the councils are to blame for the cause in many instances. :(

Last edited:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I think this is definately a question of the embodied cost of an item and making people be responsible and think that answer is at the 'other end' of the problem.
If at purchase all non recyclable items (plastics, tvs, fridges etc) had an appropriate surcharge for dealing with em when the time comes then this could then be a free service, right down and especially for plastic bags!
It is the owners responsability so only fair that they should pay the fee, since people are not responsible make us all pay up front or we dont get the item.
Equally if its part of a business im afraid yes you should be charged, although have had the same problems with driving vans and being told that my waste was commercial (of course it wasnt).
I dont really blame the council - cs if one makes it free then they will have all the neighbouring areas coming in.
Personally i would be happy to spend an additional 200% the cost of the disposal at purchase to help fund these things.

sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Especially if it was coupled with a reduction in the amount they charge us for non specific waste disposal. For example, pur neighbours throw away at least 3 times as much as we do, yet we both pay the same for rubbish collection. The person who buys/throws should be the person who pays for the disposal.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm not sure that councils are entirely to blame for this. There is a dump near which is managed by West Lothian council, the staff there are very decent and you can easily turn up and dump loads of stuff. There's still a lot of fly tipping within a couple of miles of it. :(

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
It's probably a mixture of commercial people who wont/cant pay and private indeviduals who cant be bothered to drive to the tip, which can be 10+ miles away if you live in the country. As an indevidual I think we should be able to go to the council dump with what we want (within reason) as we have ALREADY paid for the service; what we will probably see is councils wanting to charge us a second time in future. A load of new EEC regulations have forced councils to control the disposal of rubbish a lot more over the last few years, which is what is going to cost us all more and is what is behind the moves to only pick up the bins every 2 weeks instead of weekly.

Last edited:

littlewolf

Feb 16, 2009
England
My local council tip wont allow me in with my Land Rover discovery without a Permit same for any trailer and no vans at all without permits and proof of non business use (i.e personal use only insurance no sign writing). It's rediculous really that some one can be turned away for driving a 4x4 after sitting waiting for upto an hour whilst the staff argue the toss with the drivers ahead of you. We had to resort to two or three trips in the missus' little hatch back when we could've made one trip and saved so much time and fuel.

Of course none of this makes fly tipping ok - but local councils need to be making more effort on all fronts to combat the problem, it's supposedly why we pay so much tax afterall.

Jun 13, 2008
mold
the waste dumped in local lanes and woods is a horrible sight

my job is a waste operative at a local power station and i am in the process of changing to zero landfill not an easy task councils have to charge for commercial waste as part of the environmental permits and land fill costs that government are raising vastly to try and encourage more recycling to catch up with our eu partners

this does create a problem for small buisnesses and larger ones equally 1 tonne of commercial and industrial waste ( what most people throw out in a black bin bag once a week) costs £300 to put in a hole 82% of the waste can be recycled with some thought and care but the uk has limited facilitys to do so

Jun 13, 2008
mold
Personally i would be happy to spend an additional 200% the cost of the disposal at purchase to help fund these things

fridges freezers tv Are recyclable and also Covered in W.E.E.E (waste elecrical and electronic equipment )
any company saling new w.e.e.e items has to offer a removal of the old one by law
wich is why i chuckle at currys offer to help you recycle THEY have to

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Fly tipping is terrible. The trouble is that whilst we have a society that is a throw away one, it will happen. BUT our whole economy is based on people buying new stuff on a regular basis. the cycle is complete. So we need (IMHO) to tackle things like this at the top.
Change how our economy works (what it is based on).
Until we can do that the rest is almost inevitable.
Wish i had the answer to it but I don't.
We throw away a lot less waste then nearlly everyone in our road and would throw evwen less away if the council would recycle more that could be but they don't.
Its very herd to buy things without the packaging these days. When we buy veg at the supermarket, we try not to use plastic bags to put the various fruit in. We have had the person on the checkout start putting the fruit in dif bags for us!!!
We had to ask them to stop. They just couldnt understand why we didn;t want them in all those bags!
Alan

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
we get a lot of illegal waste disposal round here, tyres, sofas, bathroom suites, builders rubble etc etc etc. The people who do it are lazy and anti social, but it has to be said the risks are balanced in their favour, and they are prepared to take their chances. The fly tippers know that unless you can prove conclusively exactly who dumped the waste, the land owner is liable for removal costs. It also costs a lot to pay off all the jobsworths who are now employed in the rubbish disposal and recycling industry (although evidently our local tip workers are saints compared to some described on here from other places:eek:)......so its an attractive proposition to risk dumping illegally rather than pay offocially-and exoribatantly. The end effect is that they basically get away with it while law abiding individuals and businesses get lumbered with ever increasing and arbitary costs imposed by the council, until they eventually might consider fly tiping them selves.......:rolleyes:

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Same thing happened to me. I took my daughter for a walk on Woodbury common, and she loves the woods, so we ducked and weaved our way into a wooded area and found a lovely clearing of trees beyond the holly. Just a pity someone left a trace of their fire.

P1230004.JPG

I thought that would be that, but oh no, there are people who just don't realise that they are ruining the area for the very reason they came to the spot (to get away and enjoy some out door space).

P1230003.JPG

She took the words from my mouth when she said "That's disgusting".

I think next time I might take a rubbish bag to remove this sort of thing. It's ruining the public perception of people like us who enjoy being in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE