Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Which are equal and opposing symbols :) as n is to A.

Alpha and omega, equals but opposing each other. which when collide make X and X is the only variable in science as what X is depends on whats at X at the time of A meeting n
Not really, as if they were arranged in a circle, as per your other post Alpha would be next to Omega, just as 12 is next to 1 on a clockface

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not really, as if they were arranged in a circle, as per your other post Alpha would be next to Omega, just as 12 is next to 1 on a clockface

Even better :) Though it would be omegaxAlpha But in english as i am thinking of Either way both ways make them opposing forces ;)

So in english A is opposing N( opposing in a circle) In greek A is opposite to n, opposite at both ends( same as A and Z in english

So Axn can only head towards each other, never away and AxZ will head away from each other

Celtic_Cross_w_Circle.jpg

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
There is no 'other side' to a black hole as such. A black hole is an object like a planet only far more dense. It isn't a hole, just appears as a hole because light cannot escape from it.

I thought I saw one during a camping trip and for a short time was convinced that it had scraped its fingernails along my tent, but it turned out just to be my mate, who'd been forced to get out of bed for a crap!

Kinna bad form to hi-jack an otherwise interesting post and divert it to a personal discussion between 2 or 3.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I thought I saw one during a camping trip and for a short time was convinced that it had scraped its fingernails along my tent, but it turned out just to be my mate, who'd been forced to get out of bed for a crap!

Kinna bad form to hi-jack an otherwise interesting post and divert it to a personal discussion between 2 or 3.

Well in fairness it was an old thread that had run it's course and was resurrected to run it's course a second time. What can you do, conversations take different directions just like real life. It's not a personal discussion, it's open to anyone. You have hardly helped get it back on track by taking the mick out of my story either. Kinda puts people off sharing their experiences when people do that.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Many apologies for resurrecting this thread but JonathanD put up a link to it on a different thread and have to share my experience.

Now I am sixty years old and have been solo camping longer then most on here methinks. Now I'm from a different era, things were far, far different to how things are today. From a very young age I fished and camped and walked the fields around my village. I knew everyone in the surrounding area and all the farmers and families. My parents had no worries about me being on my adventures with my mates every weekend yet I was only around ten years old, definitely before I started high school at 11 years.

I was once fishing and camping on my own and late at night heard a strange noise that kept getting closer. The more I concentrated, the louder it got, it sounded like a sort of 'chomp', 'chomp' of a large animal ripping up grass with its teeth and it was getting closer! I feared that it was a bull, so leapt up opened the tent and stood up to see what it was - nothing! Nothing all around me, a nice clear night but nothing!! I settled down again, my heart pounding. I was a mile from the nearest farm but a schoolfriend lived there and my life wouldn't be worth living if I ran there and told my tale so I tried to sleep. I dozed off.

Then half awake it started again, 'chomp', 'chomp' I focused on where it was and how near it was. It was getting nearer and nearer and I was bricking it bigtime. Then I realised what it was - I was laying on a plastic inflateable airbed with a built in pillow. My eyelashes were in contact with the pillow which was acting like a huge drum magnifiying the sound of my lashes as I blinked!!

I've never been frightened since. Slept on battlefields, in graveyards allsorts but that night as a boy taught me what my dad told me '' There's 'nowt there in the dark thats not there when lights are on' - Best regards, Geoff.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
well said geoff mate now when i told my grandad i was scared of the dark when i was five (22 now) i was taken in to attic at night with out a torch and asked whats there and i could tell my grandad cos its only whats there when i went with a torch during the day he then turned to me and said so why are you scared of the dark i then well i am not and havent been ever since

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They eyelash thing has scared me too when I was a kid. It's amazing what noise your lashes make when your ear is pressed into the surounding matter.

However, here is the proof that what I heard was no eylash, but something very weird in that area. Davey569 has stopped with me within the last few days, and I'm sure he will testify that it is just not possible to sneak up on anyone without considerable noise, and that I am not at all scared by anything and can rationalise noises as I am very knowledgable about nature, animals, and the noises they make.

26-27-28Jun2010174.jpg

The date on this might weird Dave out, but he is away doing his army stuff for a few weeks.

I have also slept on battlefields within metres of enemy territory, and done so many covert OPs in NI that I've lost count. I refused to be scared by this stuff, but I cannot get to grips with the weirdness of it all.

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i do expeditions for work... been in the army and go solo camping in some of the most remote parts of the world... i still brick it like a girl guide sometimes... just depends how tired i am and what state of mind im in....

ive camped in abandoned towns and ended up running out half way through the night!

the worst is fireflies in the jungle... always looks like there are people with a torch walking about.....

sigh... just have to get on with it i guess... i know there is nothing there... and i just go to sleep eventually and ive not died yet..... hahaha

what an admission from an expedition leader!!! tis true though...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
JonathanD,

what is that ? where was it found ? what circumstances ?

interested in the story behind this

Robbi

The story behind it is in this thread, just go back and read my account.

& trekkingnut, I am with you, I have been through the military regime and training, beyond what most get up to and have since been on expeditions around the world as a herpetologist, from South America, Africa to Thailand and Papua New Guinea. This weirdness happened just a couple of miles away from where I live and I can't find a rational explanation.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i was never really scared as a soldier... sitting in a harbour area surrounded by 25+ heavily armed people and my signaler next to me... could radio for help if i got scared! hehe!

its always the loan camping that gets me....

i remember hearing the story of the duende, its a south/central american 3 fingered dwarf midget thing. if you are walking through the jungle and see a man beckoning to you with three fingers, you should hide your hands, if it sees you have more fingers than it does it will get jealous and you will never be seen again.

so theres me over in bariloche, camping my an enormous lake in the middle of the andes. surrounded by hundreds of miles of forest and a good few hours from civilization. theres a bloody tree stump a few tens of meteres away that looks identical to this thing in my mind. every time i turned around i nearly crapped myself. then the wind picked up and that was it. tent rattling, branches snapping, midget dwarf dead tree man outside. sigh...... didnt sleep a wink!

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Hope you didn't think I was poo pooing anything about your post buddy? Merely telling an old tale.

Haven't read this thread in its entirity but I will tomorrow. From what i have read about the scratching down your tent and the footprint, then it was obviously someone having a laugh? A fleet footed youth who could make cover before you could open the tent? My prints would go quite a few inches more into the mud!!!;)Geoff.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hope you didn't think I was poo pooing anything about your post buddy? Merely telling an old tale.

Haven't read this thread in its entirity but I will tomorrow. From what i have read about the scratching down your tent and the footprint, then it was obviously someone having a laugh? A fleet footed youth who could make cover before you could open the tent? My prints would go quite a few inches more into the mud!!!;)Geoff.

I can understand anyone poo pooing it as no one knows my mind, or even the area, except maybe three people. So don't woory about that.

The place where that camp is would be utterly impossible to get to soundlessly in the day, at night it is just utterly utterly impossible. Dave will confirm this, it's why I choose to camp there. it takes about five minutes of noisy walking to get there and there is only the access route that I madeas it is overgrown and is in a U bend of a river and covered for three quarters by the river, the rest is rotting branches and Himalayan Balsam (I'm 6ft 2ins and it towers above me), which you can't traverse without huge amounts of noise. Even otters, badgers and hedgehogs make a right racket going through it, human size noise is something exceptional. Again Davey569 will confirm this.

I've slept alone in parts of the world where I've heard wild lions and hyenas (and that is spine chilling), howler monkeys and all kinds of animals I am not familiar with, in the centre of England, these sounds and the events surrounding them, I just cannot explain. Especially in such an enclosed place. Incidentally, It is called Devils Den on OS maps. Now renamed Devals Den by Dave.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
maybe it was a bat flying into it and then sliding off... they have nails.... could have just scratched and slid off... or brushed it on the way past.... they do bang into things sometimes even with eco location....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
maybe it was a bat flying into it and then sliding off... they have nails.... could have just scratched and slid off... or brushed it on the way past.... they do bang into things sometimes even with eco location....

I know bats very well, I used to be a bat worker. Even Noctules don't weigh anywhere near that much or have the four points of contact fingers do. They also dont't slide in pairs in a slow controlled manner several seconds apart and do the same hours after from ridge line to base. It was no bat. Believe me.

Last edited:

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I can understand anyone poo pooing it as no one knows my mind, or even the area, except maybe three people. So don't woory about that.

The place where that camp is would be utterly impossible to get to soundlessly in the day, at night it is just utterly utterly impossible. Dave will confirm this, it's why I choose to camp there. it takes about five minutes of noisy walking to get there and there is only the access route that I madeas it is overgrown and is in a U bend of a river and covered for three quarters by the river, the rest is rotting branches and Himalayan Balsam (I'm 6ft 2ins and it towers above me), which you can't traverse without huge amounts of noise. Even otters, badgers and hedgehogs make a right racket going through it, human size noise is something exceptional. Again Davey569 will confirm this.

I've slept alone in parts of the world where I've heard wild lions and hyenas (and that is spine chilling), howler monkeys and all kinds of animals I am not familiar with, in the centre of England, these sounds and the events surrounding them, I just cannot explain. Especially in such an enclosed place. Incidentally, It is called Devils Den on OS maps. Now renamed Devals Den by Dave.

Well I've read the whole thread - thats two hours of my life I'll not be getting back!!!:)

Your post and the diving one in the lakes interested me. I think the finding of the footprints and the persons behaviour and the drunken rambo with the machete proves the existence of some serious individuals.

Years ago some workmates opened the doors of a large electrical substation late one night to be faced by a ninja! Head to toe in black, Samouri sword the lot! He walked silently past them, swishing his sword with each step he took Bruce Lee style!!:yikes:

One can only guess about the person who crept about your site on all fours scratching at your tent. They must have practised it for years to be so silent? Also looks like they enter your site by crossing / walking down the stream?

Have seen individuals living in the wild in Scotland a few times,(and I don't mean campers) never encroached on them nor them on me but yours looks like someone quite different and infinitely more dangerous. Regards, Geoff.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They eyelash thing has scared me too when I was a kid. It's amazing what noise your lashes make when your ear is pressed into the surounding matter.

However, here is the proof that what I heard was no eylash, but something very weird in that area. Davey569 has stopped with me within the last few days, and I'm sure he will testify that it is just not possible to sneak up on anyone without considerable noise, and that I am not at all scared by anything and can rationalise noises as I am very knowledgable about nature, animals, and the noises they make.

26-27-28Jun2010174.jpg

The date on this might weird Dave out, but he is away doing his army stuff for a few weeks.

I have also slept on battlefields within metres of enemy territory, and done so many covert OPs in NI that I've lost count. I refused to be scared by this stuff, but I cannot get to grips with the weirdness of it all.

That's freaky.
I'd gather up a load of chestnut casings, thistles and the like and scatter them about the floor at night. That'll learn 'em for sneaking in barefoot.

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark

What precisely is there left to explain?

You have already solved the mystery by using your own tracking skills. What more is there left to achieve in this regard? Track down and confront the "wild" person in the area? Such a course of action could prove violent - especially if the "wild" person has some kind of mental stability dysfuction...

As for the noise:

I dont know the area, but could it be possible for the "wild" person to hide behind some brush and stroke the outer layer of your tent with som kind of long shaft/branch with a fingernail-like structure?

If the person is just mildly observant there would be plenty of time to retract the branch/pole into the brushes and disappear while you make your way out if the tent.

If such a person were truly camouflaged if would be nearly impossible (practically regardless of training level) do discover him in the dark.

Furthermore: Would the sound of the "wild" person disappearing in the brushes not be completely drowned by your own noises in getting out of the tent? (I have never had the pleasure of using a tent which were noise-less in operation. I strongly doubt such a tent exists..)

It takes a truly weird person to do such things, but I have actually met a few such individuals out in the wilderness when teaching bushcraft and field biology. One night some of my course participiants were actually getting harrased by a "mob" of some misguided morons who thought they were good at camouflage. Most of my students had a good laugh though when the wannabe bullies found out the were beeing tracked by something (me...) and came running out of the woods in full screaming panic!

(Maybe _they_ (the wannabe bullies) are now telling stories about a wild bearded man soundlessly wielding a viking-like axe at night in the woods...)

Anyway, you solved you own mystery, by using you own knowledge and skills - instead of subjecting to some medieval-like explanation involving supernatural forces.

For that, you have my respect!

//Kim Horsevad

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I haven't solved the mystery as it is utterly impossible to move without noise or hide anywhere quickly without making massive amounts of noise in the spot where I camp. The footprints are from another time and you can't get into the stream without making a noise either, as the bank is a four foot sheer drop. It's difficult to reiterate exactly how the area is impossible to move around without noise in the daytime let alone night, and the time it took me to vacate the tent and look around with my PNGs would mean that whoever it was would have to move at speed, to get into the balsam to hide. You just can't walk through six foot himalayan balsam without it making great whopping amounts of noise underfoot. The place is like a swamp with rotting dead branches and twigs everywhere. The only path into teh area is the one I made, and if that was used, the blsam that I flattened is underfoot and makes noise however you tread on it. This is what is weird and freaks me out slightly. Again, I wish Dave was online so he can confirm what I'm saying.

the only explanation I can think of is some underground hole concealed very cleverly in some way. Body sized 'graves' like this appear in other areas of the woods, but it means that I had been camping almost on top of this trap door and whoever was in it would have been there all the time. That is freaky, but short of the person flying in, that is the only explanation.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE