Embossing Plate Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod

On a new journey
NickBristol said:
Tentatively interested too...

If i can find a designer to put together a logo then I'd definitely go for something, maybe 3in by 2in.

Does anyone know how clearly text would come through when it was embossed onto thick paper or thin leather? Not thinking of small fonts but wouldn't want to lose the edges of large text, maybe 1/2inch high letters on the page...

Cheers for any info - and thanks for offering the opportunity :You_Rock_
Nick

Hi Nick

It will very largely depend on the size of the font you are printing. A type set font would probably work best. Also, if you increase the amount of kern (space between the letters) this will help keep things clearer.

Hope this helps

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Cheers Rod - that does help a lot. Had worked out that font size would prob affect the quality and that bigger is usually better, but hadn't considered the spacing between letters issue.

Learnt a new word too so can go home having accomplished something today :lmao:

Time to find someone who can convert scribbles into a logo :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
:D Right Guys the Order is Definitely taking place! :D

My mate James (jdlenton) has offered to produce the final image in a quality that leprevo will be proud of! So HUGE thanks to him!!!:You_Rock_

What I need to do now is get definite Image designs for the stamp/s you require.

The uncertain bit at the moment is postage as this is fluid till I know the final order size, so unfortunately I can’t give you a final price yet but if we work on £2.00 per square inch we hopefully won’t be too far off!

So it’s over to you now!! The guys that have voiced a desire to join in at present are

• Jdlenton
  • Bumblebee
  • Stickie
  • Fluxus
  • Wayland
  • Grooveski
  • NickBristol
  • Fenlander
  • Longstrider
  • Shing
  • Moff8

So that’s a dozen of us at least! - (more welcome obviously!;) )

What I need form you all next is

• your image (preferably actual size) it MUST be black and white – no greyscale and we can accept it as either bmp or jpg (or as a hard copy pm me for info)
  • the final size you want your stamp to be – remember we will have to add a tad on so we can cut it out so this needs to be the size of the image and therefore I will adjust the cost to cover the extra (if my math will allow! )

We can / will be tweaking the images so they will hopefully be clear and work (I am querying technical issues with le prevo – i.e minimum line thickness) so if you need your image tidying up please say

Finally I feel we need to fix a 'Closing Date' for orders I cant see us getting it all sorted before christmas so guess we will all have late prezzies to look forward to in the new year:D So to give time for me to collate it all and James to combine the image

so the Closing date for orders will be the 11th of December at Midnight!

Right this feels a long post so I think I will finish here!

(I’m sure to think of something else as soon as I hit send – but hey I can always edit it!:D , if I do I will always post an extra thread to say so;) )

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Which vector formats are suitable for sending James? Are dxf's ok(I'm drawing in Autocad) or would you like them converted to coreldraw or the likes?

Josh

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi Josh
I use freehand and that will open .dxf files so thats fine the only issue with dxf is filled area so if you want a solid area (and leprevo say that its ok to have a solid area )then I will have to fill inside the vector for you I guess what I'm saying is just send me the outline and instructions of the area you want filled.

James

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks James, sounds like a plan :) .

I shudder to think how much space I'll be using given another three weeks of dreaming things up. The 6"sq I first put down for has already come and gone :rolleyes: .

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi All

I thought I would put together a post about file types and image requirements
I can accept files in any of these formats:-

Vector
Adobe Illustrator .ai
Auto Cad .dxf
CorelDRAW7.x/8.x .cdr
Freehand 11,10,9,8,7,6,5.x .fhx x=version number

Raster
Adobe Photoshop .psd
jpeg .jpg
giff .giff
tiff .tiff
bitmap .bmp

The image has to be black and white, I can convert the image if required. The black being the image to be pressed into the leather.
The smoother the edge of any black shapes the better, the more pixels per inch you use gives you a better image quality (I work at a minimum of 600ppi for print).
I would suggest that the minimum line weight is 0.75 mm or 2.126 pt

This really is all I have to say at the moment
Ant questions just ask

James

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Unless James had had a mountain of images, it seems it is just moff8, James and Myself!!!:confused:

Just a reminder if you want to take part that you now only have a week to join us!;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If still room, would I be able to add my Clan Crest - preferably as small as will come out OK. Would about one by two inch be too small?

MacEwanCrest.gif
[/IMG]

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Not seen how this is going to be accomplished yet, so...

Would it be worth having separating lines (or channels rather) so that cutting the plate up can be done more accurately? A jeweller's saw will split that stuff with ease. You'd lose a small amount on area, and the lines could be filed off afterwards. The only caveat I'd bung in is to make sure that your saw throat is at least 1/2 the width of the plate... :)

Other options on embossing include using things like arbor presses, hydraulic presses and so on. Obviously, the larger the area, the more force is required to get the same pressure on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE