Fly-Tying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 1, 2024
LANCASHIRE
Any other Fly-tyers on here?

Went to a night class nearly forty years ago, and was taught by an amazing fly-tyer.

The basics was what he concentrated on, and was an amazing teacher. Each week was a different fly and the night class had a dozen or so basic kits with the materials coming each week for the next pattern.

Never forgot his mantra nor basics.
Is this still a popular tradition?

Have any Fly-Tyer's ran classes?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Self-taught from books I'm afraid but I haven't done any for a while. The most satisfying was to tie a fly from goose feather, or whatever was at hand on the bank, cast, and catch a trout :)

When I was fishing a lot, I never bought flies.

Jan 1, 2024
LANCASHIRE
Yes. A lot of enjoyment to be had catching on your own tyings and experimental patterns.

I had a travel kit and vice once. It had a small midge vice with a finger loop on the stem, it was 4 inches long, and worn on your ring finger, the neck came up the palm of your hand and over your index finger. The tin had scissors a bobbin holder and hackle pliers and a mix of fur and feathers in it. All fitted in a 7 inch tin for 'matching the hatch'.

Wish I can remember where I put it.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Self taught here too. Personally I’m not sure what difference a lesson would make in this instance as essentially it’s more of an art than a science. I would go for some lessons in catching first, and get an in depth understanding of how the fish interact with their food and I think that would stand you in good stead for recreating that food source. After all you could have the best fly in the world but if the variables don’t add up then you won’t catch.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yeah, I tie.
I partially agree with @FerlasDave in that you can have the prettiest fly, but might not catch with it, but while there is art in fly tying, it is more about the mechanics of material manipulation and there is definitely much to be learned from others on how to do this, how to achieve effects and do so durably.

Between age 12 and 17 or so I was pretty obsessed with fly tying. This would have been first half of the 1990s. No one in my family was into fishing or anything like that but they were encouraging and good sports at taking me places. That was a good age to absorb knowledge like a sponge. I started with some basic instruction from a neighbour, then with some books, but I was pretty bad. Then met Gordon Fraser (author of Mastering the Nymph) when he was selling flies and materials at Eyebrook. He ran weekly courses during the winter and I went to those for a couple of years.

Trout Fisherman magazine ran a competition each year for junior fly tiers and I was fortunate enough to be overall winner one year. Partridge of Reddich was the sponsor and my prize was a factory tour, and a split cane rod of my choice, marked with my name. I entered and won places in a couple of open competitions too.

Back then the Country Landowners Association Game Fair had a big fishing section, and there was a big angling fair each year at Chatsworth house. I went to all the shows I could. Partridge were heavily involved in promoting tying and there were often top tiers demonstrating at their stand at the show. Partridge also organised fly tying symposiums at the Arrow Mill hotel and I went to that a couple of times. Weekends of talks and demos by world renowned fishermen and tiers. I got to chat with the likes of Chris Helm, Terry Ruane, Taff Price, Oliver Edwards, Davy Wooton, Hans DeGroot, Mike Sugg, and even got to meet Dave Whitlock a couple of times. Heady stuff for a lad in his mid-teens!

Then came university, other hobbies and drains on time and fly tying got relegated to storage under the bed. Dug it out when I went to New Zealand in 2015 and have had it out a few times since. Actually had it out a lot over the summer and autumn of 2023, and it is out again even now.

Rather a lot has changed since I was tying back in the old lodge at Eyebrook! Nymphs have got smaller and heavier, lures have got bigger and much more sophisticated, there are countless new materials, 30 some years of additional selective breeding have created dry fly hackles that are unbelievable to 1990s eyes.

There is so much good instruction on Youtube that I think there is less reason to go to classes, but as tying is a solitary activity, it was nice to be sat in a room with others, all shooting the breeze and winding materials.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I saw an interview with Kelly Galloup and he described how many fly designs he has had that just didn't fish well. Not a matter of them being the wrong fly on the day, but that they never really worked well. Others regularly produced results. That coming from a professional guide with a lot of knowledge about trout behavior.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Another one here who ties. When living in the Lake District stuff like the bibio, Zulu and soldier Palmer would take most my fish and they were incredibly easy to tie. Now I’m on the south wales rivers it’s mainly heavy nymph patterns that work. You can go into incredible detail like Oliver Edwards but a lot of the nymph are sacrificial as they can catch on the bottom. Again I revert back to simple patterns like a hares ear or PTN. I just very the size and weight.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey @SoldierPalmer
Had the same problem with heavy nymphs in November. I have been eying the (new to me) jig hooks designed to work with slotted tungsten beads, meant to make the fly ride hook point up. Can't help thinking this must cut down on bottom hook-ups. Have you tried them?
Something I did try with good success was Nash Cling-on tungsten putty. Fabulous stuff, really stayed on the line well, moulded into a long sausage on the tippet a few inches above the fly. Was told about it by a guide who said he had tried other brands but that the Nash stuff was the best he had used. He had cut down on the number of heavy nymphs he carried, and the range of weights, because he could so easily add or remove the putty from his set up.

While I admired Oliver Edward's patterns, I have his book, I was never much of a hand at tying them!

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
When I’m fishing euro nymph style I always use a jig hook on the bottom it does work. You’ll find a big difference when fishing on the bottom. They do get hung up still but it’s noticeable much less. The other thing I’ve used in the past is split shot on the bottom then having a fly a few inches further up again the shot will make its way between 2 stones but other than that it works fairly well. I’ve never tried the putty though.

My general set up for this sort of fishing is a 10ft 2wt rod and a rio competition line. The real killer is using a 20lb braided line with a short 4ft leader on it with a mid depth nymph and a jig nymph. You can feel every tiny movement through the braid. I’d generally fish between 10ft and 25ft away from my self. You don’t cast it in a traditional manner it’s more of a lob and the weight of the nymphs carry the line.

Jan 1, 2024
LANCASHIRE
Was more thinking of who was running classes for others to keep the skills passing on, rather than attending one.

I imagine it would be a good warm hobby for man shed or similar.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Haven’t tied in about 20 years but going to get back into it. Used to love sea trout fishing at night with flies recommended by Hugh Falkus. Any one recommend a good vise but nothing cheap, happy to spend on a good quality item.

Reactions: FerlasDave

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Haven’t tied in about 20 years but going to get back into it. Used to love sea trout fishing at night with flies recommended by Hugh Falkus. Any one recommend a good vise but nothing cheap, happy to spend on a good quality item.
I have a DynaKing, a model they don't make anymore, was kind of low-mid of their range. Very happy with it. I also have the side lever I used before, its a fixed angle and no rotation, and I really like having those adjustments. I have heard Regal are good and not too expensive.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Here is a thread that brings back pleasant memories... I used to tie when I was a lad, was taught by an uncle, and used them - often with some sort of permission... :rolleyes: - on the very beautiful river Chess in Herts.

Its fair to write, and I'm not exaggerating here, that I really was bloody awful at fly-tying; which is odd, because I had and have a fair eye for detail and a steady hand when doing very intricate work. Nonetheless I got enormous pleasure from the whole process, gathering materials, tying, and catching fish - which I nearly always ate, on principle, and generally found revolting.

We have a bit of river here and there are brook trout in it, a quarter pound at best, but it's not a chalk stream so it's a very different sort of place. My children enjoy it very much and the middle boy is particularly keen for fly fishing, and that jars my conscience... because I haven't made the time to teach him yet - just put it on the calendar to begin right after lambing. :angelic2:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
When living in the Lake District stuff like the bibio, Zulu and soldier Palmer would take most my fish and they were incredibly easy to tie.
@SoldierPalmer where did you fish in the lake District, if you don't mind me asking? I spent many hours spinning for trout in the north lakes in various spots, when I was young. I was highly unsuccessful but loved every minute. I had a go tying flies but never caught anything with them. Funny thing is, I sorted some stuff out in the garage the other day and found those same flies. They've, been gathering dust for more than twenty years!
I only ever fished to eat. It's all coarse fishing where I am now, it doesn't appeal as much. I haven't fished in a long time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE