Expensive Knives.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I just googled the Woodlore. I can see paying extra for some knives; but $450 for a STEAK KNIFE!? For less than that (Far, Far less than that) I can get a German made Puma White Hunter.

Best description of that knife I've ever seen! Rofl!

Im just glad the bushcraft community hasn't discovered busse knives yet.

Would I spend £400 on a woodlore? No. Would I get a clone? Maybe.
But oddly I would spend £300 on a busse knife.

Cheers

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Having looked at their website at the two models on offer, I am wondering, "Why?"

Why spend £450 on the woodlore? It's ultimately nothing special. You could easily get a knife of the same quality for less than half the price.

There's a good few reasons why I'd prefer a busse, most if it down to personal preference.

Andy

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Why spend £450 on the woodlore? It's ultimately nothing special. You could easily get a knife of the same quality for less than half the price.

Agreed, but it wouldn't have Woodlore, Alan Wood and Ray Mears etched on the blade.This debate will go on for ever, there is something special about this knife IMO and there is a massive demand and long waiting period, because of the Ray Mears connection, like it or not this has been the case for a good while, the 2nd hand/resale value for these has dropped a bit since the ban on selling knives on The Bay but the bubble still hasn't burst, people want this knife for whatever reason, pride of ownership, collection, investment piece whatever, the new price for the Woodlore is now £485 BTW

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have 2 woodlore knives and to be honest I love them and will not be parting with either. Back to Busse knives I have had 6 and they are horrible to use IMO, a compleat waste of money, handle and balance are all wrong, better off with a scrapyard knife from the same company.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Yikes! The power of celebrity endorsement eh!

Most probably, and also for the fact that the price for the SWC 30th anniversary knife with the micarta slabs is £450, so they had to up the price of the actual Woodlore so it retains the title of their most expensive and exclusive blade.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Yikes! The power of celebrity endorsement eh!

i know a girl who has much nicer hair than Cheryl Cole

can sing better than Cheryl Cole

can act better than Cheryl Cole

Cook better

basically do anything better

would she get £500,000 to appear in a shampoo advertisement ,....probably not.

i,m not sure i know what i,m on about now,..i kinda got lost in the analogy a bit,....haha

so there!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE

Cook better

i,m not sure i know what i,m on about now,..i kinda got lost in the analogy a bit,....haha

so there!

Is she single?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding

Cook better

so there!
Wish tha wunt gab on baht r'lass ont forum :D
Oh aye an she's shyte ot wi bow drill :cool:
Is she single?

Nah, she's chiselled for life :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Agreed, but it wouldn't have Woodlore, Alan Wood and Ray Mears etched on the blade.

Thats what it boils down to.

I have 2 woodlore knives and to be honest I love them and will not be parting with either. Back to Busse knives I have had 6 and they are horrible to use IMO, a compleat waste of money, handle and balance are all wrong, better off with a scrapyard knife from the same company.

And yet they still have a big following. Some people would say the same of the woodlore I'm sure.

As I said I like them, it's just my opinion. I don't dislike the woodlore. But having never used one I can't pass a fair comment. But if I had that kind of cash to waste on a knife I know what I'd get.

But for now I'll stick with what I've got.
Andy

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Thats what it boils down to. But for now I'll stick with what I've got.

You are missing the point a bit, the name and provenance stamped on the blade isn't what it's all about.

Broadly speaking, a £1,000 shotgun will shoot clays and game just as effectively as a bespoke Purdey or Holland & Holland (in the right hands) but not everyone can afford to own these much sort after and revered items, but there is nothing wrong with admiring them, it's a bit like that with the Woodlore knife which sometimes gets a bit of bad press because of the cost, usually by people who would really love to own one, but as you have said yourself if you are happy with your own kit, then everyone's a winner :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
You are missing the point a bit, the name and provenance stamped on the blade isn't what it's all about.

Broadly speaking, a £1,000 shotgun will shoot clays and game just as effectively as a bespoke Purdey or Holland & Holland (in the right hands) but not everyone can afford to own these much sort after and revered items, but there is nothing wrong with admiring them, it's a bit like that with the Woodlore knife which sometimes gets a bit of bad press because of the cost, usually by people who would really love to own one, but as you have said yourself if you are happy with your own kit, then everyone's a winner :)

Sorry I edited a little too much from my quote. I was agreeing with what had been said.

But broadly speaking a biakal is ultimately a very different beast from a holland & holland, yes it would do the same job, but with a bespoke shotgun you are paying for ultimate quality, a truly top of the line bit of kit. Ie absolutely the best. And yes obviously you pay for the name/ quality/ investment etc.

Could you say the same of the woodlore vs a copy made by one of the pros over on britishblades? Is the copy ultimately that different when you factor in the HT, scales, grind, fit and finish?

Would it be any better? No of course not.

The old mora versus woodlore argument has some merit, they do the same job and I dare say I would be hard pressed to find something I could do with one I could not do with the other.

How about expensive folding knives? The sebenza for example?
Andy

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
There comes a point in pretty much everything (material possession wise) where you pay more than is absolutely NEEDED.

I have a £2000 mountain bike that i recon is pretty good, my mates cost him £6000.
He is faster than me up hill granted, but that's only because he is fitter than me, when we swap bikes he's still faster than me even on my bike.

I have a supercharged MX5 putting out around 240bhp, it's worth at best £5000.
At a recent track event i was lapping my mate in his £100k M5 roughly every 6 laps.

Said mate lives in a 4 bedroomed house, yet there is only him and his Mrs.
A 1 bedroomed house would do.

So there comes a point in most things in life where more money doesn't necessarily buy you more performance.
But then as humans we are emotional animals.
Want is not the same as need.

If most members here came into a vast amount of money i'd bet my underpants many would commission a knife over £500, even those shouting the loudest.

Those that didn't would buy something else that wasn't NEEDED like a fully restored Land Rover instead of a £500 Pajero, or a Haglöfs coat when a £15 pull over would still keep you warm.

I have a mate that has a brand new car every 3 years yet when you speak to him he can't afford to eat properly and has zero savings.

End of the day folks do what they want.
A custom knife often has a far higher resale value compared to many production knives, some even go up in value.
So although that initial layout is a lot for a knife if you buy it for £250 and sell it 2 years later for say £200 then £50 for 2 years use out of a quality knife isn't too bad.

That's pretty much the only logical reasoning, anything else will simply be an emotional decision and we ALL make those.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Broadly speaking, a £1,000 shotgun will shoot clays and game just as effectively as a bespoke Purdey or Holland & Holland (in the right hands) but not everyone can afford to own these much sort after and revered items, but there is nothing wrong with admiring them....

And likewise an ordinary production shotgun at a more realistic price than that high priced (1000 pounds) one that you seem to think of as cheap will shoot just as well. A Remington or even a Browning is only about $500-$600 (or 750-900 pounds)

That said, as you point out farther into your post, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the higher quality, or as Sandbender points out the perceived status, that comes with the more expensive ones (guns or knives) as long as you can actually afford it.

There's something nobady has mentioned yet (guns or knives) about owning and using one that is handed down as a familt heirloom. To me that's even more desired than the more expensive ones; in my case it's a particular shotgun my grandfather once owned and handed down to my father who in turn handed it down to me. We all spent many hours hunting quail, rabbit, and squirrel with it. I'm retireing it now but intend to hand it down to my grandson.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....A custom knife often has a far higher resale value compared to many production knives, some even go up in value.
So although that initial layout is a lot for a knife if you buy it for £250 and sell it 2 years later for say £200 then £50 for 2 years use out of a quality knife isn't too bad....

Maybe. But you can also customize a knife (or anything else) to the point where it's essentially "your" knife and doesn't really suit anybody else. An example would be having the blade etched with your name or initials or maybe something personal onto the handle.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Look at the knifework of mors kochanski, pretty unbelievable knife skills, not only is it a Mora he uses but the cheapest Mora in there range.

If you look at the real mastercraftsmen(somoene who spends years perfecting a single skill) most of them make there own tools from scrap.

Knife collecting is a hobby in itself though.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Why go to Macdonald's to fill your stomach if you can stretch to a nicer meal at a decent place. If you're really feeling flash go to Gordon's place to treat yourself and you'll remember it for years to come.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
There comes a point in pretty much everything (material possession wise) where you pay more than is absolutely NEEDED.

I have a £2000 mountain bike that i recon is pretty good, my mates cost him £6000.
He is faster than me up hill granted, but that's only because he is fitter than me, when we swap bikes he's still faster than me even on my bike.

I have a supercharged MX5 putting out around 240bhp, it's worth at best £5000.
At a recent track event i was lapping my mate in his £100k M5 roughly every 6 laps.

Said mate lives in a 4 bedroomed house, yet there is only him and his Mrs.
A 1 bedroomed house would do.

So there comes a point in most things in life where more money doesn't necessarily buy you more performance.
But then as humans we are emotional animals.
Want is not the same as need.

If most members here came into a vast amount of money i'd bet my underpants many would commission a knife over £500, even those shouting the loudest.

Those that didn't would buy something else that wasn't NEEDED like a fully restored Land Rover instead of a £500 Pajero, or a Haglöfs coat when a £15 pull over would still keep you warm.

I have a mate that has a brand new car every 3 years yet when you speak to him he can't afford to eat properly and has zero savings.

End of the day folks do what they want.
A custom knife often has a far higher resale value compared to many production knives, some even go up in value.
So although that initial layout is a lot for a knife if you buy it for £250 and sell it 2 years later for say £200 then £50 for 2 years use out of a quality knife isn't too bad.

That's pretty much the only logical reasoning, anything else will simply be an emotional decision and we ALL make those.

A really good post.

better than mine!,..ha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE