Lightweight(ish) winter loadout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,

I thought I’d share some thoughts on the kit that I took on a recent overnighter.

Having recently been in hospital for some minor surgery, I found myself in a position where I had an unexpected opportunity to go camping with some mates but, owing to doctors orders, I was not able to carry heavy weights. One might suggest this is a tall order when it comes to winter camping. My very kind camp mates did offer to carry some of my gear for me but I’m a proud lad and didn’t want to burden them with that task…

So I set myself a challenge of stripping down my gear to the bare essentials and think carefully about what you really need to take on a camping trip. I didn’t want to carry any unnecessary weight and I wanted to shoe horn it into my smallest rucksack – A 25 litre daysack which is typically used to carry my lunch to work.
20160226_154606_zps1hvbqnbi.jpg

I stuck fairly rigidly to the parameters set out by Mr Mears in his essential bushcraft book, i.e; something to sleep on, sleep in, under, cook with etc etc (I’m sure many of you are familiar with this mantra!)

Having recently acquired a British army bivvi bag following a swap on this good forum, I was also keen to sleep on the ground (I usually swing from the trees!).

So here’s what I took:

Something to carry your outfit in: Forces 25 rucksack (pic above)

Something to sleep under: Snugpak 3m x 3m Tarp – really like this tarp

Something to sleep in: Alpkit Mountain Ghost synthetic sleeping bag and Mod bivvy bag – I slept well but was pushing the limits of the sleeping bag, it’s advertised as a two season bag with comfort limit of -0.8 (check out my recent trip report for more info). It’s a great bag though, I got it for Christmas and have used it a few times since then in some pretty testing conditions. Best of all, it packs down very small indeed.

Something to sleep on: I usually use a budget brand ¾ length inflatable mat but was concerned that I might puncture it on the rough ground. I ended up investing some hard earned cash on the Rolls Royce of foam mats! the Thermarest Ridgerest. Glad I did because it kept my underside lovely and warm. And with a little help from a mattress made of some leaf litter/pine needles it was also very comfortable. Ok it’s a little bulky but was actually lighter than my old mat.

Something to cook over: Aside from carrying a fairly comprehensive fire kit that enables me to cook over a fire. Another recent purchase was a Trangia triangle. This replaced a wood gas stove that I’d often used on previous camps. It’s a good bit of kit but I had two issues; firstly: it’s a little bit bulky, and secondly; I rarely used it as a wood burner as I generally do most of my cooking on an open fire. I was instead using it in conjunction with my trangia burner for those crucial morning brews! The trangia doesn’t work that efficiently with the wood gas stove as the burner is often too far from the pot. I was really pleased with the triangle, it’s a sturdy bit of kit, weighs very little and packs down very flat.

Something to cook in: A dutch army stainless steel mug with a home made foil lid, paired with a pair of leather gloves for handling hot stuff – I often take a few different stainless steel pots but when it boils down to it (pun intended!) all you truly need is a simple metal container. This mug is ideal as it nests in with one of…….

Something to carry water: 2 x Dutch army water bottles

Cutting Tools: Puukko knife, opinel saw, folding knife. I usually carry a hatchet but ditched it to save weight. The puukko is carried on a kneck lanyard and the folding knife goes in my pocket.

A mug: An enamel mug, didn’t fancy drinking out of a sooted up dutch army mug.

Eating utensils: Spoon, nothing fancy made from super light metals. Just a simple old fashioned spoon from the kitchen!

Food: Potato, ribs and cheese, trail mix, brew kit…..Yummy!

Medical kit: First aid kit – essential on each and every trip and the only thing in my backpack which didn’t get used!

Navigational equipment: Not needed in my local woodland, could probably make my way round there blindfolded but I did have gps on my phone if it was absolutely necessary.

Illumination at night: Head torch and spare set of batteries

Wash kit: Tissues, wet wipes and hand sanitiser

Clothing: In addition to the clothes I was wearing, I carried a down jacket, long johns and a thick pair of socks. Whats also worth a mention is the poly-cotton smock that I got from the Bushcraft Journal – am really liking this smock. It’s a thick and very durable (almost Polish lavvu) like fabric, water resistant (and has stood up well when I’ve worn it in the rain) and at £30, wasn’t too expensive either.

Luxury items: Hammock chair, sit mat, Kendal mint cake!

Here’s a few pictures. The picture of the loadout is of a previous evolution of this set-up. I essentially replaced the sleeping mat and the rucksack and ditched the msr cook pot, hatchet and hip flask.
20160219_145706_zpswoo1b1em.jpg

20160227_130438_zpsy0zscfls.jpg

20160228_065907_zps5sple8ts.jpg

20160228_085527_zpsnzwixrpg.jpg

Did I miss anything when I took it on a camping trip? In short no, it’s nice to take other gear with you (e.g. more elaborate cooking systems, lots of different tools etc) but I was happy to prove to myself that you can be just as comfortable without it.

Lesson learnt: Firstly, its always worth thinking about keeping things simple, I had a great night out despite leaving some luxuries at home. Secondly, while I learnt that all this gear can go into a 25ltr daysack, I was conscious that it was stretching the limits of the bag. Next time I’ll just put it in my larger 38ltr bag –it’ll make striking camp a little easier and I’ll most likely just fill the space with more food!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice review of your load out. Certainly a well thought out kit list and sounds like you had a good time.

Hope the bivvy served you well?

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I think you done really well with that load out,I can't see you carry a large load now! And since we have found a water source your pack can be even lighter.I enjoyed carrying a lighter load myself,but my sleep matt needs updating as that is where I felt the cold so I have invested in a exped down mat as I do enjoy biving,just makes a change from swinging from the trees always good to mix things up a bit.Bring on the next one.
Andy.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks Copper_head, was very pleased with the bivvy bag ta. With the modification it was certainly very easy to get in and out of. It'll be getting a fairly amount of use!

Glad to hear it and good to see it getting used.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
+1 for the Thermarest ridgerest, I've used one in some very cold conditions and it works really well.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

:)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I think it is important to keep trying out different systems and post like these make interesting reading, so thank you.

Did I miss it but did you give any idea of weight? I find it is this that makes or breaks a trip. What is comfortable on my back at home seems to be too much at the end of a day. I also find that what I used to carry easily is now much more difficult. When I was young I used to think 30 pounds was a light pack, now I find 12 kilos too heavy!

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Great write up! This is a topic I'm extremely interested in as I usually use a berghaus dart 35 as my go to pack.

Did you felt everything in the bag or did you end up tying components to the exterior?

Did you get any photos of the fully loaded pack?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
Nice write up mate, light and simply is by far the best way to travel in my opinion

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated.

Barbourdurham: In terms of the modification. This was made by the previous owner (copperhead) and is the addition of a short (3ft ish) zip down the centre. Makes it easier to get in and out. It does of course effect the performance, but not relevent if, like me, you intend on using it in conjunction with a tarp.

Oldtimer: As for the weight of the pack, I don't honestly know as I don't tend to monitor the weight. What I do know is that it was significantly lighter than my previous load outs. The gear that I used wasn't necessarily light weight gear, some of it was army surplus or military inspired. I also can't justify purchasing the expensive titanium cooking gear and to be honest I much prefer stainless steel for the fact that you can happily cook over a fire with it and not worry about it warping or what have you. My intention here was to lighten the load by reducing bulk and stripping down to the bare essentials. The main things that I stripped out of the kit were my billy can (didn't need it when I had a dutch army mug that nests with the bottle and was just as capable of boiling water), woodgas stove (I cooked my food in the embers of the fire and used a trangia triangle and burner for the morning brew), axe (just relied on my knife and saw, didn't really miss it if I'm honest) and wool blanket (didn't need it and recently purchased a cheap down jacket).

Grotzilla: I think I did post up a picture of the rucksack loaded with the thermarest sitting on one side. That was basically everything loaded, I simply strapped the thermarest to the base of the rucksack as there was no way it would go inside and that was the only thing that was attachd to the exterior.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom

Grotzilla: I think I did post up a picture of the rucksack loaded with the thermarest sitting on one side. That was basically everything loaded, I simply strapped the thermarest to the base of the rucksack as there was no way it would go inside and that was the only thing that was attachd to the exterior.

Ahh yes I was confused by the olive green bag and the photo of the camo bag, I didn't realise the camo bag was a previous evolution of your gear :doh:

Seeing you can get all that kit in such a small bag is extremely impressive, and also a reality check as I complain my 35L is too small!

Really need to stop carrying my ghillie kettle around! :p :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Ahh yes I was confused by the olive green bag and the photo of the camo bag, I didn't realise the camo bag was a previous evolution of your gear :doh:

Seeing you can get all that kit in such a small bag is extremely impressive, and also a reality check as I complain my 35L is too small!

Really need to stop carrying my ghillie kettle around! :p :rolleyes:

Sorry about the confusion. The other rucksack is my NI Patrol pack and the pack that I typically use for camping trips. I don't necessarily think it was ideal using a smaller pack, I just took it as a challenge to see if it could be done. I'll probably go back to using the patrol pack but will be thinking more carefully about what needs to be taken on camping trips, often it's nice to carry other kit if you're going camping with a specific purpose in mind.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth

Barbourdurham: In terms of the modification. This was made by the previous owner (copperhead) and is the addition of a short (3ft ish) zip down the centre. Makes it easier to get in and out. It does of course effect the performance, but not relevent if, like me, you intend on using it in conjunction with a tarp.

thanks very much!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE