Expensive Knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I must disagree , a £5 Mora is not going to last aslong as a decent full tang 3-4mm thick Bushcraft knife, they break and that's a fact.
Nothing wrong with them they take a good edge and can perform most tasks really well but they chip easyer when carving hardwoods due to the shallow grind and I have seen a few break. I would not trust one on a weeks trip ( probably take 2 or 3).
I don't want to offend the Mora fans, sorry if I have.

I've had them same on for 12 years, been used daily, never chipped the blade.
Then again in aware of the fact its a knife and not an axe and I use it as such hence why its lasted so long

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
i think its down to preference, like previous posts have said, sometimes you need a thinner knife for finer jobs and sometimes a thicker more robust knife for 'Battening' etc

i have to say, i sent my favorite knives upto a well respected maker, who produced for me a knife of absolute beauty and quality, its in a steel i wanted, holds a great edge and feels like it is moulded to my hand, this you only get with custom knives IMO.

however, daily i use a Gerber gator drop point as a general pocket knife, and my trusty old Opinel No 8 for fruit and food prep!..... and when i go out shrafting.... i mostly forget the custom as i already have my daily's in my pocket....

dont suppose this has helped really, but thought i would share.

Adam.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
[video=youtube;F2I9n8dOgSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=F2I9n8dOgSI[/video] I just received this Diving Sparrow Windriver model. THe Windriver is a recurve style blade and this particular one has a Scandi grind. 10 1/2" oal, 5 1/2" blade. 1095 carbon steel. Coyote tan Micarta slabs w/ red liners. I thouroughly LOVE this knife. Hope you enjoy the video.
You work too fast:lmao:. Mr Diving Sparrow is a member on here and does make very nice knives and canoe paddles.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I must disagree , a £5 Mora is not going to last aslong as a decent full tang 3-4mm thick Bushcraft knife, they break and that's a fact.
Nothing wrong with them they take a good edge and can perform most tasks really well but they chip easyer when carving hardwoods due to the shallow grind and I have seen a few break. I would not trust one on a weeks trip ( probably take 2 or 3).

What on earth do you use a knife for if you doubt a Mora may let you down on a weeks trip?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a couple of Moras for carving softwood mainly but I agree with Rob.
Although I like them for carving I wouldn't want to depend on their strength
if I was to try building a shelter or dig roots out of the ground for cordage.
I would rather have a more substantial tool like my WS Mears , Shing bushy ,
or my Rob Evans blade. The price of these tools is largely irrelevant. It is the perceived
value which is important to me as a buyer. In the end the knife is only as good as it
makes me feel to own and use it.
Simon

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I wouldn't want to depend on their strength
if I was to try building a shelter or dig roots out of the ground for cordage..."

No doubt there are sturdier knives to have. But you really don't need a knife to build a 'simple' shelter or dig up roots (in the uk anyway). :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - you must be hard on knives - I have relied on a cheap Mora for a months expeditioning in the Cedarberg Wilderness area in S Africa, canoeing the Orange river, on exped in Ghana, in the wilds of Thailand and in Eastern Europe - they never let me down in the slightest!
Mind you I took Moras as I would not have been too sad if they got lost and gave a couple away at the end of expeds.
At home I prefer to use some "classier" knives ranging from a Dave Budd to a Damascus blade - all rehandled and /or leathered by myself:)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You could easily carve a digging stick for the roots and use a hatchet for the shelter :)

plastic-ninja said:
I wouldn't want to depend on their strength if I was to try building a shelter or dig roots out of the ground for cordage.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
I was of the 'meh - it's a knife - so what' persuasion until I started getting older and wanted to sit and do things around a campfire rather than rack up as many miles as possible in a day out.
I went for the Mora to begin with, but the more I got into Bushcraft, as opposed to wild camping, the more I began to appreciate a lot of stuff my grandfather and father had known and done.
My grandfather was a farmer, my Dad a butcher, (and damn could he sharpen a knife). So on this site, I bought a third hand Shing Bushcrafter for an amount of money which would once have seemed to me absurd, but which I now know to have been a knock-down bargain.
And the thing has been in my hand pretty much every day since. (The knife, that is). The improvement on the good old Mora is substantial - the damn thing rarely needs sharpened even after some serious whittling and batoning, and when it does, I just run it along the inside of my belt a few times. (Not while I'm wearing it).
Also, it seems made to fit my hand, and it makes me feel good just to look at it, as all beautiful things do. So it cost the same as ten Moras - it was worth it.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Knife buying is addictive

I cant afford a big collection anymore, So I regularly sell knives on so I can try new ones. I guess some of us (me deffinatly) are like magpies when it comes to knives,

Shiney shiney errm must buy that,
Opps just pressed paynow .
Errm what do I say to the missus now?
Errm nothing I will just sell another one to help cover the cost and she will never know;)
Errm which one do I sell ? I like all of them!!!!?!!

Last edited:
02052012543.jpg

My knife. Nice and cheap!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have never had a mora fail on me and I cannot recommend them highly enough but that hasn't stopped me from spending a bonkers sum of money on custom knives.

It's a basic human desire to improve ones situation and trappings. I'm sure many people here have other interests as well as bushcraft. I collect tiny painted miniatures and while I can get away here with spending a thousand pounds on a tent, if I tell my mini painting friends I did it, they rip me a new one.

As long as mouths get food and bills are paid I can't think of any reason not to buy high-end knives.

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Spot on, spot on. Yesterday I spent 130 quid on a piece of true quality called "bushtool" from a maker called "R J Evans". Haven't touched it nor seen it but in a picture - but knew straight away it was about to change its user/owner. Thus it did. It sure is a strange thing and a strange string vibrating when you feel the need to get your hands on something someone sharing your look on quality and feel has made and given something of a "soul" - which, incidently, I think the modern Moras lack. I rely on my knife and it on me - without this bond you will misplace it, neglect it, forget it AND miss it when in need for it. Metaphysical enough?

Spot on mate.
I like quality and I don't mind spending money on it. If I didn't have the money then I could'nt spend it.
Quality is usually at a price but you don't really need it, I make knives to a reasonably high standard and I think my prices are fair, (if Mr.Mears ever phones me to do a run of woodlore knives he can stick £250 on top of my price because his name sells kit like hot cakes!).

Mar 14, 2012
uk
youve offended me :joke: i love mora and i am half swedish so i should and i have both the hunter 711 and the clipper in carbon steel and they do a great job but my weak point is handmade knives i guess and as i cant afford one (i would like a jacklore) so i try to make them... but mainly fail oh well i hope ill get there in the end!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE