BcUK fly of the month March 2024

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Welcome to the first monthly fly tying club for all members of BcUK.

The idea is that each month we will come up with a different fly pattern. Then, people can have a go at tying their own interpretations and post their results here. Hopefully this will spark some discussion and inspiration for everyone to have a go at tying (and using) more and different flys!

Without further ado we will start things off simple. Let’s all tie a…

WOOLY BUGGER!

You have until the 31st March to tie as many as you like however you feel and post results below. Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65 and Broch

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If someone says they caught on a Woolly Bugger, the image conjured is a marabou tail, palmered hackle and bulky-ish body of dubbing or chenille, but so much can be done upon that basic foundation!
I wanted to do something a little less basic for the basic shape, so used feathers in dubbing loops for the palmered hackles.

Golden olive brahma bugger: Size 12 longshank, chickabou tail, dubbed fur body blend with a little Hairline Ice Dub. The hackle is Brahma hen, too short to palmer, used 3 in the dubbing loop. Finished with a full hackle shoulder wrap.
DSC08985.JPG

Grey Partridge and purple bugger: Longshank 12, grey marabou tail, a little purple Mobile flash, grey partridge in a dubbing loop for the palmer, purple Hends UV Ice Dub. No idea if this will fish, but it looks a bit different and was an interesting tie.
DSC08987.JPG

Cree and Pheasant Brown Bugger: Longshank 6. Tail is pheasant fluffy feathers, shoulder collar is cock pheasant.
DSC08993.JPG

The addition of a dubbing loop spun fibre head (Semperfli Predator Fibre on this one) makes this more like an un-articulated mini Death Grip, but it is basically a Bugger with a wool head. Long, webby hackle palmered and blended with the wool collar and head.
DSC08995.JPG

These last are versions of what Fly Fish Food called a Humongous Blank Saver. Longer tail than typical Bugger. Loose dubbed Hairline Ice Dub body, grizzled olive palmered hackle with the whole lot scrubbed hard after tying off to pull out flash fibres. One has a tungsten bead, and one is a Booby version.
DSC08996.JPG

Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, last minute as usual :)

That was more difficult than I was expecting:
1) when I actually opened my fly tying box most of the 'natural' materials had been destroyed! (it is many year since I last tied a fly)
2) There was no decent hackle remaining
3) The last time I did this my eyesight was a great deal better :)

Anyway - here's a rather untidy and unconventional wooly bugger:

wooly bugger.jpg

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Just in the nick of time! :encourage:

Thank you to all who took part in this thread, please don’t think this is finished though as discussion can carry on after the month is through. Any suggestions for future flies please feel free to make too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE