Pocket knife - what's yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
This has possibly been done before, so apologies if I'm treading old ground, but I'm new and interested in your thoughts.

What do you carry as your everyday pocket knife? Or do you carry one at all?
I'm not talking about your knife when out in the field. I mean in your trouser pocket when at work or the pub, etc.
Long debates about legal carry, and justification, etc, so what do you (if at all) carry in you pocket day to day, and can you justify it?

My thoughts (personal to me, I may be wrong, but they are mine so hey ho :) )

I always carry a pocket knife. Most useful thing I have (although the phone is not far behind it, sad but true) and I carry it at ALL times. Due to this I keep it small, non locking (to stay legal) and I'm pretty sure I can justify why I have it if anyone asked.

My main knife
fb57362a9d865c50917bc98de90877dc_zps32d295c2.jpg

This is my Rodgers Gentlemans Pocket Knife. This is what is in my jeans pocket as I sit hear now. I carry this most days and its a good little folder. Very small so takes up no space but gets used all the time for minor tasks. It was not cheap for such a little fella but its discreet, I have no problem drawing it and using it in public, but works well.

My second knife
8cc6fef07af19a169f41a93828daecd3_zps938c72da.jpg

This Grohmann Slimline Pocket Knife is my other daily pocket knife. I don't carry it as much as the blades bigger and stands out when used at work, etc for tasks (I work in the NHS, so I'm mindful of patients opinions). However the use is far better as the blade offers more options and the handle is decent.

My old knife
ff9342d7370e660c4aad5436264ef6e8_zpsde812065.jpg

SAK Hiker. This I carried as my main knife for years. It has been everywhere and done everything. Lots of useful features as well as the two blades. I have the Hiker as it has a screwdriver rather than a useless (to me) corkscrew. This knife seems acceptable in public and I've hammered with it, found the saw to be really effective and in general worked really well.
In fact as I sit here writing this I wonder why I changed from it, and how I'm coping without its many functions.

Your knifes please - with pictures - and thoughts :)

Last edited:

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Swiss army ranger as its legal to carry, has a good saw, and is a nice size. Would sooner carry my leatherman but the law says no.

Luke
Greencraft

currently it's a joker carbon steel with spalted wood knife scales. given as a birthday gift by mesquite. great single blade. legal edc simple in its design and works fine.
prior to the joker it was a buck canoe with two blades. served me well over years and several courses too
photos tomorrow

that hiker looks useful.

N

Nomad

Victorinox Swiss Champ, bought last year after retiring my Champion after about 32 years of faithful, daily service. Also got a Huntsman in my backup kit (scissors and wood saw in addition to standard blades).

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Swiss army ranger as its legal to carry, has a good saw, and is a nice size. Would sooner carry my leatherman but the law says no.

Luke
Greencraft

The law is a bit daft on that one. I like my leatherman, but I don't find it comfy to hold for very long, hence why I never carry this. Starting to wonder if to carry my SAK again, or splash out on a new one - probably not - but nice to have choices.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
currently it's a joker carbon steel with spalted wood knife scales. given as a birthday gift by mesquite. great single blade. legal edc simple in its design and works fine.
prior to the joker it was a buck canoe with two blades. served me well over years and several courses too
photos tomorrow

that hiker looks useful.

Pics please. Interested in seeing the joker.
Yes, not sure it was called hiker when I bought mine years ago, but is now. SAK's have a decent saw for odd jobs and the pointy thing (no idea of its actual name or use) is so handy. It's a point with an eye, but has a sort of blade edge, so it reams holes really well in almost anything.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Victorinox Swiss Champ, bought last year after retiring my Champion after about 32 years of faithful, daily service. Also got a Huntsman in my backup kit (scissors and wood saw in addition to standard blades).

Looked up the Swiss Champ. Wow what a lot of stuff. On there site they have is with wood scales - I like. Huntsman is about the size of mine, more or less. I must start drinking more wine as the Swiss army seem to need a corkscrew a lot :)
Beer and whisky open far easier

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I like to rotate mine, at the moment its between a fallkniven u1, UKPK Titanium or FRN, Boker + XS, Enzo PK70 carbon fibre, HH Boker cox, Boker subcom titanium or an alox farmer.

If I'm going to the woods I still carry one of the above but also one of a few fixed blades.

N

Nomad

Looked up the Swiss Champ. Wow what a lot of stuff. On there site they have is with wood scales - I like. Huntsman is about the size of mine, more or less. I must start drinking more wine as the Swiss army seem to need a corkscrew a lot :)
Beer and whisky open far easier

Pretty much the same as the Champion, but with the addition of the pliers. Knife blades, magnifier, scissors and the various screwdrivers get used the most. The rulers on the fish descaler/disgorger are surprisingly handy for a quick reckoning of a size. Tin and bottle openers are excellent. The awl/reamer works well as a reamer. Wood saw is very good but rarely used. Hacksaw less so, but the files either side have been very handy (nails, cleaning points on cars). Haven't had a clear opportunity to use the pliers yet, but I haven't had it long.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Like Man of Tanith I like the Joker with Carbon blade, swapped mine for some Cashmere gloves with Mr Fenna. They are very 'non knife person' friendly which is good news in my profession.

That said, I also carry a UKPK and when out with the dogs a Spyderco Manix 2 in CPM S90V.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Alox Farmer in a leather holster on my belt. I work in the NHS too and use it at work a lot. Patients don't mind. A couple of colleagues have described it as a "weapon", but I quickly correct them with "tool".

I never carry a blade if I'm out on the town for a night out.

erevavet.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I like to rotate mine, at the moment its between a fallkniven u1, UKPK Titanium or FRN, Boker + XS, Enzo PK70 carbon fibre, HH Boker cox, Boker subcom titanium or an alox farmer.

If I'm going to the woods I still carry one of the above but also one of a few fixed blades.

Nice selection. Would love a Fallkniven, but out of my league. TK4 would be on my Christmas list if I was allowed. Must look at the Enzo range as I've missed the folders.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Several over the years. From about age 8 until my early 20s it was either a Barlow or more often a stockman (usually an Old Timer Stockman) For a while it was a Craftsman copy of the BSA knife. In my early 30s I switched mostly to a Victinox camping.

Never felt any need to justify them.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
JP1211_b3.jpg

Lovely and sharp, getting a nice patina on the brass handle too. A nice little knife for £20 (Rutlands)

Other occasional carriers are the self sharpening Edgie:

6442folded.jpg

Marbles Handyman's Helper:
4721.jpg

Only problem as a football fanatic I've got to keep remembering to take them out of my pockets before going to the game to avoid long discussions with Strathclyde's 'finest'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE