End Of Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Its a clever advert for Money Week, using the standard scare tactics. Solution to the "coming collapse"? Read Money Week!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course there's nothing to worry about -

Trillions of pounds in debt that is rising every day?
Not enough generating capacity to meet power needs?
Not enough food to feed the population?
No real industry left to produce the goods we need or exports to cover our import needs?

No problem - back to watching The housewives of Britain's got X factor

P

Passer

The decimation of our manufacturing base, is something I have long argued against.
Successive governments have gone down the road of UK being a service economy. The banking crisis, hopefully, will put manufacturing back on the agenda.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If I was going to prep, I'd want to do it as a lifestyle choice. Get an FAC, buy some arable land, become very self sufficent, like one or two of the members on here.
Unfortunately, like most, Im not at the point where I cold afford to.

Id be more interested in the social consequences of no work, no money, no benefits, food too expensive etc. [I've always worked. ]

How do you prepare for something like that on a budget?
I have a dehydrator, but I think meat only lasts for about a year?
They have those pre-prepared 12 month ration packs, but they cost thousands. So no good there. :confused:

Nope. I reckon Id be screwed.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
To where? It isn't likely to be any jollier elsewhere.

Wonder if thats why they've plans to double the TA over the next few years? Get the army on the street to quell any civil uprest? It happened in Argentina when their banks collapsed. [Like the guy in the video from citibank says, it was the people who lost their life savings. The central banks pulled their money out of the country, and got away scott free, whilst the country descended into chaos]

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...How do you prepare for something like that on a budget?
I have a dehydrator, but I think meat only lasts for about a year?
They have those pre-prepared 12 month ration packs, but they cost thousands. So no good there. :confused:
..."

In this country (Hungary), Poland and in the countries further east, Romania, The Ukraine, Russia etc. Not being able to get regular access to certain foodstuffs was not uncommon, people didn't starve but they had to provide for themselves. Here as in many of these countries it was not unknown for families to own a 'weekend house' not so much a dacha as you might have seen in Dr. Zhivago more an oversized shed with a small garden plot attached. People would grow additional crops for themselves there, tomatoes, peppers, onions, beans etc. The whole family would be involved and the weekends rest would be given over to working that small plot and processing, pickling and preserving the results. It was also not uncommon for an animal or animals (pigs, geese) to be owned in common by an extended family or small community. Some pensioners might live in the area where the weekend houses were and would water and feed as necessary through the week.

I know many older folks in these parts and most attribute the ownership of these small weekend gardens to be one thing which kept real hardship at bay during the changes in the late eighties early nineties.

Property and land is expensive in the UK so a weekend house is probably not on the cards for most, but if you can take anything from the experiences here it is that trying to 'get by' on your own will be very difficult if not impossible.

Additionally almost all these folks know how to turn a bag of seeds into a future harvest, they have been doing it since they were kids, many of them can butcher a pig, duck or goose with no waste. These are the things you should learn, if you have never grown anything in your life start now, if you have no land use a windowsill or a garage roof, or find a pensioner with an untidy garden and offer to grow some spuds and such for you both, grow something, now, this year, get some experience. :)

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I thought politics was a no no on BCUK?

Nobodies mentioned anything partisan.

I think thats good advice Sandbender.
Where I live, I think Im too high to grow a lot of stuff. Im embarrased to say I've never grown any food.
Crazy really as my grandad was a tenant farmer his entire life. [And his father and his father, and his father etc, etc. All buried in the same graveyard in North yorkshire. All tenant farmers.]
Only took one generation to completely cut our familys attachment from the land.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Crazy really as my grandad was a tenant farmer his entire life. [And his father and his father, and his father etc, etc. All buried in the same graveyard in North yorkshire. All tenant farmers.]..."

In the past ten to fifteen years most young folks have left the country to find work in the cities, now that work is harder to come by or not particularly well paid or fulfilling many are trying to move back to the country, if they have family out there then well and good, however there lots of old folks with land who are unable to get the most from it and there are organisations who are trying to put the two things together, a young family will move to your land, help you with your crops and look after you in your dotage and learn from your knowledge and experience. We have many more small privately owned plots of arable land so this is perhaps easier to do here than in the UK, it is also a system that needs some monitoring so that nobody abuses it. However perhaps something for the future over there.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
And thats all you think it is Andy? Theres nothing to worry about then?

If you take that video on its examples, it gives a perfect example of the solution - ie the Weimar Republic! From a position significantly worse than the UK's today, to dominant world power in a decade.......

Wonder which politico will suggest it!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Of course there's nothing to worry about -

Trillions of pounds in debt that is rising every day?
Not enough generating capacity to meet power needs?
Not enough food to feed the population?
No real industry left to produce the goods we need or exports to cover our import needs?

No problem - back to watching The housewives of Britain's got X factor

This

Plus climate change and Peak oil. It's not just Britain though.

Food security is the big prep nationally, population control wouldn't hurt either.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Unless something excavates an incredible amount of rock Britain is going nowhere fast.

Nations rise and fall.

Deities come and go.

Monarchies do what ever they are supposed to do and then fade away.

Governments don't do whatever they are supposed to do and they fade away as well.

What remains is the land and sometimes the people.

Anyone that understands history knows that everything else is transitory.

Why worry about it...
meditate.gif
...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE