Fear of testicular torsion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
Anybody else get this fear?

You have to have emergency surgery within 6 to 12 hours or you lose the affected testicle.

If it happened in the city one could get to A+E but far out in the bush and there's little hope. Guess the chances are slim but it makes me anxious about going out sometimes. I'm only half serious of course. I wouldn't let it ruin a trip, but it would be among the worst things that could happen on one.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I didn't know what it was but I actually felt pain down there while looking it up. Awful. I hope this can't happen during normal activity...

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sounds horrendous, but my biggest worry is normally slashing my femoral artery. Elbows on knees boys and girls :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's good we know it exists now though. So you know what it is when you have it and what you need to do. (Like get to a hospital):)

I'm guessing it's something to do with bits getting twisted or ended up in places they shouldn't be, either way I'm not gonna Google it :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
***?
What's the actual odds of it happening, as compared to the possibility of having a fatal accident with a fridge or getting brain cancer from reading The Daily Mail too much?

Practically nil? Yeah nothing to see here, move on.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Kid at school had it happen playing cricket, was embarrassed so said nowt for a couple of days, swelled up like an Orange and he had to have it removed.

Got him the nickname of Tobermoray

Worst injury I've heard of in that area I'm not sure if it's an urban myth as it's a rugby one.
Story goes player dislocates his hip, screaming in agony, someone pulls on leg to put it back in and testicle gets trapped in the socket!! Like I say it sounds a bit far fetched to be true but it doesn't half make you squirm even considering It.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
I heard about it a few months back when a mate had it.. woke up in agony and drove full speed to the hospital to get it fixed! Fortunately it's rare. Happens to 1 in 4000 of us each year and usually in cold climates, so opt for the big sleeping bag :)

Dec 16, 2007
I had it at 15 and I was in bed at the time my dad asked if I caught it on the down stroke. Was rushed to hospital and in surgery within 2 hours now both are stitched in place so it will never happen again. Was bloody painful and does feel like you have been given a right proper shoeing in the happy sacks. this I would wish on my worse enemy.

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
A couple of weeks back, a big fella at work was pratting about, decided to leapfrog a chair and managed to twist his low hanger, good and proper.

I have never heard a big bloke emit such a high pitched scream.

I could not help laughing (I know it was wrong) but when we got him to the ozzy, the staff were wetting themselves about his predicament too (British professionalism at its best) so I did not feel too bad.

The big fella and his testicle have now both made a full recovery.

Still makes me chuckle though :D

Be safe out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE