DIY snow shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I went googling madly to find more on ojibwa shoes (which may
go by other names in other parts)....
found this gem:[video=youtube;VrklMB6hCa0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrklMB6hCa0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

BTW, I agree that a shoe with a rounded nose is probably better in dense bush...I use the Huron style and like them a lot...
but with enough practice you can get by with any type of shoe...

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Excellent thread!

I found http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/popu...o-Make-and-Use-Snowshoes-Making-the-Shoe.html and was going to give it a go, but will have to have a read through the links here first.

One question, what type of wood are you guys using for this, and how thick and wide are you cutting it? Circular saw up to the task, or are you planing or sanding it before steaming it? Or are you using dowels?

Lots of questions but hey, I've never snowshoed before and I'm thinking we all might get a great chance to try it out this winter!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
The wall paper steamer I have used for years, works very well. The other thing you can use is a steel tube with one blocked end stood at an angle, say 45 degrees, with water at the bottom. Put the wood to be bent in there and apply heat at the bottom end to boil the water, keep a rag at the top, not too tight though, you're not making a steam canon!! that will providfe plenty enough steam and heat to bend the wood.

You can also wrap towels around the bit of wood you want to bent and pour boiling water on that until the wood is pliable. Works well on Oak and Ash. Obviously, if you try to bend a 4"x2", it won't work! A snow shoes frame is about 3/4"x1/2" in the middle to just about 1/2"x1/2" square at the end, should be no problem bending that with hot towel and boiling water, just take a bit of time and keep trying until you reach the point when the wood turn to spaghetti!

If you want to make quicky snow shoes look here. They call them pioneers snow shoes.

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hazel or willow.. I'll try them both.. :) Thanks Silentpadler for that video, very impressive indeed. I was watching Ray yesterday making the Roycraft pattern (as Forestwalker has mentioned) snowshoes in one of his World of Survival.
Shame I couldn't get of my work earlier today, I would have started them. It's all for tomorrow..

Thanks everyone and I'll post on Saturday with the results.. if any :D :D

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
So I'm heading off to event with no snow shoes :( There's from -10 to -16 C outside, wood is frozen, I kept it indoors for a while but couldn't get it to bend that much.... too dry this time of year.. Ahhhhhh a day too shot. Need more time and preparation, a steamer or a hot bath could have helped, but didn't had any of those available. :( :(

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Thanks mate. I think this might turn out even better. I'll have more time to get the better materials and do a more careful job. Anyway there were a lot of steep climbing involved today and I would've carried them on my back most of the time :D :D some pics later.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Ok, I've got a few pic's so here it goes:

The event turned out to be more about berries and different bush that can provide you with vitamins needed in winter. There were not much talking about food in general as in survival situation.

DSC_3829.JPG

that's instructor holding a blackberry.

DSC_3832.JPG

that's the lot in front of Guelder Rose (Viburnum opulus) I don't think you have them in UK? do you? They're great!

we had to go up and down quite a few hills, people with sky's struggled a lot. My snow shoes would've left me far behind.
DSC_3835.JPG

DSC_3839.JPG

The three bushcrafters of Lithuania :D :D :D me on the left. Forth one taking photo.

Thanks for looking !

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
No, no one with snow shoes. One third of the crowd was in sky's, but they only had some advantage when on the clear paths, most of the time they had to carry them on their backs :D Yea, it was a great day out with loads of useful info. Brought home some natural tea's and learned a few shrubs i didn't knew before. :)

Good luck Pandabean with your snow shoes and let us know how you get on with them! :)

No, no one with snow shoes. One third of the crowd was in sky's, but they only had some advantage when on the clear paths, most of the time they had to carry them on their backs :D Yea, it was a great day out with loads of useful info. Brought home some natural tea's and learned a few shrubs i didn't knew before. :)

Good luck Pandabean with your snow shoes and let us know how you get on with them! :)

I wouldn't have said skis would have been ideal in the forest like that unless there were wide paths. But then again I haven't been on skis before.

Wayland - yup, bought a set from the guy he said he had a few sets so I e-mailed him and got a pair rather than messing around with bids and evilbay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE