DIY snow shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi there, I'm going on a "wild edibles in winter" event this sunday and there is tons of snow at the moment. I have a few days to make myself some snowshoes. Do you know any tutorials on making ? Or maybe you've done them yourselves and could share a few photos or tips???

Thanks, Andy.

Hey Andy,

I have been wanting to make myself a proper pair for a while now but never get around to it.

This is one link that I have and has some pretty good info on them and how to make them with some good diagrams.
http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/snowshoes/index.htm

have a look at Simple Snowshoes & the Alaskan ones, they have a picture how to which can be printed to A4 for reference.

Wayland also posted a Winter Survival site a while back which had info on them.

There are also some youtube videos but some are pretty basic, I havent found a good video on making them yet. But one suggested you can use a frame and wrap polythene/tarp kind of material around the base. I have idea how good that is, but it does spread the weight, which is what you are looking to do.

Keep us posted if you make some. :)

Andy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
WinterTrekking was the forum I posted about, loads of useful info and contacts on there.
sled.gif

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
One thing that has really stopped me is the articles mention steaming the wood over a large pan, this is something I don't have. Are there any other methods for bending the wood that would work just as good (no rhyming was intentional :p ).

do you have a wallpaper steamer that should do the job a goodun

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Pandabean, thanks, links works fine and the book about Canadian natives is a good read :D shame there's no spare time to do that. I think I might be going for this type, or more like Wayland's mentioned Nato style. I think hazel wormed up on fire or in a hot water should bend that much. I hope to find some decent materials to make the threads, maybe something will come up in DIY store.

Foreswalker, no way I'll get them by Sunday buying on E-bay, it takes a week go get here. What do you mean by Roycraft pattern?

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I have seen a piece of upvc pipe, an old piece of vacuum cleaner pipe and an old kettle used to make a steamer for some fairly thin-ish ash before - works like a dream it would seem.

When I say "seen" I DO mean a youtube thingy that I can no longer find, could have sworn I saved it somewhere

ATB
Dave

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
One thing that has really stopped me is the articles mention steaming the wood over a large pan, this is something I don't have. Are there any other methods for bending the wood that would work just as good (no rhyming was intentional :p ).

What about using one of those wallpaper steamers plumbed into a large diameter pipe , create a shelf so the wood that's to be bent doesn't sit in hot water and away you go......er in theory anyway ....not tested it myself but I understand walking stick makers have used this method.

The wall paper steamer idea sounds good despite one tiny problem. I don't have one or know who has one. :p
I read that you can soak hot water in rags and "rub it in" or wrap around the wood which may be an easier solution.

Andy, it was hazel and snowshoes I was looking for when I stumbled on that google book as i guess it would be easier to manipulate based on making those willow baskets at the moot.
On that forum Wayland posted there is a thread under the snowshoes part and its got pictures of a wall of a store with all the snow shoes possible. I am guessing there is no where in the UK that would do them? More out of interest as I would find home made ones more satisfying.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario

The ojibwa type of snowshoe uses 2 pieces of wood as the frame rather than one, and can be made without steam bending or soaking. Sorry, but I have no links to
helpful sites on this...I just remember seeing an old guy making them when I was a kid...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE