End Of Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....What remains is the land and sometimes the people.

Anyone that understands history knows that everything else is transitory.

Why worry about it...
meditate.gif
...?

Actually the land is in constant flux. The Earth looks nothing like it did when there was a single supercontinent. Even beyond that the moon is getting farther away from the Earth by a rate of about two feet per year and will eventually sling out of it's orbit; imagine the climate change then.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
It's dead easy to prep for short term problems of up to three months. I'm sure we have got enough tins of stuff we don't know why we bought and cereals the kids decided they did not like after all to keep us going for a few weeks and It would only take me getting off my backside and buying a few kilos of rice and stuff to make it last three or months for not much money at all. The problems arise when those few months extend past six months or so. Very few people without arable land are going to do very well without someone bringing aid to the door. My Mrs would never stand for it but I would be tempted to switch my central heating from gas to paraffin and go on a mini prepping rampage. We grow some stuff as it is ie the usual beans and tomatoes so could easily extend that if needed. I think if some genuine warning came that things were going to change radically we could prepare for a mid term problem.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's dead easy to prep for short term problems of up to three months. I'm sure we have got enough tins of stuff we don't know why we bought and cereals the kids decided they did not like after all to keep us going for a few weeks and It would only take me getting off my backside and buying a few kilos of rice and stuff to make it last three or months for not much money at all. The problems arise when those few months extend past six months or so. Very few people without arable land are going to do very well without someone bringing aid to the door. My Mrs would never stand for it but I would be tempted to switch my central heating from gas to paraffin and go on a mini prepping rampage. We grow some stuff as it is ie the usual beans and tomatoes so could easily extend that if needed. I think if some genuine warning came that things were going to change radically we could prepare for a mid term problem.

Yes all us well armed folk need you preppers. Who else's food are we going to take once the shops run dry!:eek:*

*Please note this is said in jest, but food would have to be protected.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
In my opinion, food preps are only worthwhile to protect against short term disruptions to the food supply. People eat an awful lot of food, and trying to prep enough calories for the long term is going to be very expensive, wasteful and impractical. Personally, I don't bother trying and only keep enough to last about 6 weeks.

Developing land and skills to grow your own food is a good strategy. But the work is hard and time consuming, beds are difficult to protect, and land is expensive. I choose instead to rely on my skillset, which is not agricultural. I believe it will still have currency given anything short of Stage 5 collapse. (See Orlov's The 5 Stages of Collapse)

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
The end of Britain Ok struggling to find the negatives :confused:

having to work to feed my own family
Supporting my own infrastructure
Money becomes redundant ,trade way of life is revived
People who Do survive people who sit and say they do don't survive

Are you honestly telling me none of you guys wished they were born several hundred years earlier ?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The end of Britain Ok struggling to find the negatives :confused:

having to work to feed my own family
Supporting my own infrastructure
Money becomes redundant ,trade way of life is revived
People who Do survive people who sit and say they do don't survive

Are you honestly telling me none of you guys wished they were born several hundred years earlier ?

Oh yes, I am delighted! Not only myself but several members of my family are only alive thanks to modern medicine, for starters. Add on modern dentistry, travel, information, communications, longer life expectancy, and the simple fact we live like kings compared to 90% of the population a couple of hundred years ago.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not this well armed prepper's food thats for sure :)

No Rik, having done my homework I know a full frontal assault of your property will only get me blowed away as they say in sunny climes. I think however that the offer of a joint raiding partnership/defence network would be extremely profitable, you up for that? Though limping and rusty, CQB with a pistol is my game and long range with a rifle is a pleasure.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Having read through that whole article it reads like a tabloid article with a horror story leading into a snake doctor remedy.

Many points are well made and there is a s##t storm on the way for us as a country but that article is awful.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Oh yes, I am delighted! Not only myself but several members of my family are only alive thanks to modern medicine, for starters. Add on modern dentistry, travel, information, communications, longer life expectancy, and the simple fact we live like kings compared to 90% of the population a couple of hundred years ago.

Putting aside your obvious dislike to my personal opinions can you honestly say that your life would not be better without the constrictions that our money restricted life has today although I agree we do have superior medical resources but as for the longer life bit it's not how long but how you live it that matters surely

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes all us well armed folk need you preppers. Who else's food are we going to take once the shops run dry!:eek:*

*Please note this is said in jest, but food would have to be protected.

As it stands I am not a prepper. The Mrs would not let me be one even if I wanted to be one. I occasionally get half arsed ideas to get a bit of stuff in but never get around to it. As you say fall foul of the wrong people you could end up worse off than some one who has nothing. I do have a mean looking couple of machete's and an air pistol but I would soon start gibbering if a bloke shoved a shotgun in my face. I would of course offer him the wife first of course as it is her fault I have not got a FAC.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Are you honestly telling me none of you guys wished they were born several hundred years earlier ?.."

"...that your life would not be better without the constrictions that our money restricted life has today although I agree we do have superior medical resources but as for the longer life bit it's not how long but how you live it that matters surely..."

Life was pretty grim for most a few hundred years back, in Europe anyway, money, as today was a relevant then as it is today. How old are you? In my experience people who talk about 'quality of life' being more important than how long one might live are usually under twenty one. When my grand parents and great grandparents were my age they were either already dead or into their last decade. I'll take the healthcare, decent diet, no coal fires and much shorter working week that the past decades have given me and hopefully I'll still be around in twenty years when my lifetime BCUK membership runs out. :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As it stands I am not a prepper. The Mrs would not let me be one even if I wanted to be one. I occasionally get half arsed ideas to get a bit of stuff in but never get around to it. As you say fall foul of the wrong people you could end up worse off than some one who has nothing. I do have a mean looking couple of machete's and an air pistol but I would soon start gibbering if a bloke shoved a shotgun in my face. I would of course offer him the wife first of course as it is her fault I have not got a FAC.
Would it go something like this?
[video=youtube;u3UyGrnv1-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3UyGrnv1-A[/video]
Mate never argue with a sawnoff. You will be a jammy smear. I hope I would never resort to trouble to feed my kith and kin, and hope that co-operation would be the way forward. But I fear that not everyone out there is as nice as me.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Putting aside your obvious dislike to my personal opinions can you honestly say that your life would not be better without the constrictions that our money restricted life has today although I agree we do have superior medical resources but as for the longer life bit it's not how long but how you live it that matters surely

Dislike? Don't take it personally, M:)

I'd rather say it was amusement!

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Life was pretty grim for most a few hundred years back, in Europe anyway, money, as today was a relevant then as it is today. How old are you? In my experience people who talk about 'quality of life' being more important than how long one might live are usually under twenty one. When my grand parents and great grandparents were my age they were either already dead or into their last decade. I'll take the healthcare, decent diet, no coal fires and much shorter working week that the past decades have given me and hopefully I'll still be around in twenty years when my lifetime BCUK membership runs out. :)

Up until a year ago I would be on your side of the fence I'm in my 30s and have spent the most important years of my children's lives chasing money and a presumed happiness that I would find whilst having enough of it but guess what there is never enough and upon losing everything once the initial oh my god reaction passed I'm now happier than I've ever been and it took losing all of my material things to realise that the things that make us rich were running around waiting for me to stop and take the time to notice them
So yes I'm young but would rather of had 20 years like the last six months than 80 years of what many regard as a normal life
And I would of laughed at you if you explained to me how much happiness you can find planting ,growing and harvesting your own food with your family :lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No Rik, having done my homework I know a full frontal assault of your property will only get me blowed away as they say in sunny climes. I think however that the offer of a joint raiding partnership/defence network would be extremely profitable, you up for that? Though limping and rusty, CQB with a pistol is my game and long range with a rifle is a pleasure.

There are three of us in the merry band which = three different locations, three different stocks of supplies and guaranteed mutual assistance. Any more than that and leadership issues crop up so we'll just keep a low profile. I'm now off prepper sites and plod along nicely, those sites attract some very strange people and my patience has run out with them to be honest; way too many wannabee types with borderline/established mental health issues lol. Thanks for the thought though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There are three of us in the merry band which = three different locations, three different stocks of supplies and guaranteed mutual assistance. Any more than that and leadership issues crop up so we'll just keep a low profile. I'm now off prepper sites and plod along nicely, those sites attract some very strange people and my patience has run out with them to be honest; way too many wannabee types with borderline/established mental health issues lol. Thanks for the thought though.

I hope you know I was speaking tongue firmly in cheek. One of the reasons I stepped away from the old "survivalist" days of bushcraft. I look on Bushcraft as being more comfortable in a natural environment. Living with nature not against it or my fellow man. Your right, the prepper movement is just survival nuts seems to be a lot of the old scary folk with a slightly fuzzier name.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

If society crumbled something would fill the vacuum and a good percentage of us would be dead within 6 months

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE