Expensive Knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
JP 25th:

batonningjp.jpg

Yes. Number 126!, now owned by me,...

I have sharpened the chips out.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Yeah, he did mention that in the sales thread, so I did expect it to be in a bit of a state, they do look like tough spuds,..

It still gets some light batoning , I did chop some carrots once too, but I was really careful.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yes. Number 126!, now owned by me,...

I have sharpened the chips out.

ooohhhh!!!!! you gonna bring it along in november, it's a while since i've had a fondle of that particular JP, and i've always really fancied really hammering one through something especially gnarly

kisses

stuart

entherder

Aug 11, 2011
Central Illinois
[video=youtube;F2I9n8dOgSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=F2I9n8dOgSI[/video] I just received this Diving Sparrow Windriver model. THe Windriver is a recurve style blade and this particular one has a Scandi grind. 10 1/2" oal, 5 1/2" blade. 1095 carbon steel. Coyote tan Micarta slabs w/ red liners. I thouroughly LOVE this knife. Hope you enjoy the video.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ooohhhh!!!!! you gonna bring it along in november, it's a while since i've had a fondle of that particular JP, and i've always really fancied really hammering one through something especially gnarly

kisses

stuart

I will let you touch the safe end

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
“Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
are awake through years with transferred touch, and go on glowing
for long years.

And for this reason, some old things are lovely
warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.” ― D.H. Lawrence

/\ What he said!

rg598

Native
As much as we like to talk about using what nature provides and not being wasteful or dependent on tools, at the end of the day, this is a hobby for people, and just like any hobby, gear has a way of overtaking the hobby itself. Is there any need for any of that stuff? No! However, if people like it (whether because it looks better or was featured on TV), they will pay more for it. As long as there are people willing to pay the price, there will be others willing to charge it. Sometimes the higher cost is a result of higher quality, other times it is just the product of clever marketing and hype. Sometimes the added quality matters, other times it does not. None of that however matters, because at the end of the day people buy things just because they want to, in this hobby, and in all others.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Spot on mate.
I like quality and I don't mind spending money on it. If I didn't have the money then I could'nt spend it.
Quality is usually at a price but you don't really need it, I make knives to a reasonably high standard and I think my prices are fair, (if Mr.Mears ever phones me to do a run of woodlore knives he can stick £250 on top of my price because his name sells kit like hot cakes!).

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
The folk who buy expensive knives do it simply because they like sharp stuff I think and why not. Personally I use a 5 pound Mora,
If properly taken care of my 5 pound knife will do exactly the same job as a well maintained 500 pound knife and will probably outlast me but in not a knife fan, I just use it for cutting stuff other than than its just a piece of metal with some wood driven on the end.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I must disagree , a £5 Mora is not going to last aslong as a decent full tang 3-4mm thick Bushcraft knife, they break and that's a fact.
Nothing wrong with them they take a good edge and can perform most tasks really well but they chip easyer when carving hardwoods due to the shallow grind and I have seen a few break. I would not trust one on a weeks trip ( probably take 2 or 3).
I don't want to offend the Mora fans, sorry if I have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE