Delamere working weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
SOrry to hear that addo hope your op goes ok, enjoy the drinking ehm I mean rest.

Simon.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Excuse me for poking in, but please explain a chain saw license?

I have always thought it would be a good idea to require a license for a hammer since so much good furniture is ruined by the inept use of them.

Do you need a license to own a chain saw? or to use one? Or just on Forest lands?

Is your license limited to a 12 inch bar or if you have a license does it cover all sizes?

S0rry for the questions. This concept is so foreign to me. I can't imagine being restricted from going to the local hardware, buying a saw and cutting any tree on my property. In fact I have done.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hi weaver.

Chainsaw licence is just to prove you have had the training in safe use, maintenance, felling etc and its really for contractors for use in the workplace. the training can be extended for all other tree related stuff. Last I heard anyone can still buy a chainsaw (in uk) without one, upto any size (about 4' bar) except the smallest saw on the market! a top handled arborist type, cause of kick back probs and one handed fun. need a climbing ticket for that one.

Hope that helps.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Goose, have you found a source for Stags Breath yet? I cannot get hold of it for love nor money apart from online, where they want a lot of money! Ten quid postage for a single bottle! :eek:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Goose, have you found a source for Stags Breath yet? I cannot get hold of it for love nor money apart from online, where they want a lot of money! Ten quid postage for a single bottle! :eek:

Nope, I am always looking and not found it yet:( :( , If I do I will post up and let you know. Wonder if it is worth emailing the suppliers to find out which shops they have sold it to locally?

Been talking to the people at Forest Camp and been told that we can't use chainsaws:( , they buy in any trade work(plumbers, sparks, tree surgeons etc) so that they are covered for insurance and any come back there might be, sorry about that to all those that offered their services:You_Rock_ . But we are still wanted for other work around the site, scrub clearing and ditching etc, there are tools on site but I dare say we may have enough sharp impliments amongst us to clear a bit of woods!
Up to now we also have to pay the £4 camping fee, I think they have give free camping to groups doing work before and little if any work got done:deal: , if we get a reduction while there it is a bonus but can't promise at the minute:eek:
Hope to see you all there, it should pretty much work the same as a normal meet, except I will have to get out of my hammock a bit earlier:eek: , the evenings will still be the same and there should be time to do bushcrafti stuff during the day too.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have spoke to a friend in Scotland to try and source some, and I've tried to get it in through a noumber of offies' but no joy. I'm dry at the moment and get by by sniffing the empty bottle!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Anyone bringing a bow and some arra's? I had a go on Guyceps' bow at the EMCCU meet last weekend, with a 60 lb draw I struggled, but it was my first go ever on a bow and it was tremendous fun! Maybe one with a lower draw weight though this time please!

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
S o r r y Ben and I wont be able to make this one. Just realised it's Wedding Anniversary. Daredn't miss that or there will be trouble at every other hint of Bushcrafting.
Ian.

xylaria

But we are still wanted for other work around the site, scrub clearing and ditching etc, there are tools on site but I dare say we may have enough sharp impliments amongst us to clear a bit of woods!
Up to now we also have to pay the £4 camping fee, I think they have give free camping to groups doing work before and little if any work got done:deal: , if we get a reduction while there it is a bonus but can't promise at the minute:eek:
Hope to see you all there, it should pretty much work the same as a normal meet, except I will have to get out of my hammock a bit earlier:eek: , the evenings will still be the same and there should be time to do bushcrafti stuff during the day too.

Pesty weeds also tend to be the edible ones, so I think it may be possible to combine a wild food workshop with the scrub clearance. It is much easier to try differant methods of cooking when you have a large sackful for everyone to have a taste. Maybe we could try some earthworms as well.

I always feel a bit timid about harvesting the plants at delemere to get some grub, which is why I go along the path instead. So think this will really useful. But we will have to see what needs to be done first obviously. Bushcraft been about using what you find, not hopeing about what you can find, and all that.

Wandering star shame you are not coming you are always up for trying the wierd food:yuck:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I reckon if I get out tomorrow, I could get some snails and purge them during the week. How about it?

Oh, and I'll try most things, but I draw the line at testicles!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Tried the makers site? £17 each for 1-2 bottles inc postage + VAT here
gets cheaper the more you buy ;)

If i could make this one i'd have offered to do a group buy :(

HTH
Steve

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I'm really 'piddled' off as due to me stupidly breaking my right hand I am not able to offer my services at this meet - or even pitch a tent/tarp - I can't even drive so getting there will be a challenge so the best I can hope for is a day visit and that will be subject to me persuading Nat to drive her little punto down.

I'm really sorry Andy :(

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I'm really 'piddled' off as due to me stupidly breaking my right hand I am not able to offer my services at this meet - or even pitch a tent/tarp - I can't even drive so getting there will be a challenge so the best I can hope for is a day visit and that will be subject to me persuading Nat to drive her little punto down.

I'm really Andy :(

Can't help with getting there but we could help you set up and put away, if you can get there for the weekend come down, you can still brew up with one hand!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Tried the makers site? £17 each for 1-2 bottles inc postage + VAT here
gets cheaper the more you buy ;)

If i could make this one i'd have offered to do a group buy :(

HTH
Steve

Seen this in the other thread. If anyone wants a bottle, go and get your name down and I'll bring them to Delamere. I'll square the money away when i get there!

:beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE