Fear of testicular torsion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I think it is a medically documented fact that as a result of being capable of child carrying and birth, the average woman has both a higher pain threshold and a stronger immune system than the average man.

With my physiology lecturer hat on: Women have a better immune system - yes. Most disease resistance is linked to the x chromosome, so women have 2 copies, so have better disease resistance than men. Higher pain threshold? No. Men have a significantly higher pain threshold than women. Childbirth? Well, if a man had the same physiological alterations (tendons becoming more elastic, pelvic shape altering to widen the birth canal, and a cocktail of pain-reducing hormones in the bloodstream) that women have, then childbirth would cause less pain to a man than it does to a woman.

Women tend not to like it when I say this to them, but nonetheless it is true.

On the other hand, men probably (certainly) have a much lower whinge threshold in relation to pain.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
BRILLIANT! It's all arranged then. Tickets, anyone?! Oh and if there's any brewers of mind bleach, we may have a great sales generator for you.... ;)

Did... Did she just cajole John into... ehh a BS&C? Oh Lordy I fear for the man. I told you she was part of an unholy trinity, a coven of bushcraft jezebels out to taint and flay our innocent bearded brethren. We who put our simple skills into the good woodlands and soil of this land with nought but wood, stone and iron. While they, they the tempting triangle of terror that is Turbogirl, Mary and Elen have their confounded infernal combustion engine, dyes potions and unction's and the last her words of power, twisting away at the mind. We must save our brother and cleanse these daughters of Eve before they defile our mind.

Or I could laugh, have a coffee... and go for a walk? What to do.

GB.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
With my physiology lecturer hat on: Women have a better immune system - yes. Most disease resistance is linked to the x chromosome, so women have 2 copies, so have better disease resistance than men. Higher pain threshold? No. Men have a significantly higher pain threshold than women. Childbirth? Well, if a man had the same physiological alterations (tendons becoming more elastic, pelvic shape altering to widen the birth canal, and a cocktail of pain-reducing hormones in the bloodstream) that women have, then childbirth would cause less pain to a man than it does to a woman.

Women tend not to like it when I say this to them, but nonetheless it is true.

On the other hand, men probably (certainly) have a much lower whinge threshold in relation to pain.

These guys certainly wished for those physiological differences

The look on the grey haired guys face at the end is priceless :rofl:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I bet they had electronically induced testicular torsions after that! Poor lads :)

I shelled my kids like peas... well, more like 6" mortars, I s'pose ;) but some of the sistas do have a devil of a time, we're no longer well designed for our type of spawning :S When I was having no.1, there was an asian lass screaming the place down. Turned out she'd had a botched female circumcision and the baby ripped through to her anus with the strength of her contractions... it got quieter after that as she passed out, unsurprisingly!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I bet they had electronically induced testicular torsions after that! Poor lads :)

I shelled my kids like peas... well, more like 6" mortars, I s'pose ;) but some of the sistas do have a devil of a time, we're no longer well designed for our type of spawning :S When I was having no.1, there was an asian lass screaming the place down. Turned out she'd had a botched female circumcision and the baby ripped through to her anus with the strength of her contractions... it got quieter after that as she passed out, unsurprisingly!

Ouch!
Seemingly, according to a friend of mine who has gone through both, renal colic (body trying to expel kidney stones) is worse than childbirth. I have gone through renal colic more times than I can recall (I used to carry Pethedine in my wallet "just in case") but still do not fancy childbirth...

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
We all know that faced with a persuasive woman, no, no, no becomes yes, yes, yes.... I really think you could get in touch with your inner woman and enjoy the experience! It'd be an eye-opener ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I AM in touch with my inner woman and she says "No!" as well - and here is no argueing with her when she gets the bit between her teeth!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Nonsense. Read "Hypnobirthing" by Marie Mongan, the physiology stuff not the Hypno stuff.
I'm sorry, lifes too short for a woman who has done all her birthing and doesn't have daughters... think I'll stick with my Cider with Rosie :)

So she proves that being upright hasn't affected the ease of birth and that our cultures influences on birth (maternal obesity, lowered pain threasholds etc) isn't undermining our choices to have children naturally? Amazing :)

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I dismantled a shed in my teens and trod on a plank putting a 6in nail through my foot!
Bad enough I spose, thing is 3 days later my left ball had swollen up to be the size of an orange
and really painful. antibiotics and all sorted. thing is I swear it still isn't right, its like the runt of
the litter compared to the other one. just thought id throw that in the mix.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
We all know that faced with a persuasive woman, no, no, no becomes yes, yes, yes.... I really think you could get in touch with your inner woman and enjoy the experience! It'd be an eye-opener ;)

It is the bushy element that's lacking. You can't persuade John if Veet is all that is on offer. Perhaps if the BS&C job was combined with some of the firecraft activities?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It is the bushy element that's lacking. You can't persuade John if Veet is all that is on offer. Perhaps if the BS&C job was combined with some of the firecraft activities?

Or make a workshop out of it? Do half his BS&C with Veet and half with some freshly knapped flint tool and compare the finish!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Or make a workshop out of it? Do half his BS&C with Veet and half with some freshly knapped flint tool and compare the finish!

It would only finish in tears!
The answer is still "NO!" and my wife agrees with that answer - so there! What my Mrs says - goes and no-one argues!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
It would only finish in tears!
The answer is still "NO!" and my wife agrees with that answer - so there! What my Mrs says - goes and no-one argues!

She's just feeling left out. Once she gets the invitation she'll be happy to go ahead with the treatment :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

That's the idea. TurboGirl's the expert so we'll need her opinion but it looks to me as though there'd be enough hair to try 4 or 5 different techniques. We have the Veet, fire and flint so far. Any idea for 2 more?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE