Favourite Piece of Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
What do you like the most in your kit?

I can imagine alot of people saying their Knife but for me, it is the processed flint and striker or the wire saw - which comes in very handy time to time.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I guess for some, their favorite will be the most functional and practicality will take over but for me, it's my knife...

If I were being practical, it would be my knife too but i'm not... and it's still my knife.

I like looking at it, I still find patterns in the handle that I haven't seen before and I like the feel of it in my hand.

A close second would be my jacket because it's so comfy that I practically live in it but that's by the by.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
My hammock,

Not only is it a bed when I'm bushcrafting but when I put it up outside a pub on a sunny afternoon and lie there with a drink and smoke I definately look the coolest dude around even if I'm not wearing designer clothes or driving a flash car. :cool:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I'm nor sure what my one single favourite piece of kit is... I rate everything in my kit or else it wouldn't ever make it into my kit :)

My absolute favourite would have to be a trangia / Swedish Army mess kit - I love their simplicty and versatility.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I have two things and I really can't decided which to go for so I'm having both :) .

One would be my knife, which is looking well worn and full of character, and the other has got to be a clik stand which I've bought recently. When it arived I thought it was overpriced for what it was, but now after going on a few trips and using it WOW! It's superb and I love it to bits. I love the way it comes apart and drops into my billy for carrying in my pack.

Tony

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
My billy can. Without it I am cold,thirst, hunger and it's not bad for digging and carring things either. Add to my swedish army mess kit and it's alost the most essential peice of Bushcraft kit.

That would be me and then my knife.

James

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Squidders said:
I guess for some, their favorite will be the most functional and practicality will take over.

Yup.

Good boots and good socks. Don't leave home without them.

More a walkers than a bushcrafters answer, I guess :eek:

Not meant facetiously, though. I've suffered more through poor footwear than owt else, all things considered. Maybe it's a hilliness thing. The Dark Peak is kind of unforgiving to the poorly shod.

Counts double if doing more than a day or two...

Jim.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
On the basis of what I miss most if I don't take it (them)...

My Binoculars.. it doesn't matter whether I'm hillwalking, bushcrafting, walking the dog , whatever... and not just for watching birds, butterflies or other beasties although I do a lot of that... They save my legs by helping pick the right route, or help me check out plants, or ID trees in winter by looking at the buds.. and the ripeness of fruit.. or those tracks in the mud across the river.. and of course they give me an extra half an hour of daylight if I'm out at dusk.... and of course you can see a lot more stars with them.. and then... well you get the picture!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok... in theory then you lot... if you've got two kids, your favorite would be the most useful one? the one who can cook the best or make the best furnature or earn the most money?

Surely, you can pick a favorite that for some inexplicable reason just pleases you more than the rest, something maybe not the best but in some way it's got some history or sentimental value?

I notice very few are naming something they have made... I would rather lose most of my kit but not the spoon I made as it was formed in an instant that constantly reminds me of a great weekend... everything else can be replaced but that cant.

I don't care if it's the best I have or if by saying it I run the risk of giving bad advice or getting some abuse.

What's your REAL favorite? ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE