Eric's leatherworking course...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Can I just mention at this point ladies and gents, that this course is about teaching skills - not mass manufacturing. I mention this only because on a recent course I taught, people were bringing 10 or 12 knives and expecting to make sheaths for all of them - using my leather (which would have left very little for everyone else to use). No, I taught them how to make a sheath, axe cover, possibles pouch etc, which they all successfully learned and then told them to go away and buy their own leather and put the new found skills to use. Some were also surprised that they were expected to pay for the leather they used, although it clearly stated that fact when they enrolled on the course.
Am I starting to sound nit-picky? Hope not. I just don't want confusion or disappointment through misunderstanding what the course is about.

Biker

Can I just mention at this point ladies and gents, that this course is about teaching skills - not mass manufacturing. I mention this only because on a recent course I taught, people were bringing 10 or 12 knives and expecting to make sheaths for all of them - using my leather (which would have left very little for everyone else to use). No, I taught them how to make a sheath, axe cover, possibles pouch etc, which they all successfully learned and then told them to go away and buy their own leather and put the new found skills to use. Some were also surprised that they were expected to pay for the leather they used, although it clearly stated that fact when they enrolled on the course.
Am I starting to sound nit-picky? Hope not. I just don't want confusion or disappointment through misunderstanding what the course is about.

It's not nit-picking Eric, it's called clarification. I'll be bringing along some leather as well though, I've got it already so it seems dumb not to use it. As for expecting to make tons of stuff, I'll be happy to walk away with a newly jacketed Kindle, anything else of top of that will be a bonearse. Looking forward to it a lot. Thanks in advance for this Eric.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I recently run a days leather working course. I'm nowhere near as skilled as Eric. The chaps seemed surprised that I objected to them using nearly a complete side of leather which cost more than I was charging for the experience day.

This will be a great course and a absolute bargain.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think the problem (apart from people being spoiled and life handed to us on a plate) is that folk have no idea of the costs involved in producing leather and so to buy. Maybe 10-15 minutes explaining this at the beginning of a course would be an idea?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
The 3 day course is just that. 3 days of intensive tuition, so not during the pre-moot course time. However, come and find me down at Scot's Corner afterwards and we can maybe sort out a half day special because I'm sure there'll be others who just want to dip their toes in the water too before taking it further.

Eric, that would be truely wonderful and my wife will be overjoyed. Can you reuse used leather for the workshops? A friend and I have been skinning wild leather sofas when they appear on the roadside.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Remember then, to bring your knives, axes and measure your arrows so we can get the balance of the quiver right.

Yes they are already in the 'Moot' pile in my junk room.

I fully understand that we need to pay for materials, as we are paying for Eric's time not for all of his leather. I will bring along a box full of scraps that I have bought of the last couple of years.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Yes, by all means bring along any leather you have gathered for your own use, or to share/sell to others or whatever.
Tim, sofa road-kill material is great. There's so much you can do with it. Bring it along by all means. Don't worry about tools though. Your wife can play around with my tools then decide which will be most useful for what she fancies getting into. I'll let everyone know where they can buy their own tools, or what substitutes are available.
Going by the number of people doing the course this year, I'm going to have to go and spend a couple hundred more quid on more leather - just to make sure we have enough to go round.
I'm really looking forward to this year's moot, with the Victorian Safari at Naughty Corner, and the Game of Thrones at Scot's Corner, it's going to be fantastic. So if you never met me before, and see me prancing round in my safari jacket and pith helmet, or in my saxon kirtle, don't worry, I'm not the local nutter on the loose.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yes, by all means bring along any leather you have gathered for your own use, or to share/sell to others or whatever.
Tim, sofa road-kill material is great. There's so much you can do with it. Bring it along by all means. Don't worry about tools though. Your wife can play around with my tools then decide which will be most useful for what she fancies getting into. I'll let everyone know where they can buy their own tools, or what substitutes are available.
Going by the number of people doing the course this year, I'm going to have to go and spend a couple hundred more quid on more leather - just to make sure we have enough to go round.
I'm really looking forward to this year's moot, with the Victorian Safari at Naughty Corner, and the Game of Thrones at Scot's Corner, it's going to be fantastic. So if you never met me before, and see me prancing round in my safari jacket and pith helmet, or in my saxon kirtle, don't worry, I'm not the local nutter on the loose.

I've been to both corners. I know the sort...

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
OK. I need numbers. Tony, Shelly, if you are reading this, can you get some numbers to me please. I have tons to do yet and I need to know how many bodies are doing this course.
Mods, if you are in comms with the boss, can you pass this along please.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE