Embossing Plate Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Right! - At last I have got round to it and found time to post the sugestion of my first Group Buy!

I have been wanting to get some stamps to emboss paper / Leather for some time and was drawn to the Embossing Plates by Le Prevo http://www.leprevo.co.uk/custom.html however don't need 20sq inches of plate or want to pay £35.00!

So cutting to the chase is there anyone else out there that would be interested in clubbing together to produce a large plate so we can split the cost?

The pice is down to £1.75 per sq Inch plus postage once we get over the magical 20 Sq inches . We could create a plate up to 144 Sq Inches (12"x12") and I would be happy to combine the designs into a final image then cut it down and post it on once i'ts made..

Let me know what you think and hopefully it will be a goer!:D - just think of all those personalised sheaths!!!! ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Well I'm up for some room on the plate I also do vector illustration on the pc exactly what is required by leprevo for there photographic technique very clean and very acurate.

James

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i presume this is just for a plate and no kind of 'stamping device' how does it actually work, how do you stamp it on paper/leather whatever?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'd be interested in six sq inches or so.

Nice one James. :) I started sketching last night and was wondering whether to export an image or keep things as vector.

Tomtom, I'll be sticking small designs to the end of a six inch long length of 1" square bar, either glued with epoxy or maybe braized on(if the magnesium alloy they use will allow it without igniting).

Then you just line it up on the leather and smack it like a big centrepunch.

The plate like the one in the picture at leprevo would need to be clamped - put in a vice with the leather and squeezed up.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Tentatively interested too...

If i can find a designer to put together a logo then I'd definitely go for something, maybe 3in by 2in.

Does anyone know how clearly text would come through when it was embossed onto thick paper or thin leather? Not thinking of small fonts but wouldn't want to lose the edges of large text, maybe 1/2inch high letters on the page...

Cheers for any info - and thanks for offering the opportunity :You_Rock_
Nick

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
to be honest i havn't a clue how well it will work / turn out! :eek:

I was just working on the fact that at under a couple of quid an inch it is worth the risk.......

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Tomtom
Think we will be makeing punches by cutting up th sheet and mounting them using epoxy on some sort of punch it could be a piece of broom handel i even think that you can buy special mounting punches from leather suppliers

James

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Originaly Posted by NickBristol
Does anyone know how clearly text would come through when it was embossed onto thick paper or thin leather? Not thinking of small fonts but wouldn't want to lose the edges of large text, maybe 1/2inch high letters on the page...
This page has some text examples on it. Looks good :) .

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Cheers Groovski - they do look good, really suprised me how precise the edges are :)

I'm definitely convinced now. Money in mouth ready to go.

Know it's early days but any timescales yet?

leon-1

jdlenton said:
Tomtom
Think we will be makeing punches by cutting up th sheet and mounting them using epoxy on some sort of punch it could be a piece of broom handel i even think that you can buy special mounting punches from leather suppliers

James

Yep you can use them as a punch with a hammer if they are mounted correctly or you could put them in a press or a vice with the project mounted between two peices of board, in fact there are many different ways that they can be used.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
your logo is a bit detailed to stamp well unless you do it say 2" square it might work then but i'd go for the n and l idea if i were you

James

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As with any embossing system, the best advice is to keep things a simple as you can. The more fine detail on your design, the more likely it is to become just a big splodge when you actually attack a piece of leather with the stamp. I had a stamp made of steel for my logo and it works a treat (see http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9015 ) but that thing cost me nearly £60.
I'm working on a few square inches worth of design to join in with this group buy. At the price, it's well worth a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE