Leather Embossing Stamp Group Buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mines here - excellent thanks....

Now thinking about how best to use it :eek:

Mount on a bit of wood and bang with hammer (on wetted leather) I assume but I'd be glad to hear what others do......

Red

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was just about to give mine a wallop when it struck me that it's made of alu - or something similarly soft, so I put a piece of wood over the back to absorb some of the energy and thus not deform the stamp.

Other than that - wot Red said.

Dear Lord - I've just used 'thus' in a thread!!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just done just that Dougster (put the wood over the top rather than permanently mounted it). Whereafter it worked like a charm ;)

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Mine was here too! :D - well impressed (as is Libby who one of my designs was for, and diddn't know anything about it!)

Have just tried it on bluetac (all I had handy) and they are crisp and clear - leather will be next;)

Thanks mate!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Glad everyone's enjoying them. I've had a go at embossing some pieces I've already made, formed and waxed. A warm up in the oven and then press the stamp in with a g-clamp works pretty well. I guess it will work even better on fresh wetted leather.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
You guys will have to post some pics when you have sussed it out I can't wait to see your results and the different designs.

Simon.

Gailainne

Life Member
Yeah

Got mine too, stamps are a bit close together, still nothing careful use of a scapel blade wont fix :), they look great tho cant wait to try them.

I have a few leather projects I've been meaning to start, no excuses now.

BTW its magnesium alloy, so dont go heating it up to use on wood or similar, think fire steel and white hot molten metal.

I'm gonna save all the clean up swarff, should help no end fire starting.

Stephen

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You guys will have to post some pics when you have sussed it out I can't wait to see your results and the different designs.

Simon.
Here you go then

1413365887_63b117b1db_m.jpg

1413368211_7763c9c8b4_m.jpg

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
The use of the stamp is'nt something I had considered TBH, I still have quite a bit of willow left over from the last Delamere meet (its actually sprouting new growth, in a dark shed no less) so I could use that to make something to fix it to. I would probably be using the wooden mallet I have for leather work anyway, so it should last.

Hopefully I will have something to post picture wise after the weekend.

Regards

Stephen

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Heres mine (poor photo but I couldn't wait!:eek: )

dscf2862pc8.jpg

even more impressed now! - now I just have to cut them up and mount them on a clamp:rolleyes:

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Those stamps are very impressive folks I can just see it now crazed bushcrafters hunting in the house, at work, in the high street stamping away any leather that they can find.
Can't wait to see the projects people.

Simon.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
leather is the least of my worries mate - swmbo wants hers made into a 'rubber' stamp for ink stamping on the cards she makes! - that will teach me to make something up as a supprise:lmao:

any bright ideas on how?........... :rolleyes:

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I am sure there is places out there that make personalised rubber stamps, to make your own you could try a craft shop or website they might have kits.

Simon.

Gailainne

Life Member
Here's mine, and it was me who made them too close :(, but like I said not a problem.

CIMG0050.jpg

For those who may wonder, I used my actual initials SC to stylise a storm wave, Gailainne is the anglified version for the gaelic word for storm wave, shrug convoluted I know, so sue me :)

Something is deffinately required to concentrate the blow to make a clean image, this was my 4th attempt, and even then its not an even hit, not good on a working project.

Another little project :)

Stephen

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Something is deffinately required to concentrate the blow to make a clean image, this was my 4th attempt, and even then its not an even hit, not good on a working project.

Another little project :)

I clamped mine together with a ratchet clamp..... I thought the stamp was a little large to accuratly 'wack' so I wetted the leather, placed the stamp on top, a peice of wood to spread the load and then clamped it to the bench for 20mins or so

I'ts not quick but enables you to be accurate and ensure an even pressure ;)

but then hey it's the first time I have had a proper stamp and ever tried so what do I know :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE