Planning a Winter trip to Finland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
They are great aren't they?

Did you get the lined ones or the unlined?
I got the unlined Austrian ones as I have plenty of well insulated gloves for them to go over. I could have spent a fortune some Montane mittens or other brands but these look every bit as good. I look forward to testing them out.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
What an age we live in?

I have just ordered all my food and fuel supplies for the trip for collection from a local supermarket 1300 miles away at midday on the day of our arrival.

I'm able to do this on a Finnish website, even though the only word I know means "thank you", because Google Chrome translates the web pages almost seamlessly. I can check the ingredients aren't going to hospitalise me and add to the order any time up to the day I fly. My credit card gives me the best exchange rate with no foreign transaction charges and I do this all from the comfort of my own home.

This is the kind of future that the internet was made for.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It is, isn't it?

Right up to the point of getting an order confirmation I was expecting it to wimp out at some point but the only thing it wouldn't do is let me apply for a loyalty card. ( Which might have been useful to keep an order history if we go again next year.)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yes, it is super convenient.

Do they make automatic substitutions if they are out of stock of something?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
They do but I have turned that feature off because my dietary requirements are very specific.

I would rather know something is missing and replace it myself, than find out they had replaced it with something that contained onion ( Which could end my trip. )

That is one of the reasons being able to check ingredients on a translated page has been so useful. I usually struggle with all the different words for Onions, Shallots, Spring Onion and the like but alliums are such common ingredients.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well done all those taking part…..what an adventure….
I think Vilhjalmur Stefansson said something like
"An adventure is what happens when someone does something wrong."
mush.gif

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I think Vilhjalmur Stefansson said something like
"An adventure is what happens when someone does something wrong."
mush.gif
Sod’s law states that if something can go wrong it will……but that is where the fun between all the guy’s begins. All the team going will be able to adapt and overcome and from that when you return we can all sit around a fire and listen and enjoy the stories……well done

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Finland is somewhere both wife and I are very keen to go and your expedition is going to be very inspiring. Only read part of the first post, but going to come back to this this evening and will be really keen to read it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE