Expensive Knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I was just wondering why one would spend so much money on a knife, for example, the Woodlore, or a Fallkniven Idun. I'm wondering why something like a Woodlore is better, than lets, say, a Helle Sigmund.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Because they want one. No other reason is needed.

Some people buy beer from a shop. I don't understand why they would pay so much for something that is so easy to make - laziness perhaps? Some people even buy vegetables rather than bending their back and growing some.

Funny old world isn't it?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's like cars.

I could go out and buy a car tomorrow for say £500 that will get me everywhere i want to go, but still some folks spend hundreds of thousands more.

For me, i commissioned a knife because i wanted to be involved in the design and have something a bit special.
Being an engineer i also appreciate the work that goes into hand creating a knife and i wanted to do my little bit to ensure that we keep these skills alive in the UK rather than buying knives mass produced in other countries.

I think i paid around £600 for my knife and there is absolutely no doubt i could buy a knife for a LOT less that would do the same jobs, for me it's just not the same.
When i use my custom knife it's still a tool and still gets used and abused, but using it feels more of a special event.

I have a cheap Mora with a plastic handle, but it's not exactly fun to use and it needs constant sharpening.

It's difficult to describe unless you try it.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
i asked a similar question on another thread, it seems this topic has been covered in many other threads. However it also seems that the cost of like materials would possibly be similar so one would be paying for development, style and maybe the way it's been produced i.e handmade or off a production line. Also its worth considering the total amount available, lots of mora's v's not many woodlore's etc. Given the choice, i'd take a woodlore because ray uses one :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Supply and demand. Ray could probably charge £1,000 for those knives and the waiting list would probably go up. Personally, I wouldn't spend that sort of money unless it was a knife that he'd used himself on telly (actually, even then I wouldn't :D)

It seems that a quality bushcraft knife from a maker on here costs about £150. Some are more (Damascus steel, fancy burls etc.) some are less (the TK knives for example - don't know why they aren't more). There's a lot of work in making a knife - I've spent hours knocking out something crap

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's like cars.

I could go out and buy a car tomorrow for say £500 that will get me everywhere i want to go, but still some folks spend hundreds of thousands more

Not a perfect analogue. A £100,000 Aston Martin looks better, has better materials, is faster etc. than a £500 Mondeo. Yes, they still get you from A to B but in a very different way. The Woodlore knives don't do anything more than a cheaper clone - you're paying for the brand

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
There's also the element of hand-made exclusivity about top end knives which appeals. Something that has been belted out by a machine just doesn't 'feel' as special, though a degree of that 'specialness' comes from the hefty price tag and the lengthy wait. A Frost's Mora will certainly do a similar job as something like the Woodlore but, as Paul Kirtley pointed out, you might not be able to rely on the Mora in the way you could perhaps a Woodlore.

I'm aware of using the conditional in a lot of this as most of it is to do with personal choice and what you want to afford. I am lucky enough to enjoy using one of Ben Orford's knives. I have tried out other very beautiful blades as well, some significantly more expensive than his, but I always come back to it. Is it possible to develop a relationship with an inanimate tool - and I'm talking more about the knife here, rather than myself...?

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have a few relatively, expensive knifes. When I got started I did not know who made the " the best knives" so I went with the big name brands. This was probably a expensive mistake as I would have been better waiting and trying various makes at bushcraft meets to find one that suit me. I did buy a expensive hand made knife only to find the edge folded over the first time it was used, this was replaced but goes to show that expensive price tag does not guarantee good quality. I also bought a woodlore knife and I think this is a very good blade but the handle is a bit slim for my big hand. So I don't think you have to spend big money, the best knife in the world is the one you have when you need it. I have also learned not to be so precious about knives, there just another tool, like the lawn mower sitting unloved at the back of your shed.

Chris...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not a perfect analogue. A £100,000 Aston Martin looks better, has better materials, is faster etc. than a £500 Mondeo. Yes, they still get you from A to B but in a very different way. The Woodlore knives don't do anything more than a cheaper clone - you're paying for the brand

One could argue that a 17th century refectory table doesn't help you eat your dinner any better than an Ikea MDF monstsrosity. The difference is more than just brand - its quality of materials, craftsmanship and "soul" to some extent

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
One could argue that a 17th century refectory table doesn't help you eat your dinner any better than an Ikea MDF monstsrosity. The difference is more than just brand - its quality of materials, craftsmanship and "soul" to some extent

I think we're arguing the same point! :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think so too - my point was only there is a little more to it than "branding" - materials, fit and finish, craftsmanship etc.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I think so too - my point was only there is a little more to it than "branding" - materials, fit and finish, craftsmanship etc.

And 'pulling power' :eek:... You're far more likely to pull a burd (of shallow values) from cruising about in a Maserati than a Mondeo. Not sure the same is true of knives though....errrrrrr, probably not....Hmmmmm

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK

I didn't write it very clearly. You can buy a knife for £150 with excellent materials, craftsmanship etc. but over that, brand comes into play. Mondeo = Mora but as I said, it's not a perfect analogue

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I am fortunate enough to own a few high end production and custom knives, some of which i use, some not.
For me personally it is about pride of ownership, particularly if i have had a hand in the design and input with the maker.
It is very true that a £10 Mora will take a deer from field to larder just as quickly and efficiently as my Falkie NL5 Idun or Guy Stainthorp Scandinavian, but it is pure joy and pleasure to use a handmade knife, a personal tool. I drive a '54 plate Subaru, but i would dearly love to own a top of the range Land Cruiser or Disco.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Well my take on this is plainly it's what you like and can afford at the time! I have several mora knives and love them I use a 3" classis as a neck knife hung round my neck with a leather thong. However on my belt is my Ben Orford woodsman 4mm stock with dark brown sheath and antler handled fire steel. I was lucky enough to meet Ben and Lois as I was working 5 miles away from their house and arranged to pop by. They couldn't have been more helpful with advise and let me try everything they had "lying" around and when I settled on the one I wanted I paid the man, got a tour of the work shop and believe me I was jealous!
So again you get what you pay for and then some when you buy from and deal with custom people so much so I have ordered some crook knives and a belt from Ben and Lois also and doubt I will ever have to look elsewhere. I am one happy customer!!!!!!
yqanadu8.jpg
2ebysety.jpg

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

Absolutely no idea about woodlore knives as i've never seen one in the flesh.
But you stress "paying for the brand" like that's a bad thing, i personally don't see it that way.

In a brand you get a known quantity of fit, finish and quality.
If you come to sell it unless you pay wayyyyyyyyyyyy over the odds you get a vast majority of your money back, and being a known brand it's always going to be something people want.

As i say though i don't know woodlore knives so for my knives in particular, using your criteria i personally believe that my most expensive knives have:

Looks better - Subjective but for my knife i think it looks as good as a knife can.

Better materials - RWL34 steel, the bolsters are nickel silver with Desert Ironwood scales, you don't get that for £50

Faster - Over say a weekend of use it does require a LOT less sharpening and attention than my Mora and cuts better, so logically if you spend less time sharpening it must be faster.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i wouldn't buy an expensive knife myself simply because i can't afford one as i live on a very small budget, i can understand why people do though its their choice, the trouble with buying high-end/priced goods (of anything) when on a tight budget is that i have found i am almost scared to use the item and use it delicately for fear of damaging it expecting it to last forever whereas with a budget item i knock it about without thought as its more easily replaced should it be damaged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE