Dress up knife carry - what's yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've seen the U1 on a site but its not doing it for me.
I really like the slim lightweight handle on the U2 I have, the blade is great and although I really like locknives, the police don't so much.
Most times I reckon I have good enough reason to have one in my pocket but I'd just like a slipjoint version of my U2 as well.
Nothing at all fancy looking, just plain but with a good blade.

Yep, I know what you mean. I remember the U1 coming out and at that time, there wasn't a mass of other options out there. I think if Fallkniven had made an economical version with the plastic handle, it would have sold well.

In fairness to it, the U1 isn't tooo heavy as it's quite a small knife. Bit of a soft back spring though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thank you everyone for the recommendations, there is a lot of support weighted towards SAK's and understandably so....so worth me looking into them again.

The short list according to me (in no order) is as follows:

Alox SAK's (possibly the farmer or pruner)
Fallniven U4 or U2
Spyderco dragonfly or UKPK or native
Leatherman squirt PS4 or style CS
Lionsteel best man (2 blade version)
Manly wasp (s90 blade)
Case large stockman cv
Enzo pk70 scandi or flat grind

Out of all of these I am leaning towards the fallkniven and the Enzo.

My last Enzo pk70 (scandi) was my grail knife until it changed ownship without my consent, so ideally that would be the one, but not available (unless anyone has one to rehome )

So the fallkniven U4 or U2 might be the answer....how does the U4 preform as a small whittling, edc carry?

I'll keep you posted on what I find?

Cheers everyone for your thoughts and opinions

Apologies, for some reason I thought I’d sent you the Enzo, we were in PM at the same time as I sold it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Wish I hadn't seen titanium one....that finish is superb
The pocket clip too, just when it's closed is damn stylish

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Another SAK used here. It's in my right hand trouser pocket whatever I'm wearing where it or a predecessor has been since I was a little boy. Yes, we used to take them to school in days gone by.

As to not going with a suit, I've found that the SAK's corkscrew has often made me popular at social occasions when I'm the only one able to open the wine bottles.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Here are as many as I can find.

A9396768-F32-E-46-D2-BA05-9-FB4-C1-AD54-D8.jpg

Joker
Sanrenmu
McHenry William Benchmade
Boker Slack
Spyderco PITS
AG Russell
Masarin
Chinese folder, not sure what it is
Spyderco Urban
Alox SAK

Can’t find my Higonokami.
There is something about that böker slack that is drawing me in..... :surrender:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Noooo, not the Boker Slack.

I bought one, and I ground it down to a UK legal EDC length...and as much as I want to like it, I don't. The back spring works with a tang notch to give one a very tight and stiff open blade. That isn't bad, if that is what you want, which I did. The problem is the stupid, horrible, super skinny handle. What is the point of a really stiff back spring unless you intend doing some serious work with the knife? For serious work, you need to be able to hold on to the knife comfortably. I have a medium, size 8, hand, and the Slack's handle is far too skinny to grip firmly. It is uncomfortable. Not just the thickness, but the depth, so can't be fixed just by replacing scales.

Now as a dress folder, sure, it will carry nicely, but opening and closing are events, which is less good for a refined EDC.

Reactions: gra_farmer

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent

I bought one, and I ground it down to a UK legal EDC length...and as much as I want to like it, I don't. The back spring works with a tang notch to give one a very tight and stiff open blade. That isn't bad, if that is what you want, which I did. The problem is the stupid, horrible, super skinny handle. What is the point of a really stiff back spring unless you intend doing some serious work with the knife? For serious work, you need to be able to hold on to the knife comfortably. I have a medium, size 8, hand, and the Slack's handle is far too skinny to grip firmly. It is uncomfortable. Not just the thickness, but the depth, so can't be fixed just by replacing scales.

Now as a dress folder, sure, it will carry nicely, but opening and closing are events, which is less good for a refined EDC.
Thank you for the input Chris.....this is a mine field

So to reiterate, my interpretation of a dress knife is something to carry, either everyday as office carry, but mainly at private events such as weddings (where I have regularly needed a small folding knife).

Safety is a must, thus a locking knife or a strong back spring.

So as it stands, the short list is still an Enzo pk70 (if anyone has one to rehome) or between an Fallkniven U4 or U2.

Due to some big order issues with knives and tools, I have a chance to get the U4 at a (apology) discount price.....

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
if you want a nice folder with a good strong spring then you need to speak to shing, or fine someone who has one for sale. there is a nice shing recurve on EM at the moment. its not mine, nor do i have any affiliation with the chap selling it.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As to not going with a suit, I've found that the SAK's corkscrew has often made me popular at social occasions when I'm the only one able to open the wine bottles.
One of these days I am going to make a short video on how to open a corked wine bottle with a knife blade. Not quite foolproof but with about 90 success rate and no broken blades.

Reactions: gra_farmer

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
One of these days I am going to make a short video on how to open a corked wine bottle with a knife blade. Not quite foolproof but with about 90 success rate and no broken blades.
Oh, don't do that, I'll lose my party trick!
The chef at the restaurant where I worked as a student always opened wine bottles with his knife as is was quicker than finding and using a corkscrew. He taught ne the trick but I've never bothered with it because my SAK is always with me. Nowadays real corks are increasing rare and used more on better quality wines. I can imagine the look of horror on my French friends' faces if I whipped out a knife to open a Premier Grand Cru!

Reactions: gra_farmer and TLM

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
if you want a nice folder with a good strong spring then you need to speak to shing, or fine someone who has one for sale. there is a nice shing recurve on EM at the moment. its not mine, nor do i have any affiliation with the chap selling it.
Edge Matters is dangerous......thanks for the heads up on the shing, not quite what I was looking for, but now longing for a spyderco uban.

So the jury is still out.

Thank you everyone for your insight so far

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I would like to see how to do that....my party tricks are a little thin on the ground of late :sulk:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I’m really a fan of it. It has the looks, a decent backspring, and feels good in the hand. It opens and closes with a good snap, so watch the fingers on closing. As the spring is strong and the tip quite high, the danger of it closing on your fingers while piercing is reduced, it feels fairly safe, unlike SAKs. Mine gets used when I drop off a chunk of biltong to someone for the tasting, box and envelope unwrapping etc. I like the Southern European blade shape, seen on many a Laguiole (another gents folder worth a look). The slim handle is a part of these type of knives, the Lionsteel Gitano has some really good looks, tons of blade, not much handle. It’s fine for a pocket knife, work and wedding tasks are hardly going to be hard use.

https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/product/1883/gt01_gitano

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE