Downsizing.

  • UPDATE - The main upgrade is now finished. The site should now be functioning as normal, I will be making tweaks over the weekend, particularly to look of the site. If you notice something is broken or have any comments please let me know. Many thanks Matt (Lithril)

Wayland

Hárbarðr


I recently posted up a few pictures of a model Gypsy caravan or "Vardo" kit that I was building in the Modellers Corner thread which probably passed most people by.

That kit is pretty well finished and I'm starting to work on the camp scene that will surround it now. I thought that might interest a few more people so I'm giving it it's own thread.

Ignore the cardboard backdrop, that is just the surface of my work bench, the idea is to build a glowing fire pit and it's environs but that will be a later stage.

I'm starting off with the tools and many of those are things we are all familiar with.

The grill was first, made from brass box section and held together with stainless wire. I was going to glue it all together for security but in the end the friction fit was good enough.

Next in line was the frame saw. I got the blade from a coping saw, one of many spares I had and using a bit of heat from a blowtorch, bent the ends to provide stops. The frame is recycled mahogany from a skip and a bit of linen thread for tension. The pieces were just whittled and sanded.

I couldn't resist making a proper job of the axes so I started with an off cut of 01 tool steel. I annealed it so that I could drill the eyes and they were made oval shaped with a diamond needle file.

I then roughly ground the shapes and cleaned them up on a belt sander before re-hardening them with emphasis on the blade edges.

Sharpened up on the whetstone I then polished the edge before tempering them.

The hafts were whittled and sanded again but I confess I didn't even try to wedge them so a dab of epoxy was used to secure them safely.

There's lots more to do before the camp is complete so expect a few updates as time goes on.
 
Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've got the horse brasses, just need to make some martingales for them.

The horse needs some work on it. I'm going for a mechanical "Steampunk" horse as all the models I could find looked naff. I'll probably start on that after the camp.



Currently I've just finished this. ( Sorry for the bad picture, my compact camera really doesn't like close ups at the moment. )

Buttons appear to be useful things. I have a tin full of vintage ones from my Mum’s house. These two are now serving well as a fishing reel. Guess what I’m making now?
 
  • Like
Reactions: bopdude

Broch

Full Member
Jan 18, 2009
2,672
1,880
Mid Wales
Looking great! What scale is it?

I've been making 'stuff' for my granddaughter's doll's house recently and I too have found buttons a useful resource :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wayland

Woody girl

Full Member
Mar 31, 2018
2,451
1,549
61
Exmoor
I realy love this project. Adore the frying pan and bucksaw. Did you make the food or did it come ready made? Excellent project.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As I mentioned in the Modellers Corner, I'm basically addicted to making things, I was always crafty as a kid and went the Airfix / Tamiya route in my teens. Making stuff was a big part of why I got into re-enactment and living history, I saw people living in a hand made world with hundreds of things that needed making.

I make or modify much of my outdoor kit and the Steam Tent Co-op stuff is usually tinkered with as well.

The big problem with making all this stuff is the space it takes up, we are struggling to find places to store it all.



At least model making allows me to feed that addiction without taking up too much more space.
 

Wayland

Hárbarðr


Watching "Game of Thrones" the other evening, I decided what I really needed was a chained library in the Vardo. ( Not that I don't like lending my books out you understand.)

Wire salvaged from old power cables and a bit of chain from a cheap pendant with two holes drilled into the shelf edge using a pin vice. The wire is not glued in case I want to add more books later.
 

Wayland

Hárbarðr


This miners lamp started life as a solid keyring.

I had to drill up through the base to insert a grain of wheat bulb and then drill out the vents, add the handle and the identity plate. It's wired in through the shelf.

( Not the best picture I'm afraid, my camera is off for repair at the moment so this is off my iPad.)



Oh, this is the original FleaBay listing pic so you can see the difference.
 

Woody girl

Full Member
Mar 31, 2018
2,451
1,549
61
Exmoor
Your fishing rod inspired me to try myself. A little too much glue on the reel but that can be sorted. Work in progress but this is so far.20200220_193014.jpg