Favourite Piece of Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
As well as the usual stuff, my favourite bit of kit is my 512Mb mp3 player with about 100 songs on it :) lasts about 8 hours on one AAA, great stuff

T

theorsmeister

For me its a few things together, all of which have sentimental value as well as being good quality and useful.

My knife(well obviously) a lovely Grohmann #1 Being my fav knife ATM.

My Lowe Alpine Walkabout 35 - Sure its not that big, and i've other big packs, but this is the one that I always loved, strong, almost waterproof (i tried filling it once whilst washing it and it is almost totally waterproof - even tho its not supposed to be.

My Lucido Cool Light C10 - Lovely torch, superb battery life, so far no one has believed me when i told them how long it lasts!!!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If we step outside the realm of survival a bit, my absolute favorite piece of kit has to be a good pair of binoculars. I feel lost without them. And the older I get, the more I appreciate them. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Squidders said:
Ok... in theory then you lot... if you've got two kids, your favorite would be the most useful one? the one who can cook the best or make the best furnature or earn the most money?

Surely, you can pick a favorite that for some inexplicable reason just pleases you more than the rest, something maybe not the best but in some way it's got some history or sentimental value?

I notice very few are naming something they have made... I would rather lose most of my kit but not the spoon I made as it was formed in an instant that constantly reminds me of a great weekend... everything else can be replaced but that cant.

I don't care if it's the best I have or if by saying it I run the risk of giving bad advice or getting some abuse.

What's your REAL favorite? ;)

I was looking over some old posts and I realised I do have a REAL favourite.

When I was about eight my father gave me his barrel knife, it was old then and I suppose now that he may have been given it my grandfather.

This remained a treasured possession until it was stolen from me at college 20 years ago.

I never saw another one since to replace it with until I started looking for them on ebay.

A little while ago I got this:

Barrel-knife-1.jpg

Barrel-knife-2.jpg

Barrel-knife-3.jpg

It’s slightly bigger than the one dad gave me but that suits my hand size better now.

It needed a bit of work on it to bring it back into good condition but this is now definitely my favourite bit of kit. Not because it is the most useful, although it may be that, but just because it feels so good.

It has the feel that only something with it’s own history can have. Also there is a sense of personal history to it as well, although I suppose it can never truly replace the one I lost.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Without a doubt, my two favourite pieces of kit are my Ventile anorak and my US issue jungle boots.

The Ventile because I'd wanted one for years and years and years and finally last year I was given one. It's the most comfortable, functional, durable piece of kit that I've ever owned. I've gotten scorned by people because it's cotton and "cotton kills." They usually stop laughing once it starts raining and they're huffing and puffing from condensation inside of their hoity toity Gore-Tex jackets which don't breathe worth a damn and don't last more than a half decade.

The improved jungle boots because they're the best summer time boots I've ever owned. I've had quite a few pairs of hiking boots over the years, but in the summer, the jungle boots breathe far better than any leather boot I've had the pleasure to wear, and they dry very quickly when they become damp. I've had to do more than my fair share of stream crossings, and I still shudder when I remember having to remove my leather boots and dump out litres of water and wring out sodden socks. With the jungle boots and a good bottle of foot powder for the evening, for summer time use, nothing beats these boots.

Adam

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
When the time comes, my favourite....... a small trowel and a bog roll in a poly bag. ;)
Sorry to lower the tone, but it's not just bears that go into the woods. :D

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
My hudson's bay hatchet, had it since a young fellow; followed closely by my knife. My old compass only if I want to go to the home that I left and not to the home I am going to, I am always in America and time is never the supreme factor. CG :yo:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
One of the best things I ever bought is a 'headover' - just an elasticated tube of fabric. Keeps your neck warm. Helps seal heat in when you zip up the fleece jacket. Handy to lift pots, or as improvised towel or bandage. Can convert to hat or balaclava.

About £3 -£4. A 'Buff' is similar but dearer.

I also like my micarta Woodlore knife, my 8x30 Russian copy of Zeiss monocular, my Shakespeare Expedition fly rod, my Swedish army Trangia and my Novacraft canoe.......especially when I get to use them all in the same weekend.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Mutley said:
What do you like the most in your kit?

I can imagine alot of people saying their Knife but for me, it is the processed flint and striker or the wire saw - which comes in very handy time to time.

In summer, it is my HB blanket. I love HB blankets.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Martyn said:
Ironically, the original Hudson Bay point blanket is "Made in England".

Try and find one here though.

It is my understanding they are still made in England by Earlys of Whitney.

I have probably about eight good wool blankets. Some are tagged HBC, and some are tagged Earlys of Whitney. They are all made by Earlys of Whitney, but I believe the HBC fulls them a bit once they get to Canada. The HBC blankets are always slightly thicker and slightly smaller in size.

I have about ten or twelve other wool blankets, but none compare to the HBC or E of W blankets.

PG

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Mine is my hat, a lightweight quechua brand one from Decathlon. Like most british people, I never wore one until I came to live somewhere where the sun is actually hot, but now I take it out all the time. It's got a brim all the way around the edge, which means that I don't ever need to go thouh the irritation of putting suncream on my face or neck, and is vastly more comfortable in the rain than a hood. How many hoods actually keep the rain off your face? None of mine ever did.

Numbe two would be my new keyring LED light, also from decathlon. I've got so much use out of it because it stays in my pocket 24/7. I have an AA maglight, but that never gets any use because it stays in my big pack. It's too heavy to live in my pocket. I gave the LED an accidental wash in my trouser pocket yesterday, and it came out shiny clean and still working. :)

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
As a former resident of 'Witney' (my parents still live there) I'm fairly sure the blankets are no longer made and the town; it's sad that the most significant industry of the town has pretty much dwindled to nothing.

The old factory site is now occupied by a new exclusive housing estate.

It's quite bizarre, Witney blankets are quite well known in the US but most people in England have never heard of the place.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Klenchblaize said:
The key to my "rumble truck" as my daughter calls my Landrover and in particular the heated seat! :lmao:

Cheers!

DSC01941.jpg
[/IMG]

OMG Klench are you a spaceman, My Landy doesn't look like that :You_Rock_

My fave piece of kit would have to be my knife (s), either im'e not fussed, i like the feel of them in my hand and on my side, I use it every day and i wouldn't be without one. My Estwing hatchet, bought by my wife as a present for a birthday a few years ago, and almost certainly my dog "Titch" who is with me practically every day, she's always there to talk to, and when im'e cold she's the one who snuggles up to me, although she'e crap at stalking! being a cross staff she's far to giddy :)

Mark

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Klenchblaize said:
The key to my "rumble truck" as my daughter calls my Landrover and in particular the heated seat! :lmao:

Cheers!

DSC01941.jpg
[/IMG]
Hang on, that Landy is full of electrics.... :eek:

Our Landy is full of....hammers and spanners..............

Thats clearly a Toyota with a Landy body shell :lmao:

Now this sounds truly gut wrenching but...the most valuable piece of kit I have is .....my buddy Tim's phone number.

Another health problem....lets go camping and take your mind off it......

Can't sleep......lets chat about stuff.....

Bored ...lets try something new........whats the next "project"......

Need some time in "bush" on my own? .....Call me when you are back

Lost it :banghead: .........borrow mine

Hell, he can HAVE my knife!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE