Delamere working weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like marmite :)
Do you tend to find the same mushrooms in the same place year after year then?
I dont like marmite....... I love it :D

Fungi sort of grow in the same place, but most species dont fruit every year. The oysters should be there next year. The lot we picked were unprecedentedly wormed. I have never seen such a badly infected foray especially for september. Russulas rarely get wormed, but they are nearly impossible to ID in the field, but if you are in a familiar area and know the taste of what is most likely to grow there you can collect and be reasonably sure of what you are picking. A spore print can take up to 12 hours which is why I didn't cook them at the time. I didn't want to feed anyone duds.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Mine are dried ready to use another day. Didn't get too much from them, but enough to fill one tray of the dehydrator so not a bad effort. It'll keep me going. I'll get out and about when time permits and find some up here!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I didn't see the pictures before posting. Who threw the admin bomb at my tent? Seriously though, nice pics, and you made my mess look like an art form! I really didn't get a grip on it this time for some reason, gotta square my admin away next time!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Spot on photos Alex. I had a really great weekend see you at middlewood.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Got my axe sorted out aswell. Those that saw me finding the nail in the wood will tell you that they were only small dinks, but after chopping through all of those logs and the edge staying perfect, i was very dissapointed that the hidden nail ruined the edge.

I tried those diamond stones on it but they are so aggressive. I got the leathermans out and used the diamond file from that. It is very fine and I filed the nicks out (Only about 0.5 mm deep) and then went to the wet and dry on the mouse mat. After that, a quick blast on the strop and you wouldn't know it had ever happened!

Unfortunately, I don't have any logs to test it on! :(

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
just want to add my thanks to Andy for arranging another great weekend, xylaria for my first taste of wild mushrooms, spam for the chocolate pudding :naughty: and everyone else that turned up making it a great weekend. pics are excellent alex, the one of your tipi across the lake is now my wallpaper ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It could have been looked upon as being a bit anti social, but you should have pitched facing that lake. To wake up and look straight out over it from the warmth of your sleeping bag would take some beating!

xylaria

It could have been looked upon as being a bit anti social, but you should have pitched facing that lake. To wake up and look straight out over it from the warmth of your sleeping bag would take some beating!

Yeah! For those you that couldn't make it, I was in the hammock on tree on the far right of the picture. I got up and took my tarp down, the cuddled back into my pit. There was a jay in tree I wouldn't of seen with the tarp up. Life just doesn't get better. :approve:

Native americans pitch their tipis so the door faces the sunrise. It can be very spiritual to watch the sunrise or set.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My god, I forgot to put my few pictures up. I took four all weekend! :rolleyes:

Here's The Mushroom Lady, the reason she is laughing is because somebody mentioned that there was
one woman working whilst about five blokes were stood around watching!

HPIM2935.jpg

Simon (Soar) getting stuck into the ditch, which at the end of the day was running freely,
and we had fun chopping the small trees down that were cluttering the ditch up.
The stink was unreal. Just to the back of the picture is The Bog of Eternal Stench,
which my eldest, Jo'anne, decided to lose her boot in! :rolleyes:

HPIM2934.jpg

So, after recovering Jo'annes boot and getting her changed into dry kit, I had the dilemma
of what to do for foot wear. I washed her boot under running water, so it was soaking and
she couldn't wear that. Therefore, I had to imrovise some footwear from cotton bags lined
with bracken and tied with the Hex guy lines! They proved quite popular!

HPIM2936.jpg

HPIM2937.jpg

And those were my four photos. Whenever I have my camera, I never use it!

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Not really my best side, nice photos Spam, my wife loves Joanne's shoes that you made fella, I think they could catch on.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE