Favourite Piece of Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moine

Forager
Squidders said:
What's your REAL favorite? ;)

Ok then :)

My old, beat up, tramontina machete. I bought it when I was a kid. It's been with me ever since... This old machete has built more cabins, cut more saplings, made more bough beds, seen more rain, dug more dirt, hit more rocks, built more fire and rode more rivers than you guys could imagine... Every time I grab it, I see it's old blackened (fire charcoal) and beat up blade, and I'm there again, on my beloved Bonaventure River, back in Quebec, with the mosquitoes, the smell of the water, the campfire, the salmon steacks sticking on those flat rocks, the black bears, the green canoe...

Every time I grab it, it draws a warm smile on my face. Like seeing an old friend...

That smile, while holding a 17 inches blade, is something that scares the hell out of most folks I know LOL

Cheers ;)

David

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
My pocket edition GEM SAS survival guide . Do you have any idea what a PITA it is going on a hike and somebody says "Chris, your the expert and host that survival forum, how do we XYZ?" I quickly beg to be excused to 'relieve myself' run behind a big piece of shrubbery, and whilst letting out sighs of relief quickly thumb through my copy. Then I step out boldly announcing "Right, now as to building that ---" ;)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A copy of the pre-70's Scouting for Boys.

I need to replace this(It is out in the shops(bookers) at the moment).

This is a book written in 1907, that talks about sex education. It was first published in 1908 as a series of articles in the Strand magazine. If Bushcraft has a bible this should be it.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
A carry a pocket survival guide everywhere too! Good to read and learn from and help you out if needed. :)

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I was going to say my mind / brain but I have been known to loose the former in moments of sheer revelry or those, 'I wonder what's over there' moments we all get when exploring somewhere and discovering something new. At those times my hammock is the best thing, lie back and relax for half an hour then my head will be clear enough for whatever I need to do.

It definately stops me getting crazy when I find a good show of colour on a gravel bar while prospecting for gold.Stop, take a break then work it systamatically instead of going at it like mad and risking getting trapped by a loose boulder.

Moine

Forager
Squidders said:
Moine my friend... that is a truely compelling answer!
Thanks, Squidders...

Also thanks for forcing me to reconnect with those things for a moment. Being trapped within bushcraft and technique and teaching and gear, I tend to forget those simple things... This sheer and mindless passion I have for those places where the mosquitoes and black flies rule, unchallenged, at the top of the food chain ;)

Cheers,

David

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Moine said:
Ok then :)

My old, beat up, tramontina machete....

That smile, while holding a 17 inches blade, is something that scares the hell out of most folks I know LOL

Cheers ;)

David

David

Does "that smile" look anything like that of your chosen avatar? Just wondering... :D

Vince

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Favorite kit for me probably has to be the things that I carry everytime I go out into the field.

My knife, a length of paracord, a cusader mug and water bottle (great system) and a swedish firesteel. Usually a laplander folding saw as well.

Oh and a couple of Jordens Special muesli bars (wonderful things).

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I had to think about this one a lot I love My R Linger bushcraft knife an anniversary present from Val. :)

The bit of kit that goes everywhere and has been with me for the last 15 yrs and is still as good as new is my Silva T3 compass. Its got me off mountains in whites outs helped me nav in the artic. A trusty friend. I would be gutted if i lost it.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
A picture says a thousand words:

bushcraft13_2.jpg

G

Gripper

Mine has to be my knife, my Swanndri and my issue mug and burner, I replace the hingpin on the mug with a ferro rod so as long as I have the mug/canteen setup with me I can always get a brew on...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Gripper said:
Mine I replace the hingpin on the mug with a ferro rod so as long as I have the mug/canteen setup with me I can always get a brew on...
That's a good idea, I didn't realise you could get rods that thin :)

Cheers

Mark

G

Gripper

Buckshot, got a pack of 5 ferro rods from Hoods in USA, cost about $18.00AUD delivered and with a bit of tweaking with the Leatherman and 1/4" removed with a Dremmel they fit perfectly. Plus still easy enough to remove if I need to get the fire going.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I think my favourite bit of kit is probaby my knife too, but i love a good book to read too when I'm tucked up in bed with the glow of the candle lantern :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE