Eric's leatherworking course...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Oh, it's going to be a good one this year. Same place as last year, we'll pinch three tables and some benches from the classroom and set up a nice outdoor classroom down at Scot's corner. I've got a new 4x4 tarp to work under too, and as always, the fire will be lit and the kettle ever on the simmer. I shall bring sufficient leather for everyone to make a few projects - the priority being to teach everyone all the different tricks, tips and techniques so you can all go and make stuff independantly afterwards.
Mad Dave said he was also doing this one, so almost a full house by the looks of it.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Would it help if we listed what we'd like to be able to make by the end of the course? My reason for attending is to learn how to make masks for axes and billhooks.
Do we need to bring tools or rivets etc?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Would it help if we listed what we'd like to be able to make by the end of the course? My reason for attending is to learn how to make masks for axes and billhooks.
Do we need to bring tools or rivets etc?

If you have tools that you are comfortable using, then bring them. After all, it's what you'll be using when you get home (although mine will be there also to play with). Same goes for any hardware, rivets, D rings etc. I'll have a load of hardware too so if you don't have stuff like that, no problem. Just trying to save you material costs if you already have your own.
It would be handy to have an idea of what you'd all like to make. That way I can ensure I have sufficient materials and of the correct type.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'll bring a few axes and hooks that I want sheathed. I'd also like to add some leather piping to my safari suit too! Can you suggest some tools that are essential for a begginer?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'll bring a few axes and hooks that I want sheathed. I'd also like to add some leather piping to my safari suit too! Can you suggest some tools that are essential for a begginer?

I could make some suggestions, but why not wait and see what you feel comfortable with among my tools, then you'll know what they are called, and I'll let you know where you can get them. We may even be able to DIY some of the smaller tools ourselves.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Oh yea, and if any of you want sheaths, covers or the like, for your sharps, please make sure to bring them. I have had people in the past say they want to make a cover for a kent pattern axe, but didn't bring the axe. Duh!

Same goes for Kindles, iPads and smartphones. If you want to make a cover for it, bring it - even though you won't get WiFi on site.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Same goes for Kindles, iPads and smartphones. If you want to make a cover for it, bring it - even though you won't get WiFi on site.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness you have got to be kidding, no Bushcraft WiFi on site, how are people going to survive?! Nobody will be able to get a Dominos web discount on their stuffed crust Mighty Meaty delivery!

Don't worry, the NC will have full satellite uplink communications at only £6/min, oh and free pirate radio! :pirate:

I gather there will also be live music, just hand them a beer and they start playing, simples!

Oops, sorry , gotta go, I'm getting dragged out of the thread! :theyareon

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have been thinking about this for days & have just decided to do it, so have just bought the course. I want to learn making sheaths, Axe masks & archery quivers.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Any chance of a 1/2 or day taster leather workshop? The wife is really interested in having a go

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Any chance of a 1/2 or day taster leather workshop? The wife is really interested in having a go

The 3 day course is just that. 3 days of intensive tuition, so not during the pre-moot course time. However, come and find me down at Scot's Corner afterwards and we can maybe sort out a half day special because I'm sure there'll be others who just want to dip their toes in the water too before taking it further.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE