Planning a Winter trip to Finland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I almost hesitate to post this thread for fear of Jinxing it. We first started to plan a trip to Kittilä for February 2021 but the pandemic scotched that for us.

We rescheduled it for 2022 but the airline cancelled our flights at the last minute so that was a bust too and we ended up having a miserable weekend at MudMoot instead. ( Not the event's fault, we were just in very low spirits. )

So here we are, trying again for 2023. Fingers crossed.

The plan is to fly in, unpack the toboggans and haul the kit to a local supermarket and garage for supplies.

From there we head out into the woods on snowshoes with two sites in mind, both on state owned forestry land, one 3 miles from the town the other 6 miles out.

We are travelling from the UK in two parties. The advance party will stop at 3 mile camp, pitch up our shelters and then work on building snow shelters, Iglu or Quizhee depending on the conditions. The Main party flies out a few days later and will make directly for 6 mile camp after picking up supplies where we will rendezvous with them.

They are more constrained on the dates because of school term times, hence their shorter trip. We are also going to be joined by another party member who is arriving from Europe and meeting us out there at some point.

That is the outline plan. Of course things often change on the ground but it is always good to have a basic plan in place.

Wayland-Snow-Shed.jpg

For my part, I will be testing out the Wayland Shed on this trip although I will have alternative shelter available for back up.

Much of the preparation gear wise is already in place from previous trips and the run up to the aborted trips of the last two years but as I dust off the kit again and start to pack, I thought it might be interesting to put a running post up about the preparations.

One of the more recent additions I made to my kit was a tool for making snow blocks for an Iglu. I posted about this before but it does no harm to talk about it again here.

Snow-block-cutter.jpg

The idea is that if snow conditions are good, it can be used as a block cutter but if snow is looser it can be used as a mould to shovel snow into to make the blocks, in the same manner as making sand castles in a bucket.

Snow-block-cutter-II.jpg

When not being used for that purpose it can be used as a base under the stoves for cooking or even a wind break if that is required.

I am sure there will be other minor modifications made to kit in the next few weeks but I will post them up in this thread as they occur.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Excellent snow shed set up, looking forward to seeing that in action, heading back out to the white stuff myself next week, back to Jokkmokk and the Arctic campsite, have a cabin booked (56) but am also wanting to take a hammock set up, weather permitting, varying weather reports but it looks like it's chilling down nicely, possible lows of -30 on one of the forecasts which is too low for my set up I think so will possibly not do it, anyway, I ramble too much, sorry, have fun and look forward to the TR :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Excellent snow shed set up, looking forward to seeing that in action, heading back out to the white stuff myself next week, back to Jokkmokk and the Arctic campsite, have a cabin booked (56) but am also wanting to take a hammock set up, weather permitting, varying weather reports but it looks like it's chilling down nicely, possible lows of -30 on one of the forecasts which is too low for my set up I think so will possibly not do it, anyway, I ramble too much, sorry, have fun and look forward to the TR :)
Hope you have a great time.

I would like to get back to Jokkmokk for the market again sometime.

Reactions: bopdude

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A bit over 50 cm of snow at the moment, I don't know how soft it is but at this time of the year it mostly would be. That means that building anything from snow is difficult and at best takes hours to harden.

Just details though, good luck!

Reactions: Wayland

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

Be sure to share your trip too if you will! :)

Reactions: Wayland and bopdude

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Sounds amazing! I had few days in Finland over Christmas period, although nothing as exciting as what you have planned. It did give me a chance to check out some clothing systems in dry cold and snow. Not an environment I'm very familiar with.
This was at night:

I did get to make my first ever quinzee, which was in itself very satisfying and quite straigtforward. But yes the snow was soft and we did leave it for the afternoon to firm up. In building it I got small, insignificant amounts of snow in my wrist cuffs/gloves, without really noticing at the time. Later in the night, we were out in the forest but fairly immobile, and the effects of that small amount of moisture in my gloves made it very difficult for me to keep my hands warm. I learnt that you really don't want to get damp in that kind of environment!

I also tried three different glove systems over the few days. I found the most effective for keeping warm were some old synthetic trekmate primoloft mittens (but no good near a fire). Next best were a combination of cheap thin liner and leather 'cutter' work gloves, which were robust, resistant to snow and great at stopping wind. Surpsingly, the worst performing gloves were my dachstein gloves (not mitts). I found that any breeze drew the heat straight out of them. I plan to pair them with a wind/waterproof outer which should help in this respect. It is true that dachsteins form a crust of snow or ice which helps with wind resistance, but I like to cycle my gloves by stuffing a pair down my jacket to warm up. I don't want to do this with something crusted with snow.

Anyway, have a great trip!

Wayland

Hárbarðr

My glove and mitten system has developed quite a bit over the years, particularly because one of my main reasons for being in that environment is Photography.

As such I am often handling cold lumps of equipment that have fiddly controls and that leads to conflicts between insulation and dexterity.
I have opted for a modular approach which allows me to switch quickly between those priorities.

Glove-System-VII.jpg

One combination I do find very useful when handling the cameras and other delicate jobs is a thin pair of fleece gloves with a pair of Swedish Army woolen wrist warmers over them.

Glove-System-III.jpg

This combination slips easily into a pair of insulated mittens which are generally hanging on a harness around my neck.

My "Mothership" mittens for very cold conditions are a modified pair of Austrian mitten shells with Primaloft liners but they are mainly for inactive moments because they are so effective.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk

My glove and mitten system has developed quite a bit over the years, particularly because one of my main reasons for being in that environment is Photography.

As such I am often handling cold lumps of equipment that have fiddly controls and that leads to conflicts between insulation and dexterity.
I have opted for a modular approach which allows me to switch quickly between those priorities.

Glove-System-VII.jpg

One combination I do find very useful when handling the cameras and other delicate jobs is a thin pair of fleece gloves with a pair of Swedish Army woolen wrist warmers over them.

Glove-System-III.jpg

This combination slips easily into a pair of insulated mittens which are generally hanging on a harness around my neck.

My "Mothership" mittens for very cold conditions are a modified pair of Austrian mitten shells with Primaloft liners but they are mainly for inactive moments because they are so effective.

Very nice photography on your website btw.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk

Glove-System-VII.jpg

Glove-System-III.jpg

I just received a pair of those Austrian army mittens, having ordered from surplus and outdoor. For 9.99 it is pretty amazing value, and they seem to be of excellent quality. I'm chuffed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE