End Of Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Except Fukushima was more of a "natural" incident, all the others have been due to human error, which can be a problem overcome, Nature cannot be so controlled, only by putting manmade barriers and safety measures in place.

At the end of the day the nuclear fuel is only used to generate heat to make steam in a lot cleaner and/or safer way that coal or gas does for this country.

It would have helped if they didn't have 20 years worth of spent fuel rods stored on top of the reactors. In a known high risk earthquake zone. These reactors are still spewing their guts into the sea, and will continue to do so for a decade at least.

The Japanese had contingency plans for evacuating Tokyo, that's how bad it was. Instead they just constantly raised the limits for safe exposure levels...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Of course its safe, far less deaths from nuclear power than coal fired thats for sure and the new designs are safer still. As for cost you pay up or don't switch on the choice is yours. As for nearer the grave, well yes I am, getting closer all the time but I want nuclear power for my children and their children so they can enjoy the comfortable life I do :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-kno...uch-radiation-is-too-much-a-handy-guide/8124/
Randall Munroe, the mind behind the brilliantly nerdy stick figures in the web comic XKCD, has tried to answer that question. He recently drew an extremely helpful graphic comparing the radiation levels of common activities like getting a medical scan or taking a transcontinental flight with large-scale nuclear accidents like those at Three Mile Island or Chernobyl. Although Munroe, a former NASA roboticist, takes care to mention that he is no radiation expert, he provides an open list of his sources, which includes the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission and MIT’s Nuclear Science and Engineering department.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/files/2011/03/radiation.png

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Of course its safe, far less deaths from nuclear power than coal fired thats for sure......

That's the bottom line. Safety is relative. And nuclear power, while not entirely safe, is safer than most other forms of generating power.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's not that safe & there's the little problem of storing the radioactive waste for the next 250,000 years.............

Until some bright bureaucrat figures out they don't have to store it. Just bury it back where it was mined or launch it towards the sun.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ronnie I don't know where you got your charts but they're wrong. At least one is. US oil production has been growing for the last two years; to the point where we're exporting more oil than we're consuming again.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
most graphs of oil consumption seen nowadays don't take into consideration the third world countries who are entering their own industrial age or about to. Once these guys start using oil as we have done, then that's where the big problems begin.

Touched by nature

bingo!!!!!!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
US oil production has been growing for the last two years; to the point where we're exporting more oil than we're consuming again.

How long do they expect this to last though?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks wingstoo; saves me looking up the links. In answer to your question regarding low long it will last, I really don't know. Not forever obviously. But the point is we aren't at peak oil yet (although I agree that day will come and pass)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Show me some evidence please

Ronnie, take the blinkers off, open your eyes and just read the news mate, the USA has new found reserves this last year or so that has or will make it one of the top oil producers in the world, the evidence is there if you can be bothered to look chap.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland

Okay, granted - I missed this piece of news. Time will bear testament to the longevity of the fracking boom. That old EROEI thing kicks in too, which is at least partly why US petrol prices haven't come down. No one is suggesting that fracking output will push US oil production to the level at which US production peaked in 1970. American peak oil happened a long time ago and this oscillation in the production curve has no bearing on peak oil.

It is widely acknowledged that global Peak Oil will only be recognised in the rear view mirror. The evidence isn't in yet and is at least partly masked by the reduced demand due to the economic crisis. Personally I believe it's already occurred but have no proof of that, yet.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Okay, granted - I missed this piece of news. Time will bear testament to the longevity of the fracking boom. That old EROEI thing kicks in too, which is at least partly why US petrol prices haven't come down. No one is suggesting that fracking output will push US oil production to the level at which US production peaked in 1970. American peak oil happened a long time ago and this oscillation in the production curve has no bearing on peak oil.

It is widely acknowledged that global Peak Oil will only be recognised in the rear view mirror. The evidence isn't in yet and is at least partly masked by the reduced demand due to the economic crisis. Personally I believe it's already occurred but have no proof of that, yet.

Reduced demand? Growth in China, India, and Korea (both Koreas) has been fueling INCREASED overall world demand for years. And that growth is on the rise. Those nations demands haven't as yet been figured into the total growth in oil consumption and will likely accelerate depletion. There's been no eveidence of reduced demand here at all either.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Best stop digging your hole them.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I'm allowed to have a different opinion from you Rik, and I reserve the right to voice it. Fracking will not solve Peak Oil, only collapse will. That is the future I am preparing myself and my family for.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm allowed to have a different opinion from you Rik, and I reserve the right to voice it. Fracking will not solve Peak Oil, only collapse will. That is the future I am preparing myself and my family for.

Of course your entitled to your opinion but base it on facts and not out of date data. I'm a prepper too by the way.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Not that bothered about society collapsing to be honest. I'm friends with enough farmers who would need a bit more security, have an adequate supply of guns and ammunition for most contingencies. I'd happily ride out the storm in moderate comfort whilst the urbanites devour one another.

When it was over I'd declare myself King of Devon and marry Katherine Jenkins, probably.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE